Gunboards Forums banner

Lost my best Buddy today.....

4K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  Captain Emo 
#1 ·
On May 25, 2011 I drove 2 hrs to Bloomsburg, Pa to get a 3yr old Black Lab from a shelter there. He was brutally beaten as a puppy and had spent his whole 2yr old life in the shelter. No one wanted him until I got him. He turned out to be one of the nicest dogs I have ever owned in 55yrs. I named him Bosco. He quickly became my best Buddy. He let me know he was hungry by stepping on the side of his food bowl and holding it his mouth to let you know it was time to feed him. He loved to go for long walks in the park behind my condo. Sadly, he developed a seizure in Oct 2013. Ultimately, he had 49 seizures. I got them down from 2-3 minutes in duration to between 20-25 seconds. About a month ago he had 3 seizures in 5hrs. The last one took out his back legs. He kept going though walking wobbly until today. He rear legs started to fail him badly. I would have to help him walk by putting his leash underneath his back legs to get him back in the house. I kept him going so he could be with me on my Birthday yesterday. Today, I realized the end was near. I drove him into the park one last time, took some last pics of him. Then I took him to the vet to have him put down. At least now he has an end to his seizures. God... I miss him, as he was such a character....

See less See more
#2 ·
God Gave Bosco a Great Master!

I suspect you haven't any responses yet for the very reason it strikes home for so many of us. Bit difficult to speak!
Thank you for the description which is both heart rending and all too familiar. A part of the life cycle and God giving us such companions. Taking them in His time. Perhaps to provide room for a young dog in need! Long life, preserving most of us, to adopt more! Latter seventies, I've lost four great dogs. Would have been many more by now but for travel lifestyle and fussy/fancy HOAs prohibiting. Finally settling down again with my home purposely not in HOA. With young family and wanting my young son to have the experience of a dog, or such excuse as I wanted one too. That and our local SPCA, literally overloaded. We now have three, also our city 'dog max'. (Welcome to California Coastal living!) Them all 'muts', though one essentially a Belgian Malinois... On steroids- figuratively! Hundred lbs, ever in motion!

Interesting that the Feds now particularly recognize dogs as "service" species and with allegedly some benefits for those not even in such strict class. Weird that "Miniature Horses" also in such category! Never seen one in such context. Wondering about finding pile of 's**t in a grocery aisle! Moreover, one on an airplane! My neighbor now 'dog shopping', but his wife desiring only some kind of purebred. Sad, with so many great dogs such as yours was Bingo, all awaiting the opportunity to be a wonderful companion! California either 'just' or soon to prohibit "Puppy mills"; the commercial sale of dogs for profit! Hooray! We do some things right!

God bless! Sounds you've been a great master, providing a great home climate and loving ownership.
Hope you'll dwell in the satisfaction of that matter and making him one very special dog so happy/comfortable!
John

#3 ·
My dog too kicks the bowl when he's hungry. He doesn't pick it up but Huff's and puffs, like a person would clear their throat, to get my attention!

I'm sorry for your loss. Best way to honor his memory is to adopt another one and give it the chance Bosco had!

#6 ·
Sorry to hear about Bosco. We had to put our lab down about 5 years ago. She was the best dog we ever had. We got her when I was 8 years old from summer camp. She got my 2 brothers and I through the unexpected passing of my parents when I was 19 and she got me through engineering school after that until the last semester when we had to put her down. I have not owned another dog since and don't know if I ever will, but she was a part of me just like my brothers and my soon to be wife now.

Bosco sounds like an amazing friend and I am so glad you found him and gave him the home he deserved.

#7 ·
Thanks guys...
This wasn't an easy decision for me as he was full of life but his body was failing him rapidly. The vet noticed he had failed somewhat from his last visit two weeks before. This is the worst part about owning a pet especially a dog or a cat....

I found him on Petfinder.com..... Someday I will go back there. I believe in giving shelter pets a second chance.....
I might be soon relocating. Having a new job in a new location where a dog would be left by himself all day would tough on the dog. I might not have time for another dog at this time......

#13 ·
It is tough to loose a good buddy like Bosco, they are truly family. Been thru that a couple of years ago loosing our beloved dog, unexpected as she was only 6 years old. It hurt.
Being retired to my farm and single (my youngest growing up and leaving) I felt lost without having her around. After about a year passed my boys encourage me to get another
dog for a companion. I got a young pup, who is now over a year old. Very attached to me, good with farm animals, loves people/kids and goes with me everywhere inside or out.
I (we) will never forget the dog we lost, but I also feel blessed with my new companion/family member.

#14 ·
I can't honor more the deceased dogs I ever had by repeating that for every one of them I shed some real tears.
Never did this for any human being that past away during my lifetime. This seems strange to most of the people I confide in but can assure that I always regret the passing away of family and friends.
Once I spoke about my feelings in these matters with an High School friend that became a University Prof in psychology. His answer made some sense (at least to me): Probably you got more personal pleasure out of your deceased dogs as of out anyone/anything else.

Bingo, losing a beloved dog hurts, we all know it and I wish you strength and wisdom in looking for another companion of the amazing dog world.

#16 ·
Sorry for your loss. For the last 40 years or so, I've always had 3 to 4 dogs at a time. They are social animals and enjoy each others company as much as I enjoy being with them. They are not yard dogs, they are family members. When one dies or has to be put down, only thing that makes me feel better is getting a another dog. Go to the shelter and rescue another one. Two would be better!
Allan

#17 ·
hope this doesn't offend , but when you have other animals in the house arent you suppose to let the other pets see the pet that is deceased ,so they know what has happened to the one that is gone ? the reason i ask is we had a cat that passed and its best friend looked for his buddy for months walking around the house crying for him. no closer the vet told us.anyway i feel for your loss.

#19 ·
Eventually, I will get another Lab.... You should consider getting another dog.... Dogs deserve good owners, especially shelter dogs.

#20 ·
Sorry for your loss....
The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth.
It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of all its beautiful colors.
Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows,
hills and valleys with lush green grass.
When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this place.
There is always food and water and warm spring weather.
The old and frail animals are young again.
Those who were sick, hurt or in pain are made whole again.
There is only one thing missing,
they are not with their special person who loved them so much on earth.
So each day they run and play until the day comes
when one suddenly stops playing and looks up!
The nose twitches! The ears are up!
The eyes are staring and this one runs from the group!
You have been seen and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him in your arms and hug him.
He licks and kisses your face again and again -
and you look once more into the eyes of your best friend and trusting pet.
Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together never again to be apart.

#23 ·
So sorry to hear about your loss. There is something about dogs that have had a hard past that makes them better companions. I took in a stray that was so afraid of noises, and every night (for six years) she told me thank you for taking her in...

May God bring you peace and comfort,

grey

#24 ·
On May 25, 2011 I drove 2 hrs to Bloomsburg, Pa to get a 3yr old Black Lab from a shelter there. He was brutally beaten as a puppy and had spent his whole 2yr old life in the shelter. No one wanted him until I got him. He turned out to be one of the nicest dogs I have ever owned in 55yrs. I named him Bosco. He quickly became my best Buddy. He let me know he was hungry by stepping on the side of his food bowl and holding it his mouth to let you know it was time to feed him. He loved to go for long walks in the park behind my condo. Sadly, he developed a seizure in Oct 2013. Ultimately, he had 49 seizures. I got them down from 2-3 minutes in duration to between 20-25 seconds. About a month ago he had 3 seizures in 5hrs. The last one took out his back legs. He kept going though walking wobbly until today. He rear legs started to fail him badly. I would have to help him walk by putting his leash underneath his back legs to get him back in the house. I kept him going so he could be with me on my Birthday yesterday. Today, I realized the end was near. I drove him into the park one last time, took some last pics of him. Then I took him to the vet to have him put down. At least now he has an end to his seizures. God... I miss him, as he was such a character....

View attachment 3481645 View attachment 3481647
Nobody but the owner knows the hurt of losing one of their canine family members. I've been there many times in my life being a "dog person". I hope God gives you solace. I sense both of your lives were made better by the presence of the other. - - - Dan

#25 ·
My heartfelt condolences; I have put down too many wonderful dogs when their hips gave out and they could not get up or had cancers. Our local vet has a heart and considers our dog's comfort in the end stages. My wonderful Golden, Webley, after 8 years was in his favorite place in the back seat of my truck when he got the needle that ended his suffering. Lori, our next wonderful dog from 2005 until 2017, also had hip problems and could no longer stand without my help. If I erred, it was I waited too long to see her go. Our Vet also gave her the needle in the backseat of her beloved truck.

Both dogs were rescued from the local SPCA and always appreciated their home. My current Blue Healer female is Nikki. She loves this farm and rides daily (2X) in her Polaris Ranger all about. Nik is age 2 and I am 74, so I suspect we will finish up together.

Webley

#27 ·
I have a shelf full of wooden boxes that contain all that’s left of some of my best friends. I lost two in the summer of 2018. We brought two new ones into the house nine months ago. Rescues from Amish breeders. They are growing on me. The love my son. One day those boxes will all be in my box and we will all be together again. That’s gonna be one hell of a ball throwing, belly scratching, face licking party.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.