Gunboards Forums banner

8mm Ribeyrolle

20K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RS 
#1 ·
During WW1, France purchased a number of Winchester Model 1907 Self Loading rifles in 351 cal. Towards the end of the war and until 1921, France also experimented with the 8mm Ribeyrolle which used the 351 Winchester as a parent cartridge. The 351 Win SL cartridge was necked down to accept the French 8mm bullet. Did France use the Winchester Model 1907 rifle in 8mm Ribeyrolle or was there a special rifle developed ? there was also a 25 rd magazine too. Results at 400 meters were disappointing and the project was discontinued.

#2 ·
If my memory of the book "Proud Promise" is accurate, I think they had a new firearm to use the 8mm Ribeyrolle cartridge. If I remember correctly is was for one of the first "firing port" type weapons. I hope someone has better information available.

#3 ·
The Ribeyrolle 1918 was a precursor of the more modern assault rifles, it was a machine carbine using an intermediate round with a select fire capability.

The firing port weapons used on french tanks were automatic weapons using the full power 8x50mm round.

#4 ·
The Mle 1918 Ribeyrolle semi auto carbine was a select fire, direct blowback system firing the 8x35 Ribeyrolle cartridge (necked down .351 case with a 8mm AP bullet).

The new weapon was tested by the Army and abandonned in 1921, the maximum effective range of the cartridge (< 400M) was deemed insufficient compared to the 7.5 caliber ammunition being developped for use in semi auto rifle and light LMG.

kelt

#5 ·
Thanks Edmond and Kelt!

Now that's what I like....Thank you so much, Edmond and Kelt. Particularly Edmond. Thanks for the picture of the Ribeyrolles Automatic Carbine, which was not featured in the wonderful book, Proud Promise. What a weapon the Ribeyrolles Automatic Carbine would have been!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.