Gunboards Forums banner

7.62x39 rifle

22K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  RuralTurtle 
#1 ·
Are there any companies that make bolt action 7.62x39 rifles? I would think that the amount of ammo around, that a bolt action in this caliber would be available. I also think it would be a good short to mid range deer cartridge for young hunters.

#2 · (Edited)
None that I know of right now but I don't keep up the latest stuff too well. The old Interarms Mark X Mini Mauser was made in that caliber. A neat scaled down M98 bolt rifle that was also available in barreled actions. Imported in the 80's from Yugoslavia as were the regular Mark X mauser actions and rifles. The Balkans War later demolished the factory I believe. More recently Charles Daly imports was listing the same rifle in that caliber (and others) built on the same action imported from Yugoslavia but stop importation late 2006. Do a search for the 'Mark X Mini Mauser' and you'll come up with some info. Try a search on the gun auctions and there'll probably see some for sale. Most were in .223cal if I remember correctly. I saw one in 223cal for sale recently for about $400 in a gunshop if that gives you an idea of a price.

#5 ·
CZ offers the 527 in 7.62x39 in carbine form only....18.5" barrel, iron sights, grooved receiver for scoping, clip fed and about 6 lbs. its a pretty nice little rifle, a true mini mauser.

Interarms (Zastava made firearms) had their own mini mauser in 7.62x39. The same rifles went under the Charles Daly name and now Remington and are still offered in that chambering. However, it is not a true mini mauser. it has a Sako style extractor instead of the non-rotating claw of Mauser 98 fame.

I was looking pretty hard at the CZ, but in the end i decided that the 7.62x39 just left too much to be desired, performance wise. it would be a fun plinker, and would be adequate for deer sized game out to about 100 yards, but for the price, i decided it wasnt worth it.

DW

#7 ·
Picture Norinco 7.62x39 Bolt Action rifle

The top rifle is a Chinese rifle in 7.62x39mm. It is marked JING AN and EM331. Val Forget brought in a few to test the marketplace. He later told me he was rather disappointed on the lack of consumer response. I think interest would have built as it was relatively cheap but the Presidential ban on Norinco imports killed it for sure.

The bottom rifle is a Norinco .22 bolt action model EM332 with two spare magazines held in the buttstock.

#9 ·
I have seen a few CZ 7.62x39 rifles at gunshows over there,they seem pretty nice and about your best bet for a rifle of that type in America.Norinco make a 7.62x39 bolt action called the JW-103,they are very popular and common in this country as they are so cheap (around $300 new) they have a rear locking bolt and a detachable box magazine, they are also made in .223 cal.The russsian company Baikal also make a pretty good single shot rifle in 7.62x39 for about the same $,I have one in .223 and it shoots very well although they are a little heavy for a single shot weapon.

#11 ·
The CZs are nice little guns, with an interesting set trigger and nice iron sights. I would love to get one for a plinker, but they are WAY to expensive for that. I can get a Savage or a Stevens for the same price, AND still have enough money to get a good scope and a bunch of ammo. Why spend that much on a low-powered plinker when I can get so much more for my money?

-Mb

#12 ·
Savage doesn't make a 7.62x39 and by the time you finished paying a gunsmith to do the rebarrel and action work you would have spent more than if you had bought the CZ to begin with.

#14 ·
or...

If all else fails, get a Spanish M1916 that has been converted to 7.62x51. They are usually less than $150. Then buy a chamber sleeve from those folk in Alaska and a magazine feed kit from Numrich. My Spanish M1916 has a mint bore and headspaces OK on 7.62 NATO, but many have advised me not to shoot 7.62 NATO from it as the Mauser 93 action is thought to be near the limit with that ammo. YMMV. Those who have converted them to 7.62x39 say they make good plinkers with no danger of a kaboom.

#17 ·
JMO, but the best short/medium range deer cartridge for the slight or young shooter is the 250 Savage, preferably with the 117 grain load. Ruger used to make the M-77 in it, don't know if it is still cataloged or not. And of course if you can find a Savage 99...

Better than the 243, though others may disagree.

#21 ·
The Remington model 799 is the mini mark X mauser action imported from Serbia and made by Zastava. Apparently Remington imports the barreled action and fits the stocks. They are pretty nice rifles but in the $500 range costwise. For that kind of money I'd go with the CZ527. I've got one in .223 that will soon be a 30-221 (300 whisper) and it is a very nice piece. It has a single set trigger that you push forward to set, the rings came with the rifle and it has a wonderful solid walnut stock. The CZ's are in the mid $500's too but worth every cent. Both the 799 remington and the CZ are available in 7.62X39 and I've fired one of each. They are both very good, light, short and pleasant to shoot.
Frank

#23 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.