Gunboards Forums banner

Revolutionary Breakthrough in Bi-pod Design.

6K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  USMCsean 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to take the opportunity to post on a development in the world of bi-pods. My uncle and two other fellow former Special Forces guys came up with the idea of creating a vibration dampening bi-pod while deployed overseas in Iraq. After they came up with their idea, they made a proto-type and took it the the Vegas Shot Show. Several companies offered them $50,ooo+ on the spot for their design. Right then, they knew they had something awesome. Over three years, investing, and extensive personal experience and testing, they came up with the Anti-Vibration Sniper’s Bi-Pod (AVSB™).

This bi-pod is revolutionary tool that will be used by many of the Special Forces and elite forces of many countries when full production gets started. This bi-pod has been tested by many independent Special Forces units, as well, as many S.W.A.T. team officers of police departments across the country. The Anti-Vibration Sniper’s Bi-Pod (AVSB™) will also be offered in a hunter specific model in the future.

I really can’t do it justice. I can only direct you to the website that has been created to market this awesome piece of gear. I got to handle both models yesterday at a family Easter dinner, and I can’t believe the quality, engineering, work, and time that has gone into making this piece of equipment a reality.

Right now, my Uncle and his company are in the final stages of getting this piece of equipment approved and accepted into the Army, as a piece in their TOE (table of equipment). The Army has already said, “we are going to buy it and we are going to buy MANY of them.” Somewhere in the neighborhood of 200,ooo of them. This piece of equipment is that good. A member of the Canadian Army has already expressed and told them that he made a blanket order for 10,ooo of them when production gets up and running.

I’ll let you form your own opinions, but I can relate two stories that he told me that is a testament to this piece of gear. While firing a weapon that is capable of sub-MOA accuracy that groups at ~16 inches from 1800 yards, utilizing this bi-pod, that group can be cut down to ~6 inches!!!

Secondly, when firing a full auto M16 at a target at 100 yards, the group recorded a pattern of about 8 inches in diameter. Then, the bi-pod was attached to the M16 and then fired again in fully automatic mode, and the pattern measured less than 4 inches!!!

Right now, the bi-pod is to be aired on Future Weapons on the Discovery Channel, sometime this month. I am awaiting the final date from my Uncle. If you guys want to check out the website here it is for your viewing pleasure: http://www.xcaliberx-vip.com/index.htmlhttp://www.xcaliberaccuracy.com/

I talked with Vic about this and he said it was alright to post it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well gee! Certainly would like to try that out!

One thing that drives me nuts with the Harris bipod is the way it bounces around on the rubber feet on a bench. I have to put a flat sandbag under the legs to cushion it.

#3 ·
That's one of the bipods they tested against. It's like night and day compared to the Harris. Specifically, when they tested the Harris Bi-pod on a helicopter platform, it would bounce around so bad that you almost can't use it to shoot from. With the AVSB, you can stick the directly on the floor of the helo, and the only thing the reticle does is swirl around in a small circle.

My uncle was telling me that they were about 1000 feet above a semi-trailor going down the highway, and they were in a helo. They were aimed in on the coffee cup that was on his dash. They could read the logo and if they wanted to, make a shot that would have counted. With the Harris, they wouldn't even have been able to make a shot at all.

#8 · (Edited)
There is currently a gentleman who is selling this bipod with the a very awesome sniper rifle. He is currently working on a deal with the USMC. I don't know if they are looking at it singularly or not. If you click in the links section of his site, there is a link for the Ashbury Internation Group. This is the group that made the sniper rifle that the USMC is looking at very hard. The USMC is looking to find a rifle that shoots the medium range capabilities (considered 1200-1800 yards). The rifle that they make, meets the demands and impresses them greatly. Which is why they are looking at it. The price range for the total system is in the neighborhood of 15K per rifle.

So when do you start exporting! :)
Christian,
I'll let you know. And if they don't I'll see what I can do to get you one. They might be a little bit pricey, but with the strength of the Euro to the Dollar, it might just cost you a few bucks soon. :eek:

Strange looking, but look forward to trying one.

I have been a Harris fan for years, but I'm quite impressed by the features incorporated in this new design.

Thanks for posting about it Sean.
Ken,
You're not the only one who has said it looked strange. But it could look like whatever it wants to, since it can do all that he says it can. The guys who were using the Harris wanted to throw them in the garbage instantaneously once they shot with it.

The target reaquisition with this bi-pod, I've been told, is just amazing. I haven't shot with it yet, but that is in the works. This is going to give me a reason to "stimulate" the economy when Uncle Cheddar gives me that 600 bonus.

As a side note, the testing is in the final phases of the endurance stage. It has met and exceeded the heat, cold, and saltwater tests.

#9 · (Edited)
Sean-

I'm sure the proof's in the pudding and I can't wait to try one. ;)

I used to shoot prairie dogs as often as I could swing a trip. Where a standard Harris worked fine for 222-223 class cartridges, they started becoming wanting with the 22/250 and 220 Swift because of the recoil and target reaquisition after the shot. My 15# 6mm was nearly impossible to watch the impact, something that made the trip worthwhile! :D

These bipods should sell like gangbusters to the varmint shooters. I just hope that they are affordable. :eek:

#10 ·
He told me that they've tested it on everything. Barrett .50's, M249's, M4's, M24's, etc. He told me there is greater improvement with rifles that shoot larger calibers than lighter. They were using the model with the two dampeners up front when shooting larger caliber'd guns. He said target reaquisition is so good, that you can watch your bullet hit and fire another just as quickly.

#12 ·
There are a series of designed dampeners that are affixed at certain positions on the bi-pod. They have been designed in conjunction with Simms Vibration Laboratory that makes the LimbSaver compound bow.

#13 ·
Any idea how much they retail for? I did not see this information on the website and I am curious to learn whether they are in (or out :() of a price range I can afford.

Tim

#16 ·
Any idea how much they retail for? I did not see this information on the website and I am curious to learn whether they are in (or out :() of a price range I can afford.

Tim
I heard a price this weekend, but I don't know if that is the ultimate cost. I'll wait to post a price. But I will say that it is more than the Harris.

And another question, from someone who's never used an aftermarket bipod - is drilling/tapping required to mount one of those on a mil-surp rifle? Or does it use a clamp-type mount?
From what my uncle says, he can use any rifle that has a slingslot setup. I don't have any reason to doubt him, but there are many types of sling slot setups. When I see the "hunter" model, I will let you guys know.

SEan do you need my address?:)
I have it. I'll let you know when I get my paws on one. I was actually thinking of all the things you have to put that on. I'd like to try it out on a few of them. :D

#15 ·
SEan do you need my address?:)

#18 ·
I haven't been joking when the people who have tested it. SWAT and Special Forces in a few branches, were all like, can we get one NOW! If he's a hardcore varminter, he'll like this when they get the hunter model out.

#19 ·
I just got off the phone with my Uncle and he said that they are looking at about getting them released in 2-4 weeks.

#20 ·
One comment that caught my eye in the review was about weight. I assume this is quite a beefy piece. How much does it weigh?

The Ashbury link goes to a site under construction. Got another one?

#21 ·
Personally, I didn't think that the piece was heavy. Admittedly, the larger of the bi-pods is heavier than the smaller, I think that the weight may give it some advantage and works with the weapon you are firing. I don't have a solid number at the moment, but I could get one and get back to you.

I don't know of another way to get ahold of Ashbury. I will find out about that as well.

#23 ·
Sean

I think a group buy is in order for your buddies at gunboards, hey?

The photos are a little dark but it looks like they mount via mil-std-1913, yes?
I wish I could save a few of the photos:)

Dutchphotocopier
Im sure he wouldn't mind. Also if the Picatinney rail is the same as a mil-std-1913, then yes that's what it is. If they are different, well....

I don't know about a group buy, but I can always ask. :)

#24 ·
Group buy and group test would be in order ...
What better way to launch!
Group (forum members) discounted price (as the stack of orders could be very high here)
Group test & Review: results posted here under reviews
with say, half a dozen "samples" to members who have
a. dedicated "sniper" rifle
b. currently equipped with a bipod
c. large bore center fire (to evaluate recoil effects)
d. range at least 200yds
e. high magnification scope at least 20X and up
Give it a good workout and review the results.

#25 ·
So... where is Unc on this project?
I'm ready to order one.
I'd like to get one on the sniper rifle before the next trip to the range.
Itching to do some fine tuning and the damned wind is blowing 25mph today.

#26 ·
When I talked to him last week, he told me the time to full scale production was 2-4 weeks. I will find out when they start, and I will make an additional posting regarding the availability.

#30 ·
I don't know what's in the works. I'll be giving my uncle a call and see whats happening. One thing that could be happening is that since the US Army wants so many, that civilian production might not happen for a while.

#31 ·
Well, I talked to my uncle to find out what the status of the situation was. He says the Army asked for a change, finishing up the testing down in North Carolina at Ft. Bragg. They are also in negotiations with a couple of prospective companies who will be able to handle making these in such a volume. He said they should have the maker determined in about 3 weeks. Sorry it's taking so long guys. When you make a product it doesn't happen over night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.