Gunboards Forums banner

7.62X54r on Stripper Clips

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  1 EYE 
#1 ·
Just took delivery of a couple of cans of the Mosin fodder on strippers that SOG had advertised. Real clean, good looking ammo.
I don't recognize the headstamp. It is a star at 12:00, number 10 at 3:00, 3 at 9:00 and manufac date "50" at 6:00.
I wanted to look this stamp up on the Mosin/Nagant.com Ammo site, but I have been gone for a while and I can't find it.
Can any one help me with:
1) What this ammo is
2) How can I get back on to the Mosin/Nagant pages
Thanks in advance,
John

#5 ·
It's '50 Bulgy light ball. I bought the same stuff a few weeks back. It shoots fine and seems to have a little extra punch to it. I reloaded some of my other Bulgy LB on the clips when they were empty. Plus, you can get your money's worth from reselling the clips :)

#8 ·
You have to call them. Apparently the website is updated every solar eclipse, so if you want any of the ammo, I suggest you call them. The 50's Bulgarian light ball ammo quality is poor in my opinion (bad quality brass - case splits reported by many users), but the clips are very nice. If you don't need the clips, I'd pass on the ammo.

#9 ·
I got a bunch of it when it was 30 bucks a can what is the price now?

I only opened 8 cans (one from each case) to look for dates, split cases. It seems to be like all of the bulg 762X54R some have splits and some dont. And the clips are very good they work good.

#10 ·
Here's a few examples of the case splits after use. 1950 dated Bulgarian light ball (on strippers) fired out of 3 different Mosin Nagant rifles. Had a few nice blasts of hot air in my face when I used these. I'm sure the quality will vary from lot to lot and year to year. In this trip to the range I found the 10 split cases shown below out of the 50 rounds I fired.

#17 ·
I was able to order a can of 250 rds of the Bulgarian light ball on stripper clips from S.O.G. this morning. $58 and change delivered to SoCal.
I not only emailed S.O.G. an ammunition statement & a picture of my driver's license, I also emailed them a picture of a signed copy of my C&R FFL. So, do you think they'll email me back with a password to get into their website, or do I have to call and bug them?

#19 ·
Actually, I guess they were satisfied with an email attachment. Today I sent an email asking if there was a tracking number for the ammo shipment. I also asked if I could have a password, since I'd emailed a signed copy of my C&R FFL.
They emailed right back with the tracking number, and a password.
Wow.

#20 ·
Got It

Friends, this is some good-looking ammo.
My can was waiting for me on my doorstep when I returned from work late Thursday night. The delivery was delayed four days because of the wildfires here in San Diego.
The box the can came in was discreet. It didn't scream, "Be scared, neighbor, there's ammunition in this box."
The ammo can was pristine, with no dents, scuffing, or signs of rust. The can had a little metal tab sticking out, which I assume is there to open it up. I couldn't get it to work, and couldn't remember when I'd last had a tetanus shot, so I resorted to one of the trusty spam-can openers from a batch of Albanian. Obviously, there's no rim around the Bulgarian can, so I had to auger a hole in a weak spot, then kind of work the can-opener around to cut through enough metal to open a flap. I was careful, and didn't damage the ammo inside.
The ammo's wrapped in 20's in brown paper with twine securing it. I was greatly pleased when I actually saw the rounds. The brass is bright and shiny, and the bullets look well-seated, the primers well-sealed.
The stripper clips look to be blued ("blacked"?) in some fashion. I haven't had a chance (we're busy here in San Diego) yet to try it out in a rifle magazine, but, just by hand, the rounds seem to come out cleanly and easily. The strippers have crisp bends, so I'm betting they'll fit well in the indentations on my rifle receivers.
250 rounds just fit inside a U.S. .30 caliber ammo can.
Of course, I haven't yet shot any of this, but from what I've seen, I highly recommend this stuff. I you haven't already, call Southern Ohio Gun today, and order a can (or several) for yourself.

#21 · (Edited)
I have opened over 50 cans of the bulg 54R The stuff that is on clips and have never seen it come in 20 round packs. Is this ammo 1950s dated or 1980s? I have bulg from the 80s in 20 rd packs but it has no clips. What is the date on your new can lwaldron? And what is the count of the ammo in your is case is it 240 or 260? I would like to order some. And i need to know what to ask for. Thanks.

#22 ·
lwaldron: good luck down there in San Diego, We're surrounded by fires here in L.A., but all are 20 or more miles away. Lots of ashes on the cars.

you'll love the stripper clips, they work great. I tried them out a few weeks ago out in the desert near Rosamond.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.