Mannlicher 1888 bayonet

Thread: Mannlicher 1888 bayonet

Default Mannlicher 1888 bayonet

I tried already and the ubiquitous 1895 bayonet
    does not fit on the above older rifle (which
    is weird logistically speaking, i would expect the Austrians
    to have some backward compatibility, it would help in time of war)

Anyway can anyone tell me if there are other Steyr bayonets that fit on the above rifle or I have to keep on looking for a 1888 one? Eg in photos the Peruvian seems
    to look very similar.

Nope, the M95 bayonet will not fit the Model 86, 88, 88/90, 86/90 or 90. The Model 88 bayonet has a funny looking screw on top of the muzzle ring that adjusts to fit the barrel. There are probably photos floating around on the posts here, or I'll try to take some. There are a couple other bayonets that would work (ersatz bayonets and Model 90/95), and I'll try to post some pics of those too.
    Looking for a nice, matching Budapest M95M that needs a good home.

Here are the pics.

Pic one:
    Standard Model 88 (German WWI production)
    Model 88 NCO
    Standard Model 90
    Model 90 Ersatz (squared)
    Model 90 Ersatz (rounded)

Pic two:
    Standard Model 90 (OEWG)
    Standard Model 90 (BFM)
    Model 90/95 (note M95 style blade and pommel of M95)

Pic three:
    Three German WWI-made Model 88 bayonets from various makers including Alex Coppel - Solingen; Weyersberg, Kirschbaum & Cie - Solingen; FD Luneschloss - Solingen. I think there are several other makers as well, including a Simson & Co Bulgarian contract, OEWG, FGGY, etc. The top and bottom are 1916 dated on the spine of the blade - the middle one has no date but has the other standard German markings.

Any of these styles should fit your rifle. There is also a NCO version of the Model 90 bayonet shown above.

There is also a Model 90 stutzen/ecg bayonet like bayonet #1 of picture #1. This is much rarer than the standard 88 bayonet. The main difference being that the 88 bayonet has a 16.5mm inner muzzle ringdiameter and the 90 carbine has a 15mm inner diameter. All of those shown have the larger diameter. The true Model 90 carbine bayonet is an ersatz L shaped socket blade bayonet.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Excellent selection, John!

Allow me to add the rarest of all M.88 bayonets, the Bulgarian A&K Gabrovo (on the left of the picture):

Here are Bulgarian NCO bayonets with their characteristic knots:

"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Great bayonets Nick. The hunt continues...

I have a Siamese issue 1888 bayonet if interested (I don't have the rifle to match). The tip has seen better days with pitting and the very end point is gone. The rest of the blade, guard and grip is in very good condition.
    Check out our Youtube channel "Bloke on the Range", guns done the British way.

Quote Originally Posted by FABIAN23 View Post
    I have a Siamese issue 1888 bayonet if interested (I don't have the rifle to match). The tip has seen better days with pitting and the very end point is gone. The rest of the blade, guard and grip is in very good condition.
    How much delivered to UK for you Siamese?

Please, handle all buy-sell negotiations elsewhere - PM, e-mail, Trader, etc.

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Were the ersatz bayonets all twisted like the ones shown, the reason I ask is that I have a stave bayonet that has a straight blade. The only thing it will fit is my M88.
    The bayonet is in great shape, little to no rust and no stamps or serial numbers marked on it.

No, some were flat, but I think most of those were for use on the Werndls. I have not yet found one for sale, but know of several.

Default Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Please, handle all buy-sell negotiations elsewhere - PM, e-mail, Trader, etc.
    Sorry! Over to pm Deadjune!
    Check out our Youtube channel "Bloke on the Range", guns done the British way.

Here are some Austrian ersatz bayonets:

The first one on page 347 is the one I have, the scabbard is different though it has a button like on the turkish rebuilds. Thank you very much. By the way it will not fit the Werndl I have.

Mr.Kulinskij copied the parts of czech book about Habsburg monarchy bayonets.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
    Mr.Kulinskij copied the parts of czech book about Habsburg monarchy bayonets.
    Jan Smid & Petr Moudry, right? Good book, I have it also.
    Last edited by Nick; 04-30-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Yes You are right Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex View Post
    Were the ersatz bayonets all twisted like the ones shown, the reason I ask is that I have a stave bayonet that has a straight blade. The only thing it will fit is my M88.
    The bayonet is in great shape, little to no rust and no stamps or serial numbers marked on it.

Hi Essex,

No, per John's comment below, there were a variety of different forms of ersatz bayonets produced by small shops throughout Austria-Hungary during the war.

They break down into several types, none of which are based on period terminology, but rather according to the current collecting community. The most basic forms are:

1) Twist-bladed

2) Twist-gripped

3) Flat-stave

4) Socket

5) All metal knife style variations

You will find at least one of each in the photos from the following thread.

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=43466

The Austro-Hungarian bayonets are farther down in the thread. Each group photo displays bayonets that were all made for the same rifle. As an example, in the first photo at the top you have from top to bottom............a Model 1888 series flat-stave bayonet, Model 1888 series twist-blade and on the bottom, a standard M1888 NCO bayonet with troddel.

Regarding the flat-stave bayonets, they were produced for the Model 1867 Wanzl variations, the Model 1867 & 73 Werndl's, the Model 1888 series as well as the Model 1895 in addition to several of the foreign rifles issued to Austro-Hungarian troops.

Hope this info helps!

Warmest regards,

JPS
    Last edited by JPS; 05-01-2009 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jan Smid & Petr Moudry, right? Good book, I have it also.

An excellent reference as well, but like most books, NOT all inclusive. But what the heah! Nobody will EVER write the perfect reference work!.......At least not for collectors?

Warmest regards,

JPS

You are right John, but its a good book on examples of Prague Army museum, it was not realised as a full reference as i assume the austrian books are better. best regards,Andy

Thanks to all the experts out there.

I have seen nothing about the 1888 scabbards
    though. I wonder if the 1888 bayonet will
    fit in the 1895 scabbard. Can someone check for me
    please???????

Hello dj,

The Model 1888 Mannlicher bayonet will NOT fit in a Model 95 scabbard. The 88 blade is too wide to fit in the 95 scabbard. I'll try and post a photo showing both bayonets and scabbards, side-by-side, later this weekend.

Regards,

JPS
    Last edited by JPS; 05-02-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Ugh I wish the photos on old posts would show up!