Gunboards Forums banner

Mini 30/ M1a build

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Baltimoreed 
#1 ·
Thought that I’d show another of my builds. I don’t think I’ve posted this here. This one started out as a Mini30 bought for y2k, look it up younguns, luckily it wasn’t needed. So it languished in the back of my safe until post retirement when I decided to do something with it. I sent it to Accuracy Systems for the flash hider, bbl and trigger work. I fitted the bbl’ed action into a M14 stock, had to use walnut blocks in front and behind the action and shims on the inside but the steel insert lined up with the m14 insert holes perfectly. In fact I retapped the rugers inserts holes to use the bigger 2 hole screws from the m14. The aluminum scope mount with the big knob is a dummy as I’m using the Ruger mounts. In order to hide all the jb I did my first rattlecan camo stock. I found a correct 1970’s Vietnam era Redfield [its not an AR TEL scope though] to go on it. Drilled the hole in the safety ala the M14.

See less See more
#3 ·
You made it look like a real rifle!
Always been curious how much (if any) the "accuracy tuner" improves grouping?? Have a 180 series Mini14 that could use a tune-up.

Great job on the rifle!

#5 ·
Love it! Great job on the 'conversion'!

I have both the M1A and a Mini-30 and shoot them a lot. I clearly remember an initial Ruger ad for the Mini-14 saying that it was not a copy of any existing firearm and totally unique!. The ad-writer was obviously a dummy.

#9 · (Edited)
BBs would be dangerous, you know you can put your eye out with those things. Those are mostly AR500 steel cas [cowboy action shooting] targets that I shoot at with lead bullets. Only time I’ve ever got hurt was at a regional shoot in Md when a black powder shooter bounced one of his low velocity lead revolver bullets off a target and it came back to hit me in my chin. Cut me good and numbed my jaw for a couple weeks. The table at the bottom is 25 yds from the rr tie containment. I usually shoot off my deck.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.