Gunboards Forums banner

8mm ammo advice for new , not surplus please

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  guy sajer 
#1 ·
No news that our sport is experiencing great difficulty in feeding our firearms . Lately I've been looking at 8mmx57 Mauser ammo and I'm unable to even locate any US commercial hunting loads like Federal , Rem or Win soft points . Even the import choices are tough to find . I did see on the SOG site they have some new Romanian ball in stock . However I've read in this forum some are having trouble with this ammo specifically that the rounds are not allowing the bolts to fully close . It's being discussed in another thread in The Bunker .

I have today located a small supply of Hornady commercial "Vintage Match" 82298 http://www.hornady.com/store/8x57-JS-196gr-BTHP-Vintage-Match/

Has anyone used this in their K98's ? Opinions other than the higher cost ?

Thank you !

#4 ·
I've used it before in other calibers . I agree it's good stuff . Thanks . :)

In this case a local dealer has some Hornady available but nothing else at this time . I'm not going to buy a large qty , just some casual plinking . I was curious about this specific load .

#5 ·
Plinking with hornady 8mm?!? It is a 196gr HP-BT with a nominal velocity of 2500 fps, I see wasted potential about the plinking with the vintage match however it does have good brass to reload with. I plink with PRVI or wolf gold 8mm, the last two brands will be notably easier on the wallet. Hopes this helps!

#7 ·
Thanks guys . My plan is to reload and the Hornady brass seemed like a good choice . I agree it's not the cheapest out their but for me it's available tomorrow .

I'll watch for some Prvi to become available though for future use .

This forum is the best !

#9 ·
Depends on what you want to do with the ammo. Plinking, hunting, or exc. accuracy at long range.

I don't see where Hornady tells what grain bullet that HP ammo has. I doubt it is 196 grn. but I could be wrong on that.

It is HP. HP for match shooting? Does not sound right. HP are usually lighter and faster than FMJ.

The brass is good for re loading and Hornady in gen. has exc. ammo.

However the mil specs thing they advertise on a HP bullet sounds like B.S. 8mm specs vary widely in milsurp ammo. So which ones are they talking about?

So it depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle and ammo.

NO commercial ammo has ever come up to accuracy specs of the Yugo 196 grn. FMJ from the seventies or newer. In all of our years of testing many rifles and all ammo available in quantity on the market over the years.

A GOOD reloader can come close with right bullet. But unfortunatly the 196 grn. bullets from the old German ammo from the thirties is scarce as hens teeth.

FWIW. Most states require SP or HP for hunting. So options are limitied for GOOD ammo. It takes some work and testing to see what your particular rifle likes. THey are NOT all the same.

Hornady in gen. should be good hunting ammo. But you MUST test it our for POI and consistancy from YOUR rifle. Not what someone tells you how your rifle SHOULD shoot it on the internet.

People conception of accuracy varies widely. So specifics are needed when telling the accuracy stories.

Also on a side note. Romanian 8mm is good for plinking only. It is not designed for your K98 or Yugo mausers. Most of it has a steel case, not a problem, with a light bullet, not compatible with short barreled Mausers.

It has a hist. of being able to cycle easier in difficult rifles. Accuracy is pretty good for plinking, but not for serious work and for sure not for long range serious work.

Most of our 8mm shooters use different 8mm for different purposes. Iffy stuff for gen. plinking, and only exc. ammo for long range work. To use exc. ammo for plinking is folly and a waste of ammo.
To use inferior ammo for long range accuracy work is like jousting at windmills, a waste of time.

#11 ·
http://www.hornady.com/store/8x57-JS-196gr-BTHP-Vintage-Match/

The bullet info , velocity , etc is on their site . I believe it's intended to replicate a military ball load but with more precision . Most all match ammo has a HPBT design bullet . It likely has no expansion properties .

You ever try and shoot through a windmill ? My ball hits the blade everytime at Jungle Golf . ;)
I've wasted so many rounds through my Class 3 guns over the years I really don't want to know the amount . I had fun though :)

Depends on what you want to do with the ammo. Plinking, hunting, or exc. accuracy at long range.

I don't see where Hornady tells what grain bullet that HP ammo has. I doubt it is 196 grn. but I could be wrong on that.

It is HP. HP for match shooting? Does not sound right. HP are usually lighter and faster than FMJ.

The brass is good for re loading and Hornady in gen. has exc. ammo.

However the mil specs thing they advertise on a HP bullet sounds like B.S. 8mm specs vary widely in milsurp ammo. So which ones are they talking about?

So it depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle and ammo.

NO commercial ammo has ever come up to accuracy specs of the Yugo 196 grn. FMJ from the seventies or newer. In all of our years of testing many rifles and all ammo available in quantity on the market over the years.

A GOOD reloader can come close with right bullet. But unfortunatly the 196 grn. bullets from the old German ammo from the thirties is scarce as hens teeth.

FWIW. Most states require SP or HP for hunting. So options are limitied for GOOD ammo. It takes some work and testing to see what your particular rifle likes. THey are NOT all the same.

Hornady in gen. should be good hunting ammo. But you MUST test it our for POI and consistancy from YOUR rifle. Not what someone tells you how your rifle SHOULD shoot it on the internet.

People conception of accuracy varies widely. So specifics are needed when telling the accuracy stories.

Also on a side note. Romanian 8mm is good for plinking only. It is not designed for your K98 or Yugo mausers. Most of it has a steel case, not a problem, with a light bullet, not compatible with short barreled Mausers.

It has a hist. of being able to cycle easier in difficult rifles. Accuracy is pretty good for plinking, but not for serious work and for sure not for long range serious work.

Most of our 8mm shooters use different 8mm for different purposes. Iffy stuff for gen. plinking, and only exc. ammo for long range work. To use exc. ammo for plinking is folly and a waste of ammo.
To use inferior ammo for long range accuracy work is like jousting at windmills, a waste of time.

#12 ·
I usually try to avoid US loaded commercial 8mm of ALL types because of the fact that it is going to be loaded to where it isn't going to blow up a 1888 Commission Rifle. Power wise, you would likely do as well with a .30/30.

I figure you would do better than going with US 8mm commercial ammo from about any manufacturer by rolling your own. THEN, you have total control over what you are actually shooting, and do not have to guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.