Gunboards Forums banner

Solvent Trap Adaptor???

26K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Oldstuffer 
#1 · (Edited)
Found something intersting today, do a search for "Solvent Trap Adaptor" on e-bay. You will see an interesting device for cleaning your gun.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-So...145&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=390504995382&

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-...046?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257789fdbe

Well I suppose it would keep the solvent off the carpet when your cleaning the bore.... but I suspect you may got to jail if you have one of these.

Seems easy enough to make one, but its got to be illegal.

Well illegal without a tax stamp anyways...

#5 ·
Have seen youtube videos and the silencer is efficient enough that you can hear the guns slide action over the report . I think the serial number goes on the filter if you pay the tax stamp. If you don't pay the stamp they can't arrest you for having a new oil filter and the adapter, but get caught with a carboned up oil filter and adapter that may be a different story.

#6 ·
Nope, the threaded adapter is the numbered part you need the stamp for, the oil filter is treated the same as replacable wipers by the ATF. I knew about oil can silensers, but to see them on e-bay is a bit humorus.

Though he has no mention of the NFA or the fact that installing this is ILLEGAL. Not to mention e-bays crappy fire arms policies probaly don't allow these...

#7 ·
Where would you put the serial number on a pillow?

A very wise man once said a computer is an idiot with a million fingers to count on. Looks like government's the same.

#14 ·
richard, bent and all,
if you do some research you will find some very interesting info/mis-info.
one company sells BOTH a registerable suppressor with a removable expansion chamber( oil filter) and a SOLVENT TRAP adapter.
owning a car, would seem to cover owning an oil filter.
owing an oil filter with an extra hole in it would be hard to explain.
while they seem to work ON A HANDGUN, the 5.45x39 seemed loud, and...thier large diameter is detrimental to AIMING....
common oil filter thread size is 3/4-16........in case you feel like making a solvent trap for cleaning your guns.

all ya'all have a good day
mike in co

#16 · (Edited)
dick,
i never claimed to be a sniper..NEVER....
i do regularly shoot sub 1/2 moa groups....that part is very close to correct...closer to .25 actually....i do a fair amount of benchrest shooting.

one should not take comments out of context.....
i said i READ CFR in those areas......'cause they were areas i worked/had interest in/ or some exposure to....

i never claimed to be a LAWYER...they have nothing to do with right or wrong, innocent or guilt..they work for money to disprove the case against thier client with no concern for the clients innocence or guilt....no morals all money......not me.

it is strange it has taken you so long to figure things out...i knew you were near uselss since your first post on my rifle...

so maybe i am smarter than you...no not maybe... I AM...but not a big thing in your case.
YOU HAVE A GOOD DAY
mike in co

#17 ·
You guys gotta stop this fighting like kids. I'm from NY and silencers are banned here. The adapter would be a gray area if the right is person asked (like an atf agent). To your local law dog county or state the adapter would only be a chunk of metal without the filter on it. If it's assembled -- your going to jail because of our stupid laws. It would seem to fall in line with the idea of -- have a flare gun -- not illegal to own. Next -- have a 45 caliber insert that fits the flare gun -- not illegal to own. Put them together and you have just made a pistol and that requires a permit otherwise it will be illegal. If your in a state that there legal in --- the number according to what I've seen on youtube goes on the filter. I will attempt to find the videos to support this. You kids gotta stop acting stupid -- you both seem like highly intelligent people and your letting 100's of people see your in-mature and childish. Stop fighting and show people how smart you both are.

#19 ·
saw a home made design...based on Maxim design but modified.....to be a muzzle break.....
but unscrew and wrap steel wool soaked around the cork screw shape, spray wd 30, screw housing back on....
22 cal sub sonics...you hear firing pin hit the shell and a posh sound...
take out the wool it was quite but a break...

now to topic....if you can find a use, legal, or illegal.......anythings out there for the interested.....
its your intentions, the paper trail, the involvement in something you shouldn't....leading back to you...your crime, your demise.....and oil filter will not clean that mess of the floor!

i once found a Maxim silencer ser 34# i believe?....pre ww 1 in new condition... in a bunch of gun stuff given to me by a collector that was dieing...
i was to sale his estate of guns.....long story short 7 months after he died and guns sold 5 weeks later....i was cleaning org. in basement found this Styrofoam container in bottom of all the stuff he had given me....?
i dumped out the greased up tube and a brace of sorts?....i
t was later what i believed to be a silencer?????
what to figure on?....lots of things...is it real, can you keep it? do you want it?......no!

my conclusion may surprise you.....i de-milled it in a press....drilling holes through it, not messing up the written info....
99% perfect.......till then.
i had it appraised and donated it to NRA museum in my name and the friend that died......wrote the tax free donation off my taxes.....not hiding any thing.

i know many will shake, rock, roll.... I'm in no need for it, the legal trouble it would bring, its the law not to be broken ....nor do i have any uses for it......
historically the museum said Hiram his self made, handled this one...
they had the attachments to fit it on 03A3 but not the actual silencer....millions will get to see it now!

assassins we are not....death dealers, no .... a novelty at most bragging rights.... yes the thoughts brighten eyes turn ears ....you couldn't even paper this one....too late.......if you go to the museum and see it....... you can thank me and my dear old friend.......

as for the passion....arugments.....typying leaves out a lot of communication norms....a misused phrase a wrong tense, word, or incomplete thought ...causes misunderstandings.....defensiveness.....many hurt feelings......that would not have festered in face to face relationships, conversations....
both of you are great guys with a lot of info to offer..........i offer peace!
<><dk

#24 ·
That's where I saw em today in my SGN, first thing I thought of was wow, that's a sneaky way of selling what people shouldn't be using an oil filter for. As long as the filter had no hole through it or powder residue in it, it's not a silencer, but the very thing they are selling it as, a solvent catcher.

#27 ·
smack boom.....the real silence begins after you hear the boom!

shoot one ....its only silent at the source with standard velocity ammo...
as the bullet passes every alley way, telephone pole, structure.....makes a boom...
I am told unless subsonic ammo is used...but
some questions still need to be answered
why would I personally need one?,
want one?.....
get caught with one by ATF following up something else?...
and sale list tracked easy....

#28 ·
smack boom.....the real silence begins after you hear the boom!

shoot one ....its only silent at the source with standard velocity ammo...
as the bullet passes every alley way, telephone pole, structure.....makes a boom...
I am told unless subsonic ammo is used
The "sonic boom" of a bullet is a "snap", not a "boom", it is not very loud, because it emanates from a very small shock wave, and would have to miss your head pretty closely for you to hear it.

RichardinNY.....................
ar15 is obviously an expert not to be taken lightly or trifled with.................

After all, there is, in this world, a college professor, holder of PHD's in Astro-physics and Philosophy, who is also a self-acknowledged expert in the use of explosives to demolish high-rise buildings, even tho he has absolutely zero actual experience in the matter.
The fact that his opinions are completely opposite to those of actual experienced experts in that field serves only to show the ignorance of those experts.

He may also drink Dos Equis, it is unknown.................

Stay thirsty my friend................... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.