Gunboards Forums banner

A Cheap Single-Action - Now Fixed & More Pics!

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Blackbat242 
#1 · (Edited)
Picked up this 'gunsmith-special' at the Fredericksburg show Saturday, for $49.99. Included at no extra charge - an Allen padded nylon gun-pouch. "A $20 Value!" as they'd say on those late-nite TV ads (though it's really only a $10 pouch!).
Maybe the pouch is even worth more than the gun!
It's a six-shot 22LR QFI Western Ranger, missing the cylinder axis pin. Otherwise, everything seems to be working properly. It has an interesting manual hammer-block safety-lever on the left side, behind the cylinder.
I stopped by my local mom & pop Village Hardware today and found some 7/32" hardened rod in their hobby section for $3.50. Just finished & installed the new axis pin. Then test-fired using 6 primer-only rounds without problems.

Happy Motoring, Mark

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks.
These little mechanical rescues are what I do with my spare time. I figured it would be a quick, easy fix if I could find the right diameter bar. Considering this revolver's possible Italian connection, I feel lucky that 7/32" hardened steel rod fit the cylinder axis so precisely, and my small neighborhood hardware store actually had some.

Happy Motoring, Mark

#7 ·
Thanks,
The few reviews of this pistol I found online ranged from OK to somewhat negative. According to what I read, these were only built in Miami FL from 91 to 92, by a company that bought the assets of FIE - formerly makers of inexpensive pocket 25 pistols.
I actually have an FIE 25. It's no Colt, but so far it's been very reliable.
I've only test fired this six-gun in my kitchen, using 'blanks' made by removing the lead and powder from six 22 LR rounds, leaving only the primer. Hope to get it to a range soon.

Happy Motoring, Mark

#8 ·
I did get this to a range several months ago, long before recent events. I would say this revolver's accuracy was decent, though I could stand more practice. It shot perfectly reliably, but the eject-rod is fussy and tedious.

Happy Motoring, Mark

#14 · (Edited)
I haven't watched many Tom Mix westerns. Was the one you mention set in the 'modern-day' West? He died in 1940.
In all the movie and TV westerns I've seen, made since the 1940s, including well before the spaghetti westerns, I'd estimate at least 90% of the handguns are the Colt SAA type.
Noteable exceptions include a pair of Italian dueling pistols and a S&W Russian revolver on episodes of Rifleman, John Banner wielding an Austrian Montenegrin Gasser revolver on an episode of Lone Ranger, a Belgian-style pin-fire revolver on an episode of Wild Wild West, Clint Eastwood using a Mauser Broom-handle in a post 1900 western who's name escapes me, another early 1900s western filmed in the '70s, where a character rides a motorcycle and carries a Colt 1911, a Bulldog style revolver used on a last season episode of Bonanza, numerous Remington double derringers or small rimfire pocket revolvers used as hide-out guns or ladies guns, and numerous percussion colt styles revolvers in some westerns set right after the Civil War.

While not a handgun, and probably not historically accurate, one fascinating firearm I've seen was a suppressor-equipped lever-action rifle on an episode of Gunsmoke!

Happy Motoring, Mark

#15 ·
A suppressor is a BIT early for the period of THE RIFLEMAN (though considering he used a '92 Winchester, perhaps not - but think that was an anachronism, should have been a '73 Chuck was spinning), I think.

The Mix film I'm thinking of was set around the turn of the last century as best I can recall. Clothing and such spoke "1890s/first decade of 1900s" to me.

The Westerns I recall from when I was growing up mostly had SAAs and 1892s to best recollection. US Army Cav fighting Indians with 1892s.... There is a scene in THE GENERAL (Buster Keaton) where the swarm of blue-bellies have Springfields. Except the guys actually shooting and making lots of smoke, who have Trapdoors. Wonder how many of the old guys from the WoNA saw that and said "We sure didn't have any of those" when it ran the first time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.