You know you've been on Gunboards a long time if you remember.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You know you've been on Gunboards a long time if you remember....

The first search I ever did on the internet in 97 has "mosin nagant" and was surprised to get results, it was Tucos mosin man,I've been here ever sense
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simo-kroh.jpg  

Last edited by butchg; 11-22-2019 at 03:56 PM.
    Only Finland-surperb,nay,sublime-in thejaws of peril-Finland shows what free men can do.W.Churchill Jan 20 1940

I can't remember when I started reading online gun collectors' forums, but I know we weren't far into the Nineties. I know I was strictly into Enfields at first. And the prevailing online attitude at the time was "Hell, there was millions of them things made! I use to see'em in bar'ls in the hardware stores, stacked up like cordwood! They'll always be cheap junk!"

It was probably in 1995 that I bought my first milsurp rifle, a beautiful 5-groove Enfield #4, directly from Springfield Sporters, for $90. Still own it and shoot it, to this day.

A few years later, I branched out into Mosins. And I heard the same chant of "Millions made; always be cheap junk." So, having learned my lesson with Enfields, I bought my Mosins at what are today considered rock-bottom bargain prices.

Unfortunately, I was way too late to get in on the ground floor with Mausers, but I did pick up an outstandingly nice Russian-capture K98k recently, for $500.

I owe a great deal of my enjoyment of the historical-gun collecting hobby to Gunboards. It's been a never-ending source of information for me. So to all those who made/make it possible, I say a loud "Thank you!"

I forget how long ago this one was, but it was a pic from a fun thread about Tuco's Derby Girls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuco's Derby Girls.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	3536541

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Read from school..non member..
    slow internet..fragmented efforts...kicked off over over..
    don't remember when I tried to become active member?
    a up date erased my post counts..
    I was blocked out 3 or more months?
    killed me to get back..
    was interesting when first here with the older owners ...
    never here during nudes?
    I wasn’t in mine field then.
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

Thumbs up

Somewhere I have old discussion forums saved from way back when. Before everybody became an expert.

When I saw this it reminded me of some of the old timers and remember Kirby The OG and some others that had links to additional stuff on Geocities.

I'll try to find them.

AZB
    ~ Premium Beagle In Beagleland ~

Quote Originally Posted by butchg View Post
    The first search I ever did on the internet in 97 has "mosin nagant" and was surprised to get results, it was Tucos mosin man,I've been here ever sense
    Days we can not repeat. A great guy and dealer and a hero beyond comprehension. We can not go back to that, as much as we want.

Only because you quoted me I ask, I don't understand you seem hostile
    Only Finland-surperb,nay,sublime-in thejaws of peril-Finland shows what free men can do.W.Churchill Jan 20 1940

I’ve been around since 96 or 97. I can’t quit this place!
    Sobald der Pfennig im Kasten klingt, die Seele aus dem Fegfeuer springt!

Quote Originally Posted by butchg View Post
    Only because you quoted me I ask, I don't understand you seem hostile

Not my intent at all, in fact your post brought back memories of some great websites I havent thought of in a long time. So thank you for that
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm _ George Orwell

"You see in this world theres two kinds of people my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig... You Dig" Blondie from TGBU

Joined in 1997, I believe, along with a number of other gun boards.
    I had just just got my 1st computer.
    Some good stuff and information passed around.
    I soon learned there was a lot I did not already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Joined in 1997, I believe, along with a number of other gun boards.
    I had just just got my 1st computer.
    Some good stuff and information passed around.
    I soon learned there was a lot I did not already know.
    Me too Mike... The owner of our company bought us all E Machine computers @ Costco. We hooked it up to "dial up" then while eating dinner we waited for Tuco to bring us a picture of an SVT40 to study! When I first heard about an 03 C&R license, total intrigue set in... :^)

Who remembers the $600 PU buy Tuco out together for the board members? I still have mine.

Words Conquer!

I'm thinking it was less than that but I still have mine

Damn, I've been on here longer than I realized...

First and foremost, RIP to John Wall, WaPruf2 (Craig Brown) and Shyquestor, among others. There's no way to replace their experience, generosity with their knowledge and overall class. I miss that the most.

Good times in the 'old days' that I feel privileged to have been a part of. Let's pass it on, ok?

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

Don’t remember how long..?
    only site I’ve ever really belonged...too!

I miss ij70 ...
    Mike

Mike O is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by manygunsmike View Post
    I miss ij70 ...
    I miss Paul from Hobe Sound!
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Rick Reich are you still out there? Hope you're at the Phoenix SAR show this weekend! I'm not and wish I was... Don't forget the West Coast Militaria Show in May Pomona, California, LA County Fair Grounds my friends. Keep spirit alive...

I hate to admit that I have been around that long, but I remember usenet rec.guns and Kylie Ellis back in the mid 1980s and I met John Wall on the Mauser company web site in 1992 which was a German cardboard packaging company that coincidentally had the same name, but was taken over by rifle collectors. Then there was the famous Mosin Man site and the rest is history.

wink2

Remembering the tin cans and string..lines in wva...
    yes that far back <>< Dan

Mike O is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

Tuba Hubi and tin foil hats
    "You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Quote Originally Posted by John Crusher View Post
    I've been here darn near forever and still have a low post count, I remember when the guys took the trip to Finland and I just couldn't get away from work. I bought crates of MNs and recycled the boxes into coffee tables. $38-$46 per rifle and Fedex shipping.The boxes are all gone now , but still have a few beauties in the safe !
    I remember running into the guys on their Finland trip while shopping in St. Petersburg. That was in 2003. I joined sometime before that. Don't remember just exactly when I joined. Dean Parsons saw me shortly after buying my first 2 Mosins at Market Hall in Dallas. He told me about this board. I let my C&R lapse in 2011 when I was going through divorce. Too many life things have got in the way of doing much now. (there is a long list of things that happened.) I still have most of the guns I had before. The ex got some of them in divorce settlement. I have bought a few back from her. The rest are in a closet at my house. Don't post much anymore.

I remember it was not that long ago when a day like today, December 7th, brought out comments about just what the world we live in is really like. Horrible day, I hope many here took a moment to remember those who were lost, and the millions who went on to make this nation what it is.
    Plato:
    “Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool”

For me it was Michael Jon Littman from Homestead, who introduced me to the forum. Later I met him in person in Kissimee. Good days.
    KH

Quote Originally Posted by kh View Post
    For me it was Michael Jon Littman from Homestead, who introduced me to the forum. Later I met him in person in Kissimee. Good days.
    That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Michael was a teacher in Florida if I’m not mistaken. He was a nice guy.

Anyone know why he disappeared? I hope he is well.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Michael was a teacher in Florida if I’m not mistaken. He was a nice guy.

Anyone know why he disappeared? I hope he is well.
    My recollection was that he was a teacher. He has not posted since 08-27-2012.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap_shot View Post
    I hate to admit that I have been around that long, but I remember usenet rec.guns and Kylie Ellis back in the mid 1980s and I met John Wall on the Mauser company web site in 1992 which was a German cardboard packaging company that coincidentally had the same name, but was taken over by rifle collectors. Then there was the famous Mosin Man site and the rest is history.
    Back in the 90’s I was researching an old “Mauser” rifle I purchased at a Woolworth department store as a youngster. That’s when I met Mr. Cheap Shot on the aforementioned German site. He informed me of the TUCO collectors site. From there I was taken by the cruffler bug. Turned out my old rifle was a GEW 88 and not a Mauser but I could by Mausers, Mosins and so many others for cheap. I’ve posted little over the years, mostly read and learn. Seen much change over the years. Collected and hoarded a lot of rifles and ammo. Anyone still have their Century Mosin commemorative bronze coin with stag case given away free? I stumbled into milsurp collecting during the last great era of collecting. Alas age is catching up and soon it will be time to aggressively liquidate most of what I have accumulated. It’s discussion threads like this that causes one to reflect on the passing of time. But change is constant and inevitable. Jim

We old members are blessed and so is the forum. I came along about the time I got my Widows 98. I wanted a PEM. I posted, inappropriately, after I googled PEM. My bad but my request for looking for a PEM, I arrive here.

Folks like Vic put up with my crap. We are blessed. We can not get a PEM, restored or whatever. We could get squat before.

Retorations or Finns, your flavor. In my time, get one or do without. The purist, ain't happening IMO.

I have long wanted a documented PEM side mount. I do not see one, the reason I was originally here.

I love the forum.

brief summery. Just facts.

Where guys are too stupid for their own good.

I first found Gunboards in about 2000 or so. I lurked and read. It was around 03 before I got a computer that I could actually post on line with and this is the first forum that I joined. Lots of folks have come and gone. The forum and the collecting world is not what it once was...sadly.
    In memory of my son Sean James, born 6/25/97. Died 9/16/13.

We will be reunited in heaven.

Wasn’t M L doing research or a book...nice guy guess he got into other things..
    maybe health was issues just can’t remember?
    we had poor internet in those days reading is about all I could do..
    10 tries to post 1 maybe on..getting kicked off the normal..
    can a string of Hope...finally got locked out 6 or more months..i one day got back in..

Been on Tuco's boards since the Internet ran on coal oil. Lots of memories, on my 6th renewal C&R license. This website and its ancestors was the guiding light. Naming names, who recalls Ellison's in Campbell, New York?
    Thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    Been on Tuco's boards since the Internet ran on coal oil. Lots of memories, on my 6th renewal C&R license. This website and its ancestors was the guiding light. Naming names, who recalls Ellison's in Campbell, New York?
    Thanks for the memories.
    Here’s my post from 2009 when someone asked for information concerning Ellison’s:

Unfortunately Curt passed away about 10 years ago. He was quite a character, and I mean that in the best way. He had old-time connections at Century Arms and he made frequent trips to St. Albans to handpick through the inventory. In the early '90s when I got to know him, he was always one of the first dealers to get examples of whatever was new to the surplus market. Condition, being hand-selected, was always first rate and his prices were very fair. He was one of the good guys and I miss seeing him at the shows.

For a year or two after Curt's death, there was talk of his wife Sonya and his son, Curt, Jr., continuing the business. To the best of my knowledge, the family tried to continue but I think the business, without Curt Sr., did not survive.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Thanks for the memories.

I remember Ellison's.

I also remember Dennis Kroh posting about the 90s being the "good old days" of surplus collecting, with everything that was pouring in the US at that time. He wasn't wrong.

Thanks for the memories.
    Called him a couple of time getting info on a pristine Hakim I never got. I did buy a couple rifles from North China Arms.
    befus

I joined when it was just Tuco's forum, with the indented text and no sub-divided forums. I remember when MJL went by the name Lakeitel before changing it. Those were the days I had 60 mosins, including some really rare ones. Now I have but four. Times they do pass. There were barely more years from the end of the Vietnam war to my joining Tuco's to today. To think the time that passed!
    Dark Forces on the march...
    Angel's Glow is out! The Peacock Papers begin
    https://www.amazon.com/Angels-Glow-P...s=davis+riddle
    The Battle of Shiloh and a demonic disease spreads!

The Visitor, another story from the Peacock Papers!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011YLLQCE

I'd love to hear some of the stories with Finn Bear to Finland. I had an open invitation but always had to work building a retirement plan. :^(

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Remember these shirts??

Sorry that it is upside down. Don;t know how t change it.

Got it sir.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20200104-164228_Gallery.jpg  

Last edited by Miller Tyme; 01-04-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

wink2

You really been here a long time when the new guns you bought are now antiques!
    i came here at the request of Steve B. Swedish commercials forum..
    I was actively running into him after similar Guns !
    husky news a monthly release,
    we shared much technical and model info as we, i collected..Steve’s gone now..put up a strong fight..<>< Dan

I just saw RiflesRoy (now going by 'Angelo' here) this morning. He's still involved and active, and we had a good conversation about the movement in the market among the larger parts suppliers and some of the importers who've gone out of business.

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

I remember Tucos and Cruffler.com and a couple others. I think I got here in about 98 or 99. I remember telling my sister that she was wacked back in about 96 or 97 with her whole internet thing.....then I discovered Mark Kubes site and all the others. Been hooked ever since. This has been a very good board(s) over the years with lots of good folks, good info and something for everyone despite all the resets on the board counters and funky dates of joining. Never really cared about post counts anyway.

Frank
    Ich hab den Reset-Knopf gedrückt
    Doch nichts ist passiert

I remember when the "pre-Gunboards" forum existed- just going through the Mauser manufacturing employees information board. (early computer stuff)...Lots of discussion not related to making current Mausers...Early days...Brent Snodgrass (Tuco) and all those guys were there...but this Forum got launched from it...

Yep, I was there in the earliest era, waaaay before the current self-righteous anointed themselves. Been kicked off the Forum multiple times for disagreeing with these principle admins. I've re-iterated myself many times, and will continue to do so if this post gets me kicked off..Semper Fi..

I haven't been collecting nearly as long as some of you old farts on here but I guess I am lucky to have been here when Mosins were still cheap!! I have made a lot of friends here, including one of my best buds in all of the world... Mr. Russ aka Tile Dude. I had just joined GB and I was posting about my results from a range trip and Russ posted that he was the guy I had met at our local range... that's when I realized this collecting world is SMALL!!!

I've also met quite a few guys on here in person and all were good people. In fact I just saw Rifles Roy on Sunday and got to have a fun conversation on collecting and he mentioned this thread, so here I am. Good to see your name here Poot!!

FB

Az..dweller exposed..
    he reiterated himself out once again?

Think I joined in 2004 or so? I bought two Finnish rifles back then, M28 and a Tikka M91-30. Had no clue what they were and found Vic's and Tuco's info site, then joined here.

Got a real bug for Finnish rifles and posted a lot of photos here with my commentary, haha. Quit collectin' about 2009 or so, I thought. Drifted down to the basement and have been there since. I'm lookin' to sell now, done collectin'. Still like to look and read.

Lancebear

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast