Ross Mark III

Thread: Ross Mark III

Default Ross Mark III

I have just bought this Ross rifle. It has had a life as there are wood repairs to the heel and toe of the butt and also behind the action. The front sight is missing the hood but has a few screws added. The bolt has a different number to the barrel but still has a PLY prefix. It does shoot very well though. I fired 12 rounds at 200 yards and after using 3 rounds to adjust windage and elevation, it shot the next 9 rounds into a 6 inch or so group, which is good for my eyes. Can anyone decipher the butt markings and add anything about its history? A few pics.
    Regards
    Peter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full left.jpg  

Action left.jpg  

Action right.jpg  

Action top.jpg  

Butt markings 2.jpg  

Butt stock repair.jpg  

Front sight left.jpg  

Front sight right.jpg  

Markings left.jpg  

Markings top.jpg  

Yes Navy - Plymouth and built in 1916. Can't make it out but there seems to be a 11(19)43 date stamp and KKB.
    Is it possible to get a sharper photo of the butt marks.

Thanks for the reply. The photo is about as sharp as it gets. The markings are very indistinc in the flesh. I can make out 422 over 1916, KKB, 43 and what looks like TRP over the 29 though not sure.
    Regards
    Peter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Peter, sometimes I invert the image which can - not always - help with stamping's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Butt markings 2 inverted  web.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	3404449
    "What contemtable scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch" W.C.Fields

The screws are OK,hood missing......but they are available as a reproduction............The wood was very prone to splitting,and made many rifles U/S.........if you take the action out,I bet there are more repairs in the action mortice.Also has the E stamping for reamed chamber,done in WW1......Overall, a very nice example of a gun that is getting hard to find nowdays...........the Ross' have come in from the cold.

John.k is correct...a Ross rifle in full trim is a hard thing to find, in any condition. Lovely, accurate, rifles to shoot, as you've found. And nice that this one has the Plymouth Royal Marine Light Infantry "PLY" marking - to add to its history.

Looking at the markings on the buttstock, I think it's possible this rifle either spent some time on the Indian sub-continent, or picked up a replacement stock at some point in its life. The markings in the circle at the right of the stock markings photo appear to be the ISA Indian ownership mark, while the KKD and ISP stamps, and what look like non-English characters above the "29", would also appear to support this. A fair number of Ross Mk IIIs made their way to India, before making their way back.

Yes ,it does seem to have a ISA mark,and there are some typical Indian features,such as the damage around the action/trigger guard area,which is typical of Indian guns.......its been "sanded " to remove the wood damage..........those who saw them surplussed describe sheds full of guns lying in heaps,and moved about in tip trucks..........Ive seen a few lately like this one ,but where are they from?.........this one has been british proofed and refinished .......and there was another very recently on this forum also refinished .......but at the price ruling nowdays,and expert refinish for sale isnt far fetched...............the plot thickens,because India is a signatory of the UN small arms treaties,and has not exported any small arms since early 2000s,and likely never will again.