You know you've been on Gunboards a long time if you remember.... - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: You know you've been on Gunboards a long time if you remember....

Quote Originally Posted by kh View Post
    I agree completely. I have about 6000 (paper) books, though I have to admit that I also have an ebook reader, a "Tolino". The reason is that vacation book transport is much easier, especially with restricted luggage weight on an airplane .
    I agree that an ebook is a life saver when traveling. I don't airport security would appreciate you walking in like this guy...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heavy books2.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	3658241

I just disagree with people who throw hard copy books away saying they are old fashioned, too bulky, etc. thinking they can get it on an Kindle.

Yeah I read a lot of books but not so much these days because as I got older just life became more time consuming and complicated. At 76 in this past April there are health problems to complicate things too. Forums like books require time to read and there just seems to be less and less of it available. Losing friends right and left too makes for an almost out of contact lifestyle these days. People I spent hours on the phone with and enjoyed visits with become fewer and far between as I get older and more monk like in my existence. I don't look to see it get much better either as health risks like this flu keep me locked down and home bound. I can only hibernate for so many hours out in the shop and with age have even lost my fervor for that too.

I remember most of the things people write about here but then realize there are not a lot of my remaining friends that even know what they are talking about or most importantly care about. We are indeed a passing breed may have been a member of the greatest generation but nobody really seems to care? The younger generation these days seems to be prone to being interested in things only attached to a computer in some way. While I may want to visit with my friend John in the next town they are sitting talking on the computer to Yuri in god knows where who they have never even met face to face but pour their hearts out to nightly on there keyboard.

Things like these are why we all seem to have troubles with personal relationships as we would rather punch a key board? Yeah Gun Boards is dieing like many other things in our life and the new generation is telling us to get used to and learn to deal with the new Normal. Screw you Young'uns that feel that way. I want and demand my old fashioned Gun Shows, Old time music, Old time guns forums and stuff like that and I'm gonna hopefully be here for a few more years to enjoy it with the rest of you that are hanging in here with me. Many of the other gun forums are so well policed they have taken away the knowledge of a free speaking society that we are supposed to be. Most of them are dead or getting close to be useless waste of band space. If they aren't then they have no knowledge base and the leaders of them are the only ones active and many times the knowledge is bogus and wrong. Thank God we have leaders here who tolerate quite an open conversation and exchange of information and opinions. It has taught me to realize I learn more from people I don't always agree with and be more open minded when reading other peoples opinions.

I have been here long enough to realize we have lost a bunch of people but we have gained a bunch of new ones along the way too! So I think we will just keep on keeping on for a good many more years. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Three words, which I'm thinking about more myself as those same autumn leaves begin to fall: Books On Tape.

And all the modern permutations of the same. Maybe easier said than done, and maybe doesn't solve the problem anyway - I'll start finding out myself not too long from now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I just looked over the "gunboards-friends" list and now I finally know I am old and really a long time member of gunboards, as most of my listed friends posted the last time several years ago, like Tuco, Michael Littman, Lemmy, Gosha and more.

Damn Karl-Heinz? ...... I'm just glad you didn't say ALL of your listed Friends!

;>)

For the rest of you reprobates out there, many of us "Old Timers" have become lifelong Friends through GB. Karl-Heinz is as fine a Friend as anyone could ever ask for.

Valentina and I were honored to host Karl-Heinz and Zena's wedding in our home two years ago. Our hair wasn't quite this gray when we first met face-to-face in Germany back in the 1990s!

Now how cool is that!

Name:	Karl-Heinz - Zena - Valush - JPS - Grand Canyon 4-9-18.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	482.9 KB 
ID:	3659297

Love you my Friend

Well I bet there aren't too many folks that have been a member longer then my 12-31-1969 join date...And I still check the forum about every other day..It has been a great informational and learning site...Ray

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest2 View Post
    I only joined this month, but if the criteria is "you know you've been a gun nut for a long time" I might offer: "...when the first gun you ever purchased was a new Colt SP 1 in 1978 for $300."

Too bad that was the last rifle I ever bought - yeah right!

Guns and books - yeah, that's thing. My shelves are filled with references and a few collections - the complete History of US Naval Operations in WW2 by Samuel Elliott Morison - but not mass quantities. (For the last 25 years I've had access to a good library - that changes next year.)

(More military aviation than small arms on my shelves, actually - my first true love after reading 'Wing Leader' and 'God Is My Copilot' in fifth grade.) (Just the opposite on artifacts: No aircraft but ample small arms in the closet. ;-) )

(Treasures: Col. Chinn's 'The Machine Gun,' Jane's Infantry Weapons from 1989 (last of the Warsaw Pact), Musgrave & Nelson's "The World's Submachine Guns" and "The World's Assault Rifles," 'Aircraft in Profile' through volume 14, more.)
    Read that set years ago. Enjoyed them.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Damn Karl-Heinz? ...... I'm just glad you didn't say ALL of your listed Friends!

;>)

For the rest of you reprobates out there, many of us "Old Timers" have become lifelong Friends through GB. Karl-Heinz is as fine a Friend as anyone could ever ask for.

Valentina and I were honored to host Karl-Heinz and Zena's wedding in our home two years ago. Our hair wasn't quite this gray when we first met face-to-face in Germany back in the 1990s!

Now how cool is that!

Name:	Karl-Heinz - Zena - Valush - JPS - Grand Canyon 4-9-18.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	482.9 KB 
ID:	3659297

Love you my Friend
    It is so good to have so good friends!
    KH

"Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region

I was quite early in the game, but I do not remember the year, some year in the 90s.

There were at least 3 US weapons forums, but gunboards of Brent and Vic was and is still the best. I have the honor to have found a lot of friends here, Vic and Brent included, and I am very thankful!

Speaking of.... Hi Karl-Heinz! How are you? I am on here very seldom, but it is still nice to catch up with old friends now and then. I still have a couple of Mosins I acquired from you, and your books. They all get pulled out now and then. But old age, prices and the lack of new items has really slowed things down. The wife keeps telling me I need to sell everything off. Not sure what she has planned!

Best Regards!
    - Mike
    The dogs on Main Street howl
    'Cause they understand.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Speaking of.... Hi Karl-Heinz! How are you? I am on here very seldom, but it is still nice to catch up with old friends now and then. I still have a couple of Mosins I acquired from you, and your books. They all get pulled out now and then. But old age, prices and the lack of new items has really slowed things down. The wife keeps telling me I need to sell everything off. Not sure what she has planned!

Best Regards!
    - Mike
    Good morning, Mike! It is so good to hear from old friends. How are you?
    We both grew older, it seems.
    I am on the forum pretty often, but unlike during the early days not with new exciting weapons finds or deals. Instead I post history quizzes, which keeps me busy.
    Best regards, my friend
    Karl-Heinz
    KH

USMCsean is offline Super Moderator / Silver Bullet member/ Rocket Scientist

Man,

There are so many names here that I've seen in this thread that just take me back. I've only recently just joined back in after being on hiatus. It's good to be back. I think I joined up just after April of 2001 when I just joined the fleet and was stationed in Okinawa at Camp Hansen, of all places, as a shooting instructor. When we weren't teaching classes, we'd be surrounding the lone computer in the office. We had 4 people, one would teach, the rest would shoot the shit and look up stuff. It was also the same time that I saw the first Shot Gun News magazines with my eyes. I couldn't believe what you could find and buy. It blew me away. One rifle I always wanted, and have yet to get, is a nice m/41B. I'd read all the pages and just stare at the prices on Samco's page for an m/41B. I always told myself, "you live in the barracks, save up and get one." Never happened.

It's really good to see some of the names here. If you have fond memories of me, excellent! If you do not, well, I can only hope time has healed the wounds and things can be forgiven.
    Semper Fi,
    Sean

Check out the newest forum on Gunboards! The Brass Exchange. Where reloaders can come and find the brass that they need. https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...Brass-Exchange

Please add your info for the Tikka 91/30 Survey at: https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...=3975#post3975

We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth-freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious-our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Coast Guardsmen, and Marines-to safeguard that gift and
    guarantee no force on this earth can every steal it away. It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America, this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago, will forever remain the "land of the free and home of the brave" so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
    Nov 13, 2010 Lt General John Kelly, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsean View Post
    Man,

There are so many names here that I've seen in this thread that just take me back. I've only recently just joined back in after being on hiatus. It's good to be back. I think I joined up just after April of 2001 when I just joined the fleet and was stationed in Okinawa at Camp Hansen, of all places, as a shooting instructor. When we weren't teaching classes, we'd be surrounding the lone computer in the office. We had 4 people, one would teach, the rest would shoot the shit and look up stuff. It was also the same time that I saw the first Shot Gun News magazines with my eyes. I couldn't believe what you could find and buy. It blew me away. One rifle I always wanted, and have yet to get, is a nice m/41B. I'd read all the pages and just stare at the prices on Samco's page for an m/41B. I always told myself, "you live in the barracks, save up and get one." Never happened.

It's really good to see some of the names here. If you have fond memories of me, excellent! If you do not, well, I can only hope time has healed the wounds and things can be forgiven.
    Sean:

Welcome back! And don’t disappear again. We need to keep Gun Boards alive and well.

And yes, I always considered you one of the good guys here. Well, at least as much of a good guy as an old jarhead can be.

Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Zeebill...I feel you...
    I’m even reading books on monks..feeling more like a hermit myself..
    if it wasn’t for one old girl friend, I’d go un noticed and maybe not put my britches on most weeks!
    lost mom..4# very old friends in 5# weeks..
    now I go in local stores and don’t know anyone?
    may God Bless Us zone And All amen.
    "Christ’s Grace + being constitutionally solvent !"

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Zeebill...I feel you...
    I’m even reading books on monks..feeling more like a hermit myself..
    if it wasn’t for one old girl friend, I’d go un noticed and maybe not put my britches on most weeks!
    lost mom..4# very old friends in 5# weeks..
    now I go in local stores and don’t know anyone?
    may God Bless Us zone And All amen.
    Dan:

Speaking of good guys, like I was, I have always considered you to be a card carrying member of that illustrious group! Your presence makes Gun Boards a better place.

I’m sorry for all the loses you have experienced. I hope you can find peace and happiness in the days ahead.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Sean who???

;>)

I'm by no means, as the nautical term, a "plank holder" on these Forums; "'69 or bust"! I'm well reminded I've been here a while,! Such as I'm Googling some point of gun research/interest, find apparent point-on information and begin reading... Then the strange feeling! Dang!
    One of my own past GB dissertation length Threads! More disgusting, first deja vous clue not even the content, but by my bit weird writing style. Quick survey and "oh yeah, yeah"; I remember that. Worst of all, as there's the answer to my very question! Ain't old age wonderful... To recollection!
    Best!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by USMCsean View Post
    Man,

I remember very well the post in which you became a Moderator. Back when we use to have fun on GunBoards. Denny

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...ight=moderator

My profile says 2007, but that was when I had to change my name from cheapdad to cheapdad1, blamed on some "update" or some such madness....
    I still lurk, rarely post. I've become somewhat involved in the local class III group....on the C&R side, of course!
    I'm old enough to now receive social security, and long for the days of cheap 8mm....especially the 1950's romanian, with the fireball!
    Headed to the range today to practice for our "crew served match" and a PSS shoot, and to do some 1000 yard shooting with a 98/22.
    check IAWCA.ORG

Cheapdad

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I remember very well the post in which you became a Moderator. Back when we use to have fun on GunBoards. Denny

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...ight=moderator
    Tuco/Brent and Flashy Pants/Ted, as well as Vic, I have never understood why they left us and I have never really accepted it. I don’t like change, especially change that occurs for reasons that don’t make sense (to me) or are never fully explained. I feel abandoned by three friends I never met!

I just don’t understand how three guys who were clearly over-the-top fascinated/obsessed with the guns we collect (and who created the best Mosin and C&R websites) can simply turn off the lights and walk away. I just don’t get it.

I wish the Three Amigos of Mosins would return. Or at least explain what happened.

Samuel Adams

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Tuco/Brent and Flashy Pants/Ted, as well as Vic, I have never understood why they left us.
    I was told they didn't like the other moderators.
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I was told they didn't like the other moderators.
    Well, that makes perfect sense. Riddle solved!

Samuel Adams

It is the books, but one has to read them as well. The reading is still a work in progress.

Wes here early on then left for about a dozen years and finally returned. Boards are different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

image.jpg  

image.jpg  

Last edited by Rooinek; 06-19-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est

As we age...
    the importance of, value of time increased over the years...
    intrinsic Values in place, comfortable!
    then a cold wind from the north, newbies, personalizes..
    improving things by organizing Confusion with confidence!
    give them the powerful positioning factor as a monitor!
    breaking normalcies built over the years..straw that’s baked the cake of bitterness...too old to deal with it!
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 06-20-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Tuco/Brent and Flashy Pants/Ted, as well as Vic, I have never understood why they left us and I have never really accepted it. I don’t like change, especially change that occurs for reasons that don’t make sense (to me) or are never fully explained. I feel abandoned by three friends I never met!

I just don’t understand how three guys who were clearly over-the-top fascinated/obsessed with the guns we collect (and who created the best Mosin and C&R websites) can simply turn off the lights and walk away. I just don’t get it.

I wish the Three Amigos of Mosins would return. Or at least explain what happened.
    Vic is still around, Richard. his last post was in May 2020.
    KH

The Good old days !

Great to hear from so many of you again at the reunion. If you're still here please start posting, sharing your wisdom, experiences and pictures. It's never too late to get the fun tachometer revving again. There is a plethora of new people checking out what's going on in the C&R/Militaria collecting world.

I was never an 'expert', but got to know John Wall, and Jack Carnahan, and others like Dennis and JPS a little along the way, which I cherish. As KH and others point out though the time does fly. Nice to see all the names, and associated memories, in this thread. Back in my early days I would post a, maybe even simplistic, question and get 20 replies, including some from fellows who were writing, or had written books on that weapon! It was a truly great place to learn.
    befus

That’s a name I haven’t heard in a long time. Michael was a teacher in Florida if I’m not mistaken. He was a nice guy.

Anyone know why he disappeared? I hope he is well.
    He is still around, not on here very often though, but I'm almost daily in contact with him on FB. He still is teaching in FL
    "Ole viisaasti höperö!" sanoi vääpeli Ryhmy
    Commissar Natalia Vengrovska Fan Club Life Member :-)
    Tired of the Police ? Try calling a Crackhead next time you need help
    ALWAYS looking for anything from Sortavala and Viipuri CG districts
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

I just looked over the "gunboards-friends" list and now I finally know I am old and really a long time member of gunboards, as most of my listed friends posted the last time several years ago, like Tuco, Michael Littman, Lemmy, Gosha and more.
    You find some of them on Facebook …. Being a bit more interactive and "multifunction" than Gunboards. Gunboards still having the best info and cleanest place still - by far
    Looking for Norwegian Mauser K98F1 HÆR 43408 - the first military rifle I was issued

wink2

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Sean who???

;>)
    I think that was the one that was a Coast Guard cook ?

Quote Originally Posted by jepari View Post
    I think that was the one that was a Coast Guard cook ?

(:>O

Quote Originally Posted by jepari View Post
    He is still around, not on here very often though, but I'm almost daily in contact with him on FB. He still is teaching in FL
    Good news!! I once met him in Kissimmee, he came all the way up grom Homestead, it was great!
    KH

Does anybody know what happened with Scurvy and Gosha?
    KH

Just like life ...your involved in all around you....
    older...your, people erase around you a little at a time..
    till you see that few whom you knew, know are still alive around...
    then there’s only one or 5# left on your hand....
    the last counts slowly To no one remembers you?

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Just like life ...your involved in all around you....
    older...your, people erase around you a little at a time..
    till you see that few whom you knew, know are still alive around...
    then there’s only one or 5# left on your hand....
    the last counts slowly To no one remembers you?
    Such is life.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

I agree..that’s why I depend on grace..

Remember these
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0642.JPG  

DSCN0643.JPG  

Only Finland-surperb,nay,sublime-in thejaws of peril-Finland shows what free men can do.W.Churchill Jan 20 1940

Quote Originally Posted by butchg View Post
    Remember these
    I do!

Samuel Adams

Where guys are too stupid for their own good.

Quote Originally Posted by butchg View Post
    Remember these
    I was wearing the second one just yesterday.
    In memory of my son Sean James, born 6/25/97. Died 9/16/13.

We will be reunited in heaven.

You know you are an old collector if you were a member of the old Curios and Relics Mailing List forum. Also know as the C&R homepage from the 1990's. That is where I first found out able how to get an 03 FFL. There was a terrific group of guys on there. Learned a lot from them. I always wondered where they ended up going after it closed down? Probably, they are here on Gun Boards right now. Anyone from the old forum?

Quote Originally Posted by landshark928 View Post
    You know you are an old collector if you were a member of the old Curios and Relics Mailing List forum. Also know as the C&R homepage from the 1990's. That is where I first found out able how to get an 03 FFL. There was a terrific group of guys on there. Learned a lot from them. I always wondered where they ended up going after it closed down? Probably, they are here on Gun Boards right now. Anyone from the old forum?
    I was not among the C&R Internet pioneers who first gathered together c.1996 (so I have been told) but I wasn’t too far behind when I got online in ‘98. It would not be an exaggeration to say that within the first 24 hours I opened accounts at every C&R and militaria website I found along with too many “mailing lists” to recall. It was an intoxicating frenzy of information and I was in heaven!

Sadly many, too many, of the memorable names from the old days have lost interest or passed away.

Samuel Adams

Oh yes, the old C&R list! I also logged on to the original Gunboards right after Tuco and Vic got it going back in 1996 or 7(?), although with a different user name, for a number of years; I stepped away for a while as I thought it was stagnating a bit, but "re-upped" as it revived (imho) with more diverse and learned contributors--esp. more serious collectors, and wonderful foreign experts, a few years later. Gunboards continues to be a wonderful source for collectors, and accumulators such as myself.
    "No Anchovies? You got the wrong man, I spell my name Danger!" (Click)

The C&R Mailing List is where the term "Cruffler" was invented! I forget their handles but I remember the guy with the clock shop, various retired Marines, the guy with every room in his house filled with milsurps (could be all of us) who's new girlfriend kept saying "That's alot of guns!" I remember when Manny first started Auction Arms, Allan started Allan's Armory and all the talk at the beginning of each month was about what was on sale at Century this month. That is when Century had milsurps! 4'fers, 5'fers....a hundred, that is. Cheap cases of Russian ammo. The dangerous Turkish 8mm MG ammo, or was it Bulgarian? And free shipping to boot! Those were great times my friends. We were Jolly Green Cruffler Giants. Walking the Earth...With Guns!!!

Stop in occasionally, haven't done a lot of milsurp (except Tokarevs and some Polish handguns) in a long time. Just got more expensive than I was interested in, and having moved south, there is not as much interest in military firearms.

So lurk and post occasionally. Will try to stop in a bit more and maybe get some pictures up.

Quote Originally Posted by opacitym View Post
    Stop in occasionally, haven't done a lot of milsurp (except Tokarevs and some Polish handguns) in a long time. Just got more expensive than I was interested in, and having moved south, there is not as much interest in military firearms.

So lurk and post occasionally. Will try to stop in a bit more and maybe get some pictures up.

Samuel Adams

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234