Gunboards Forums banner

Broom handle Mauser with stock question.

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Caribou 
#1 ·
The question I have is this; a broomhandle Mauser pistol with a stock attached is 'legal" or not?

As I understand, an original pistol and holster are legal, as would be an original HiPower and stock, but whats the legallitys of a repo stock and pistol?

I hope the Mauser forum is the right one for this question.

Thanx.

#3 ·
My understanding is that an original pistol with a repro stock is illegal unless registered as an SBR. Some folks are finding old stock hardware and putting it on the new-made wood stocks thinking to get around the registration, but I'm pretty sure someone in the ATF said that's a no-no, as well. The only clear-cut answer (that I'm aware of) is original stock and original pistol. Like DocAV said...check with the experts. I'm remembering what I looked up five or six years ago when I had a broomhandle.

#4 · (Edited)
Hello Gents

My understanding is that an original Broomhandle with an original stock is legal without any special requirements. The same supposedly applies to original Artillery Lugers with stocks? The same supposedly applies to the original Browning Hi-Powers with the tangent rear sight? However, I was told that an original P-08 Lugar with a standard length barrel is NOT legal even with an original stock??? This of course doesn't make much sense, but then the BATF is involved, so who knows?

If anyone obtains a comprehensive explanation, it would be greatly appreciated if you post it here and on the WWI Forum. I have a standard issue 1917 dated Erfurt Lugar that has the mounting bar that slides into the slot on the stock......If the Germans produced different ORIGINAL patterns of the P-08 Lugar that were equipped to mount a stock, why in the world would this be treated any different?

Warmest regards, JPS PS - *** **** Microsoft patches!

#5 ·
Dear JPS,
I have several 1917 P-08s (4 inch brl) which are Notched at the front of the Artillery rear sight, and Slotted for the stock. These were late war production, using Artillery frames intead of normal P-08 frames. Common also in 1918 marked Erfurts.

So they are "originals'''PS, all mine are WW I Aussie battlefield bringbacks, often with Issue Matching Holsters ( same MG unit, mostly)./
Not sure how this affects ATF and NFA thinking.... ( does not affect us Down Under, different game. A Pistol is still a Pistol, even with a removable shoulder stock....only if it is a Schnellfeuer , then it is an MG...different special Licence.)

Regards,
Doc AV
AVB Film Ordnance Services...
and NO, I don't butcher P-08s to make Blank firers...we put new barrels etc into original frames and slides so as not to ruin a Good Historical Piece...

#8 ·
A Mauser C96 reproduction stock that is identical or very similar to the dimensions/design of the original stock pattern can be mounted on a C96 pistol without registering the pistol as an NFA item.

View attachment 669114
Thank you. As one of the several thousands of collectors (I suppose) who bought a C96 from the Chinese shipment of 25 years ago, and then bought a repro shoulder stock/holster from IMA or the like, it is nice to have a copy of that letter. The Mauser broomhandle is a firearm which, when mounted to the shoulder stock, is even regarded as cool by some of those people who don't like guns very much.

#7 ·
It gets bigger if you click on it 3 times. You can also print it out and expand it on a copier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.