Gunboards Forums banner

HVA bolt action rifles

212K views 268 replies 82 participants last post by  Makwa 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are some of my HVA Model 46 and 640 rifles.

From left(vänster) to right(höger): Model 46B - 6.5x55, Model 648 - 8x57 (m/38 commercial action), Model 648 - 8x57 (m/38 commercial action), Model 649 - 9.3x62(m/38 commercial action), Model 640 - .30-06 (HVA/FN 98 action). The action at the top is an HVA/FN 98 action which will become a complete rifle at some time in the future.

One of my favorites. A Model 46B. These are really elegant little rifles.

A Model 648 with walnut stock and it is not d/t for scope mounts and it will remain un-d/t. It was built with the m/38 solid side wall receiver.

Close up of the M648

See less See more
Reactions: daveccarlson
#3 · (Edited)
Husqvarna 3000/1640 - .30-06

This is one of the gems of my collection. I haven't worked up enough nerve to shoot it yet, but that is coming soon. Still considering scopes to put on it and may go with a 6X Leupold. When the light catches this rifle at the right angle, the wood is just gorgeous :D This one was manufactured in 1955.

Reactions: daveccarlson
#7 ·
Dang kriggevaer! The more I look at the pictures of that 1640, the more convinced I get that you have perhaps the nicest specimen I've seen of those, even though it has those white spacers... :rolleyes:
This just proves to me that all the good 1640's went abroad, while we were left with the bland stocked examples...

Some more detail pictures wouldn't be all wrong here.

Pettson

#8 ·
Kriggevaer's rifle is a very early example of a US model 3000. The serial number is below 200,000 and is the earliest type 1640 action (note the bolt release) with the early style Monte Carlo stock (note the angled cheekpiece). I'm sure the whiteline spacers were a special request for the US market. Believe me, the wood is the exception, not the rule for Husqvarna rifles in the US.

Perhaps someday Kriggevaer will tell the tale of how he came to own this rifle. ;)

#9 ·
I'm on a borrowed computer right now, but the tale will be told in a week or two. It involves venturing forth into unexplored lands, high speed police chases, and surviving bitter arctic cold -:D

#10 ·
look at that 3000 stock next to the barrel----

i have one of these with G&H side mounts in 308, the third picture here shows what ive tried to explain how the stock was in early 3000 stocks, with the wood curving toward the barrel no shelf next to the barrel:D like the later ones, have anyone eles noticed this ive not hered or read of this change;), excellent gun, very accurate, very nice pictures shoot it :cool: and youll fall in love, mine at 200 yards will shoot with any modern hunting gun made today, that cost a lot more:eek:<><.school teacher

#11 · (Edited)
Mod 46 & Mod 649 (M96)

Here's a comparison between both models,

Picture 1 shows the sleeved barrel of the 649, the solid receiver side wall (649) and the cut cocking piece knob (649).

Picture 2 shows same, from a different angle, less the barrels.

Picture 3 shows forend and sleeved barrel (M46, M46AN and 649) .

Picture 4 shows the difference in pistol grip shapes (M46 round M649 capped).

The Pic below shows a late 640 right with an early 1600 both with schnabel stocks

#12 ·
Here's my 1st Husqvarna: a 1640 action in 6.5x55. Another Trade-Ex beauty.

Got some steel weaver bases coming and hope to find a decent scope for it soon. I'd like to see if I can take a bear with it this coming fall.

Shot it yesterday. At 50 yds managed a 3 shot group, all touching with the irons. (4" high, 1" to left) Moved to 100 yds, a little less luck but probably more to do with a less than steady rest and seeing the target with the irons.

Will report when I get a nice scope mounted on it.

#13 ·
my husky

Here are a couple of pics of my gun...
Serial number of my gun is 307088. Can anybody give me date of manufacture and some other info about the gun? I couldn't find any info on the model H-5000, but I did find these charts...
Is the following info correct for this gun?
Thanks
Jordan

name: peterstudsare Modell 1640
english name: Husky Repeating Rifle Model 1640 Husky
available chamberings: 243 Win / 270 Win / 7mm Rem Mag / 308 Win / 30-06 Spg, 5 round magazine.
Barrel length: 56cm round with fixed sights. Stamped 'HUSKY' manufacture date: 1963-1967
engravings: No.
comments: Monte Carlo stock with narrow checkered forestock with nose, no cheekrest. Husqvarna 1640 action, stamped 'Hva action'. Made for export to Canada.

PS. I live in Canada

#15 · (Edited)
Kriggevaer

Wow Kriggevaer, that 3000/1640 in 30-06 is simply one of the nicest looking rifles I have seen in a looong time!! That being said I am an idiot when it comes to buying and selling guns, I am going to sell my 1640 lightweight and devote the rest of my summer to finding a 3000 in 30-06 in that type of shape!! Infact I have visited this thread several times in the last few days to remind myself what a "dream come true" would look like!!! :eek:

#16 · (Edited)
Looking back at my pics I have been pretty lucky with the four Husqvarnas I have owned. The lumber on each one has been very unique and beautiful yet very different from each gun.

Here is my first one, a 1950(?) high power, bought when I was 16. Never did get any game with it. Serial 1881xx.

Skip ahead quite a ways and I bought this Crown from my great Uncle for WAY too much.:mad: This was just before I got on this interweb thing and learned Huskys were not near as rare as I first thought. I was so cheesed off about the deal that I sold the gun. Crazy yeah, but if I don't enjoy a rifle I won't keep it. I made a fellow in BC very happy with this rifle. And no I did not pass forward the extorsion price. I made a friend instead which is worth alot more.;) And no it was not me who put that sight in backwards! This is how it was when I bought it. He had bought it new in 1959 at the ripe old age of 15.

Got one Antelope with this rifle at over 400yds. She was a shooter!
Ser 247xxx.

Thirdly you may or may not have seen this pic else where. I bought this 146 from Trade Ex. Anthony and Tony are both high class. The original idea was to rechamber this from 9,3x57 into a x62 or a 64 Brenneke.
The Brenneke idea got shut down as it was too high a pressure chambering for the fast tapering barrel. After crunching the numbers for getting it D&T'd, the bolt changed to clear a scope andthe rechambering I opted instead to locate a Brno 21H and build off of it instead.
As you can see this rifle did just fine in the mountains chasing moose just as it was.:cool: If I recall, ser was in the 14xxx somewhere. Did not have this one three months and a friend in Ontario insisted he buy it from me.

I had a Brno ZG47 for a year right after selling this one but I wanted a more classic feel for the 9,3 chambering. So there it went. Now another 9,3x57 is on its way much to my delight. I love the smaller chambering and it will suffice for anything I stumble into.:cool:

The 1100 I just bought is a thing of pure beauty but my current pics aren't what I like. Once I get new ones I will post them. Don't worry, the ones I have now should be staying put much longer than the first ones!

#17 ·
Here's a couple of my Husqvarnas:

Left to right:

M46 9.3x57, M46 9.3x57, M146 9.3x57, M648 improved 96 action in 8x57, M640 in 8x57, M640 in 8x57, and for good measure a Vapen Falun 8x57 on a 96 action.

I hope my model numbers are right. I just ordered a 640 in .30-06 and will post pics late next week when it arrives.

I have two more M46's in 9.3x57. they both need stocks. One is nearly completed and will sport a stutzen style stock. The other will get a newly duplicated M46 stock when funds allow.

#19 · (Edited)
Early vs Late 1640

We've been many times talkin' about the differences between the early style (steel floorplate) and late style (alloy floorplate) 1640, but, in fact there are more differences wich are easy to spot, too.

First, here's the difference between the bolt shrouds, the early being at your left and late at right;

Then, we have the bolt's ejector slot area, early type (top, thin slot) and late (bottom, large slot) gas ports

The bolt release latch, late style, it is a smaller part than the early style (second below).

And the alloy vs steel floorplates / triggerguards

#21 ·
6.5X55 husqvarna vapenfabriks aktiebolag 1943

I have had this rifle for a couple of years and I'm going to start to reload shells for it and i was wondering if someone could give me some good info in the rifle like what the rifling twist is, if some reloads rounds i could use some pointes as well ( Is it ok to run the max load in it)

#22 ·
here are 3 Swedish made 96 based sporters I have purchased from Tradex. All were rated by them VG+.

6.5 X 55 Husky with manlicher stock, 3 leaf sights. I though this was a custom one off stock but Tradex has since sold two more like this.

96 Husky 9.3 x 57

96 Stiga made .270

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys

I'd like to thank you guys for providing me with more history behind my HVA .270 win.. Mine was passed on to me by my father who one it at a skeet shoot back in the late 60's. We really new nothing about them and was considering about selling it, since I live in a area were rifle hunting is not allowed. The screws in the stock were placed because of a hair line crack caused from shooting some heavy loads. I've dropped a lot of bull elk and white tail with that rifle.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.