Gunboards Forums banner

Difference in M.88 and M.88-90?

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  Krag 
#1 ·
Can you guys tell me the difference between these two rifles? I am unsure if there is anything more of a difference between the sights or if that is the extent of the difference. Or if there is more?

Any and all help is appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
Only one, graduations of rear sight:
  1. 2500 schritt max for M.88,
  2. 3000 max for M.88-90

To create a M.88-90, the M.88 sights were augmented with additional plates. See below the two ways this was done:

And, anticipating the next question - differences between M.88-90 and M.90, here is another comparison. Left is M.88-90, right is M.90:

#3 ·
The M.88-90 was also intended to be used with the semi-smokeless 8mm M.90 scharfe Patrone which used a 52mm case as opposed to the M.88 scharfe Patrone's 50mm case.

The M.93 scharfe Patone reverted to the 50mm case but as all A-H Mannlicher rifles had very "generous" throats in their barrels they could use the shorter or longer cartridge interchangeably.

#4 · (Edited)
This might be a stupid question, but what was the chronology of these two weapons, in regards, to their designations. To put it more plainly, did they:

1. Adopt the 88-90 sights to make 88-90's, and then make the 90's exclusively?
2. Design the 90 with the different barrel contour and sights, then retrofit all the 88's to make the 88-90's?

#7 ·
I might also add that there is the 86, 86-90, 88 ,88-90 , 90, and the 88-90-14. They did this to make it more exciting for collectors so they would spend a small fortune to have a complete collection.
dg13

#8 ·
Yo Gents,

Don't forget that per Nick's excellent photos, the chamber of the M90 was beefed up in design to handler the higher pressures of the new cartridge.

When I get home I'll try and remember to post comparative photos of the M86, M86/90, M88/90 and M90. This is why it's near impossible to find an original Austro-Hungarian issue Model 1886 Mannlicher. The remaining rifles that had not been exported were converted to the 8mm cartridge. I have two examples in my collection.

Great photos Nick!

Warmest regards,

JPS

#10 ·
Don't forget the 88-24!

#12 ·
But you are forgetting the M.88-90 S:

Now, this one is hard to find!

#13 ·
Updated for 8x56?

#14 ·
Yep:

#19 ·
No deaths or injuries were ever reported in Bulgaria, the apparent converter and user of these rifles. So I ain't kissin' nuthin'! :eek:

#18 ·
With the wedge-lock, shouldn't you be more worried about it Ross-ing on you?.
Wedge-lock bolts, just a few examples (OK, they are called tilt-bolts, the same thing in essence): MAS 49, SKS 45, BREN... Were their users worried? Don't think so.

Asymmetric locking, locking with the rear end rather than the forward end, etc. Really, really bad design and backward, too, say some writers. I kind of disagree with that, however. It's the execution of the principle that matters, not some theoretical advantage/disadvantage.

#17 ·
Yeah, I'll just add it to the list. Right now, and for quite some time, I've focused in four areas. Mannlicher Steyrs, Mosins, Swiss rifles, and Swedes. And I love them all the same. All are even interrelated and have been used by the other countries at some point in time.

#22 · (Edited)
Yo Gents,

If we want to get picky, you can also add the Model 1888/95 which was the nomenclature according to Joschi and Heino when Model 88s were rebarreled during the war with M95 barrels and rear sights.

Regarding recoil, you Gents must be joking??? None of these rifles is that bad and certainly won't cause any lasting damage to your rotator cuff or otherwise if you use proper shooting form!

Case in point here is one of my 95 lb clients with the lion she shot with my Sako .375H&H. I have fired everything up to and including the .500 NE 3" and the 460 Weatherby on a regular basis without incident. I dated a little gal in Zim for a while who was about 5'2" and 110 pounds. She could fire 50 rounds of .458 Win Mag per session from the bench without flinching or pulling a single shot. The ability to handle recoil is LEARNED.

I'll get off my soap box now!

Getting back on topic, I also have an S marked cut down Bulgarian marked M88 that I picked up from Darrell. I have shot it a couple of times with light handloads, but would not care to shoot full house military loads in it based on both the action design and the age of the rifle. Still, I have never heard of one of these rifles "letting go", but wouldn't want to be the first confirmed case either!

Warmest regards,

JPS

#25 ·
John: is she still one of your clients? And she married? If not you really ought to introduce us. Hey, you can't blame a guy for trying, I've been divorced for 15 years and am almost (?) ready to settle down again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.