Gunboards Forums banner

Re-installing the trigger guard

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Nipperdog 
#1 ·
I removed the trigger guard from the IJ-70 thinking I would remove the barrel (I have the kit and another barrel for it, but decided not to install it.) So, now I want to put the trigger guard back in place. Having a hell of a time trying to push the spring back in and getting the guard retainer pin back in. I followed the instructions by pushing the spring in and getting it to latch onto the small ledge then pushing the guard in, not as easy as it sounds. Any hints out there about aligning the pin while pushing the the guard in? I start the pin before pushing down but damned if I can get it to match up.

#2 ·
I'm no gunsmith, but I've had luck just using my bench vise (with non-marring liner) to hold the frame. Then I'll just hold the trigger guard in place with a slave pin. Once that's in place I'll LIGHTLY tap the trigger guard pin in place from the other side with a non marring hammer.

Without a vise, I have no idea how I'd get that thing back together.

#6 ·
SUCCESS

I had to go down to Home Depot and purchase a small table vice that clamps to the table. Got a couple of slats of wood to put on the sides. Still couldn't get the pin in even using a slave pin. Just needed a third hand so I asked my neighbor friend to give me a hand. He pushed down on it and I put the pin in. I don't think I will be removing the trigger guard any more. I did notice one thing the Mak. didn't seem to understand American cuss words and I don't know any Russian ones so that might of made a difference. Thanks for everyone's help and ideas.....

#15 ·
If you haven't removed the trigger guard when you pull the barrel, the trigger guard spring will remove itself, as it rests up against the bottom of the barrel. You might not find it again when it launches into the stratosphere. The only way to get that spring back in there is to remove the trigger guard and put the spring in after the barrel is installed.

I think Chinese curse word work best...

#17 ·
As noted in an earlier posting, I replaced my trigger guard with the help of a pipe vice, two blocks of wood, a slave pin and the extra hand of my wife. Another member stated he could do so with just his hands, yea right! Nevertheless, he posted a video of his doing so on the forum. I cannot remember who the person was, or how long ago, still he did it which should always remind us to "Never say Never!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.