Gunboards Forums banner

How about a SMLE VI survivor poll?

14K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  Damien 
#1 · (Edited)
How about we do a Mk VI survivor poll like the one done for the Mk V rifles? I have one with a higher ser. # than the 1025 production figure listed in Skennertons' book.

#3 · (Edited)
The Mk.VI series....

And none of these fit the mold, serial number wise.
Top one is an un-dated, unmarked Mk. VI... A Mk. VI Trials rifle ??? I'll tear it down again and photograph the markings on the barrel. There are NO markings on the butt socket.
Second is a 1930 dated Mk. VI
Third is a 1931 dated No.4 Mk.1

#9 ·
So, from what we see here

So it sounds like there are five (count 'em) five! here on the Boards. That is more rare than the fabled rocking horse poo! I've heard that there are 12 known examples in the US. Any one else heard that? Where did / does that originate? If you see a Trials No. 4 for sale, I'm looking!!

#11 ·
Mk VI pole

Mine is a 1930, then re-worked, now serial # 366A. Fortunately it kept the original, checkered fore-end, and front sight protector. A rifle I prefer, is my 1931, A 2200, No. 4 Mk I Trials, that is still 1OO% original. Looking at all those Enfield inspection marks just gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. (Yes, collectors are a sick bunch, I'm the first to admit it.) This one was converted to a (T), and came in a chest marked, (T LESS TELESCOPE), a situation soon rectified. Warren, if you glance back at this thread, could you let me know if your MK VI's have a stamped cut-off like the No. 4 Trials, or the nicely machined one of the Mk V's. Guessing the lack of "inspection" hole is a given.

Thanks,

Terry H.

#14 · (Edited)
mkV1 here.

I have 1930, serial ?0207, reserialed to A75. Had no4 wood, now restored to near new mk6 standard with checkering. Found at gun show in Los Angeles, 2003.
The serial has strange cross out marks before the 0207, it doesn't seem to be obliterating a number, possibly a *. Roger NZ

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
No1MKVI SERIAL NO RANGE

our rifles are very close in the re-serial range, where are you located? I'm ex los angeles but now NZ.:cool:
I am in UK my rifle cost £850 when I got it but it came with what looked like a No4 cruciform bayonet, however on checking it turns out to be a 1931 marked Trials Pattern Bayonet so it makes the rifle reasonably priced in the grand scheme of things.

#17 ·
There was a guy from OZ that offered a bubbaed mark VI at a Texas gunshow about 10 years ago. I suppose the cut off forend and barrel were not replaceable. It made me sad. I think he wanted $180 for it.

#25 ·
This one is odd. Can you post a close up of the left receiver wall ? It looks like a No. 4 wall, while the No. 1 Mk VI has a rounded wall, like the No 1 Mk III. But the inlet at the safety is a Mk VI feature.
huimememememe
Post some more pics! Interesting!

#23 ·

buy it anyway, too valuable to pass up.
I'm going to guess a no4 barrel will work, my 6 looks exactly the same as.

#24 ·
No4 Trials

If its of any interest, I have A0350, a 1931 dates reciever built as a No4 Trials rifle.

Its got a matching and dated barrel and bolt complete with original pattern cocking piece, waisted foresight ears and I believe it's original Enfield marked butt with disc.

Unfortunately it has a Farzakerly rear sight and a later Sykes marked foreend handguards and one piece upper band. I guess this is because it has been fiited for a range sight plate at some time as you can see from the damage to the butt socket.:mad

Any of the missing items out there, feel free to let me know.

Attachments

#26 ·
re no1mk6

I'm not any expert on no1mk6's, I always thought their receiver looked like a no4mk1 style, ie vertical sides with a deep notch for the thumb when using the reloading clips. My rifle looks just like yours and is clearly stamped no1 mk6.
The no1 mkV circa 1922 has the same looking receiver as the no1 mk3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.