Gunboards Forums banner

Romanian 1934 Beretta pistol markings

11K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Mybusa 
#1 ·
I have a chance to buy another Beretta pistol.

It is marked

"Beretta 9 Scurt-m 1934-Brevet.Beretta.9 Scurt-m 1934-Brevet. Gardone V.T-1941 Serial # 32322"

The area on the left below the hammer where there is usually an Italian military marking is void of any markings.

Is this a correct Romanian issue pistol? And are they rare enough to be 400.00 for them? The pistol is in very nice shape but does not have a holster.

Thanks

#2 ·
- @ Mybusa: These pistols were manufactured in Italy for the Romanian Army and the weapons were issued to the Romanian officers during WW2. Romania also ordered from Italy 9mm Beretta 1938A submachine-guns during the same period of time. The word "SCURT" means "short" in Romanian language. During WW2 Romania manufactured ammo [9mm Short /.380 / 9X17] for these Italian pistols and the Romanian made 9mm Short cartridges are headstamped "CMC" [Copsa-Mica Cugir] over "9". After 1945 these Italian pistols were not used anymore by the Romanian Army and the ammo for them was not manufactured anymore. I hope this helps you, Lido 05/18/08

#3 ·
Lido

Yes that helped a lot! Is there an idea of how many were made for the Romanians?

#4 ·
Italy had contracts for 40,000 pistols for Romania, I don't think they were all delivered. You say there are no markings, there is no (CM) or Italian PSF 1941 on either grip tang?
$400 is a little high in my opinion, unless it is a non-import in 99% condition and matching serials.
David

#5 ·
Here are the only photos I have of the pistol and they are not the best.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. One last thing what is the difference between war time and post war magazine?

#8 ·
that one looks to be really nice, if it has'nt been re-blued. i bought 1 several years ago from SOG or Century, can't remember which, think i paid around 190 bucks with an extra 15 for a spare mag. mine is marked 9scurt....1941. yours is better condition by far. don't know what to tell you about the value. if it's non import marked, i'd say it could be worth 400. mine is dot marked on top of barrel.

#9 ·
I wish I would have bought mine back then!!

#10 ·
mybusa, from waht i can tell from your photo, mine is marked identical to yours on the slide. my serial# is 072XX. also, mine has a Cl in a bowl or open circle on the top of triggetguard on the right side, and the same mark below the lanyard ring, also a Cl on right side of the mag release... mine seems to be a little more black than blue, yours is bright blue. i see no marks on the mag. even the mags look more black than blue, and almost new. the bright blue in the photo of the one you show scares me a little, but i am by no means an expert on these pistols. i would ask if it's been re blued.

#12 ·
Thanks I'll ask. I have seen the prices and they are nuts sometimes. I just got a near new 1944 dated with the 4 over UT for 300 shipped! I posted it here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=43340

I also have a really nice 1941 RE marked Beretta that I bought 4 months ago for 220. So I think I have been spoiled.

#14 ·
Thanks David

I have a friend with about 6 mags and now I will be able to tell the difference.

#16 ·
I know it's been awhile for this post but I broke down and bought the pistol for the asking price. It hurt to pay that but I'm very happy with it. It is not import marked and looks as if it was never fired. The blueing is a very high polish. Here are the photos of it and all the markings I could find.

#17 ·
I have been looking for a Romanian Beretta 1934 for awhile.

My question is on the serial number. In Axis Pistols, page 302 it lists S/N's 1-36000. I have seen a couple that started with the number 0. Did they do this to keep within the 5 digits ?
The book doesn't say anything about it. The slide seemed to be properly marked, so my guess was on the 5 digits, but just not sure.

Checking around on the internet, I found a site that stated if the pistol is stamped AZ within a rectangle it was reproofed by Beretta in 1990. Any truth to this ?

Don

#18 ·
From what I have read the ones with the 0 starting serial numbers are from the first batch/contract then the others like mine followed.

#19 ·
 Mybusa, Looks like a nice pistol. Can't tell for sure, is the hammer "in the white" unblued? The hammer and recoil spring guide shouldn't be blued.

teiko41, The serials did have zeros in front of them to mark them 5 digit.
[AZ] is a 1990 proof date. [AA] is 1975, [AB] 1976,.... [AZ] 1990, [BA] 1991, etc. There is a chart on the NET, but I don't remember where.

Here is a link to a thread on the Romanian Beretta
David

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=5127&highlight=romanian

#20 · (Edited)
David

From looking at my other photos of the pistol the recoil guide and mag release are in the white and the hammer looks lighter then the rest of the blue. I have already oiled it up and put it deep in the safe with the other pistols. Next time when I dig it out I'll check it. What I really like about this one is the high quality of polish on it compared to the other 1934/1935's I have.

#21 ·
WAIT A MINUTE. is that ser#32322..... if it is that's the pistol i had stolen from me in 1943................................:D i was born in '53. that is a sweet looking beretta. you did'nt shoot it before hiding it in the safe? i think you did good.

#22 ·
No I didn't shoot it! More then likely I wont as I have a slightly used 1934 Italian issue Beretta that I'll shoot. This one is safe in the safe!

Thanks for the comment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.