Khmer boy soldier with cut down AK47

Thread: Khmer boy soldier with cut down AK47

Default Khmer boy soldier with cut down AK47

Wow! Almost looks broke down vs cut down.

Really short dwell time on that AK.

I'm wondering if gas pressure can even build up enough to enter the port?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

the AK47 is over gassed design so probably still works like that , Im guessing the barrel got bent and they simply cut off the bent barrel, looks like the magazine is also a short tanker 20 round mag (Hungarian 20rd mag)

I have built a number of AK's of various barrel lengths.
    That dwell time is questionable.
    But in toughv times
    , there are ways to make things work.
    Dilling out the gas port etc.

Wonder what the stock looks like.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

I ended up watching the story. Cambodia under Pol Pot was a tragedy of epic proportions wth excess deaths from executions, starvation, working to death and war amounting to 25% of the 1974 population.

With regard to firearms, and still not quite on topic, there’s an interesting shot of a Type 63 at about the 20:00 mark.

Last edited by Phosphorus32; 10-10-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added screen shots

I mean, even if the dwell is too short to full cycle the bolt... it can still be cycled manually... I guess logistics really were enough of a nightmare that they just couldn't afford to throw anything away.

That said, it's heart wrenching to see kids caught up in war. The ones here look just about old enough to be 5th or 6th graders.
    Owner, sole proprietor, and chief of cantankerousness for Sergei's Armory.

Off topic but I have been to the Killing Fields in Cambodia as well as the S-21 Concentration Camp. A former school.
    Pictures of the prisoners with number plates. Horrible conditions.

The Khmer Rouge plan to exterminate the educated and professionals of the country to accelerate the communist society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuol_S...enocide_Museum

I've been to both too, Tuol Sleng really is a creepy place. The day we were there we actually got to meet one of the few survivors and I got to speak with him briefly and shake his hand.

The same day we went to the killing fields we got to go to the shooting range as well, talk about a 180 degree mood change... heres some of things we got to touch off. All full auto of course

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cambodia Range.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	3511155

when the Khmer Rough were driven out, many of them fled with the refugees and went to Thai refugee camps before making it to the USA

I would suspect there are a lot of former Khmer Rough living here in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Red1917 View Post
    I've been to both too, Tuol Sleng really is a creepy place. The day we were there we actually got to meet one of the few survivors and I got to speak with him briefly and shake his hand.

The same day we went to the killing fields we got to go to the shooting range as well, talk about a 180 degree mood change... heres some of things we got to touch off. All full auto of course

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cambodia Range.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	3511155
    Hey Red1917!

In the photo you posted is a FIRST-Model, Soviet AK-47 rifle!! (It is next to the M-79.) The particular rifle was manufactured between 1947-1950, nice!

Two key features that designate this rifle as a first model series off the assembly line,

1. the receiver (no lighting cut above magazine well)
    2. angled pistol grip, two-piece wood connected by screw.

Nice photo, thank you for sharing.

I see chrome plating in the exhaust side of the RPG. Do these have corrosion issues? Or is it a durability design.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

The RPG bore is chromelined for corrosion resistance.

It is rifled to stabilize the projectile along with the fins on the rocket type round.

Is this the first time someone has documented a fiberglass Jungle Stock on an SKS in the jungle?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Portholio View Post
    Is this the first time someone has documented a fiberglass Jungle Stock on an SKS in the jungle?!?!?!
    In the picture above., the SKS stock looks to be standard wood and only the gas tube cover is a phenolic type material., often referred to as the "french tickler" in the USA.
    A later model change in SKS furniture.

Am I seeing things, or does the M16 on the left have a shortened barrel, mounting an XM-177 Moderator?

Quote Originally Posted by haze99 View Post
    Hey Red1917!

In the photo you posted is a FIRST-Model, Soviet AK-47 rifle!! (It is next to the M-79.) The particular rifle was manufactured between 1947-1950, nice!

Two key features that designate this rifle as a first model series off the assembly line,

1. the receiver (no lighting cut above magazine well)
    2. angled pistol grip, two-piece wood connected by screw.

Nice photo, thank you for sharing.
    Good eye, I never noticed that before. I didn't know enough about AKs at the time to identify it. I looked back at some other photos and videos from that day and thats actually the rifle we shot, it ran flawlessly!

Quote Originally Posted by Portholio View Post
    Am I seeing things, or does the M16 on the left have a shortened barrel, mounting an XM-177 Moderator?
    Nope you are correct, I noticed it when we arrived and were looking over the guns. We didn't shoot that one unfortunately but shot the other A1. It also ran flawlessly.

I wish I had taken a bunch more detailed pictures of the guns when I was there but we were having so much fun shooting and hanging out with all the range guys I didn't think too much about it. I hope I get the chance to go back one day

Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
    In the picture above., the SKS stock looks to be standard wood and only the gas tube cover is a phenolic type material., often referred to as the "french tickler" in the USA.
    A later model change in SKS furniture.
    Where do you see an SKS?
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Had SKS on the brain type 63.

In Cambodia they have allsorts Asian and western firearms. And franken mises if parts both old and new.
    I saw several odd setup firearms there and in Vietnam.
    Visited both VN and Cambodia in 2010.
    And courtesy of the US Army in 1970.