Gunboards Forums banner

Erma dewat machine gun?

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  volksjager 
#1 ·
Was at a gun show today and a dealer at the far back with a small table pulls out from under his table a a old Erma werke submachine gun the one with the wood stock with fore end grasp handle he says he got it in a box of spare parts and it is demilled a ( wall hanger) and I could have it for $200 What bothers me is that the only part that is demilled is that it has some holes drilled in the barrel the receiver tube and all other parts were ok Am I wrong but I have been told that the receiver is the gun and under law it should be cut in three pieces he has no paperwork saying this Dewat was grandfathered in from the ones that came in in the late 50s is this gun legal? looks to me that all it would take to make this gun a MG again is a replacement barrel It would make a nice wall hanger but what would ATf say?

#4 ·
Even if it were a legal dewat (which it probably isn't), you could not purchase it without going through all the BATF paperwork. The fact that it was pulled out from under the table and offered for a paltry $200, presumably cash and carry, should tell you something: Don't walk away, Run.

M

#6 ·
Sounds like the Spanish made ones sold by SARCO years ago

In addition to the holes drilled in barrel and receiver they were welded and bolt face was ground. These are totally legal and require no paper work and $200.00 is a good price for one. Just verify it is Spanish as these were about the only ones done this way.

#8 ·
Went back to the gun show today to look at the Erma it has been sold the receiver was in three pieaces and had been welded back the fireing pin was intact just holes drilled in barrel . What do you think??
Depends. If the receiver was welded back in such a way that the gun might actually function with a replacement barrel, then it was completely illegal.
If it was welded into a solid inert mass without any possibility that a round could be chambered and fired, then probably OK.

#10 ·
talk to Randy at Mtarmory. he made me a couple of barrels for a MP-34 in 7.62x25. very good work, good price, and a quick turnaround he also does awesome blueing. send him an e-mail at questions@mtarmory.com.

if you have one of the Spanish EMP's that was in 9mm largo you might be able to have a barrel made in 9mm luger or 7.62x25 (check that your mags are wide enough for 7.62) these calibres are cheaper and more available than Largo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.