L1a1 pickup

Thread: L1a1 pickup

Default L1a1 pickup

I picked this up recently and had an hour last night before sundown and got a chance to finally shoot it. Ran flawlessly through 3 mags. Stripped it down to clean and got some pics of the parts. Im no expert but looks to be a run of the mill CAI L1a1 made on an imbel receiver. Bolts looks to be british, few of the other smaller parts have british markings but i dont know about some of the other parts. Barrel is chrome lined with a what looks to be the grenade launcher muzzle brake. The muzzle brake has threads on the inside of the brake. I don't know where to look for markings on the barrel to determine country of origin. I see no markings on the trigger housing maybe indian? The bolt carrier is of unknown origin. Looks to be a mixmaster but functions well. All in all its a nice fun range toy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200201_224310.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	3579225

Name:	20200202_214646.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	3579227

Name:	20200202_215339.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	3579229

Name:	20200202_214748.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	3579231

Name:	20200202_214758.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	3579233

Name:	20200202_215657.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	3579235

The breech block or bolt is a British Enfield item, the serial number being UE (insert year date as I can’t see it) Axxxxx.

The barrel and likely lower look to be South African R1.

And I forgot to mention the carrier is also British, that’s the last 7 of the NSN on the top and the B50 being BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) 1950.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thank you Brit plumber...a mixmaster of parts for sure but I'm happy with it. Would the South African parts have been surplused as whole rifle kits or a hodge podge of parts in bulk?

Nice one to have! Enjoy!

Nice rifle. Let us know how she shoots!

Looks like a std Belgium short combo flash hider/muzzle brake ( not grenade launcher type ).

An Israeli grenade launcher brake looks like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FAL.gl.jpeg  

The variations on these must be endless.

Thanks for the info Luigi...when I said I'm no expert I should have said I'm an absolute fn fal neophyte. It looks like it's a CAI mixmaster l1a1 with some British parts, some south african parts and maybe FN parts(muzzle brake). Where would you expect to see markings on the lower and Barrel? I'm just glad the bore and barrel are in such nice shape. The other question i had was concerning the stock. The grip and buttstock are a real smooth plastic and the front handguard is a pebbly finish...would that be a british handguard and who made the smooth plastic grip and buttstock? Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Cubamauser; 02-03-2020 at 09:37 PM.

I am no expert on FAL's but someone will be along and respond to your questions. Normally marking are on both sides of receiver..see pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Century-Arms-Imbel-STG58-FAL-Rifle-in-308-Winchester-Imbel-Gear-Logo-Imbel-Receiver_101159246_7.jpeg  

Century-Arms-Imbel-STG58-FAL-Rifle-in-308-Winchester-Imbel-Gear-Logo-Imbel-Receiver_101159246_7.jpeg  

Muzzle brake is South African, similar to the SA 7.62mm Bren.

Hand guard is British.

Thank you plumber...ive been doing some reading and would the lower have been one of the sanitized R1 rifles from South Africa? Would this have been a Rhodesian kit?

I honestly don’t know, I only learnt the little I know due to researching the South African 7.62mm Bren gun before I bought a few for the collection.

What I learnt from the Brens was that the Rhodesians placed their own RA serial numbers on them and after the war was lost, the ZA numbers came in to use. I’ve seen the RA number intact, the RA ground out and a ZA number applied and what would appear to be ground away areas which may be a ZA and RA number. They’d seen such a long, hard and varied life that anything is possible and I expect that applies to all of their small arms.

How is the receiver marked? L1A1 Sporter? If so, it was made in a "sporter" configuration with a thumbhole stock and pressed on muzzle brake. Someone may have replaced the entire lower and added the flash hider. Does the FH come off? You can tell if it was a sporter as the barrels are slightly shorter as CAI cut the original threaded portions off.

The gear logo Imbels are highly sought after, to me it looks more of a kit gun put together than a CAI made rifle, but it could be someone just upgraded it with military parts. As long as it runs I'd prefer a kit gun over CAI anyday with the only issue there being USA compliance parts for 922r.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

I had a similar one a few years ago. It was a ban era Sporter. It was a mix of Brit and Aussie if I remember correctly. Definitely Brit though. I had replaced all the ban parts. Ended up selling it without getting around to do the muzzle end.

In fact I've had 3 different FALs and have struck out 3 times. And only one was Century! Getting to think FALs are not for me.

The receiver is marked l1a1 sporter. The barrel and lower is an unmarked r1 south african lower with an unmarked chrome lined barrel. The bolt carrier has ra2204 electropenciled on it. I see no electropenciled marks on the bolt itself. The buttstock looks to be a south african buttstock. From the basic research I've done it looks to be at least partly built using Rhodesian parts. Did CAI use Rhodesian parts kits? Is there a way to tell if the lower had once been in a sporter Stock? The rifle runs well so if it's an l1a1 sporter maybe I got one of the good ones?....its not a gear logo imbel receiver but says made by imbel on the side.

Name:	20200205_202344.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	3583015

Name:	20200205_090636.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	3583017

You've got yourself the ultra common but one of a kind mixmaster UN right arm of the free world there. Metric lower/barrel, commonwealth pattern bolt/carrier/handguards and charging handle it appears. If it goes "bang" when it should and the hole is close to where you aimed, the origin of the parts don't much matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubamauser View Post
    ...Is there a way to tell if the lower had once been in a sporter Stock?
    Yes, the stub for the pistol grip was removed for the sporter stocks. This is why lots of people just bought cheap parts kits (at the time) or complete lowers and just swapped them out. https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.c...bhole-sporter/

Cubamauser, yes Century did use a lot of Rhodesian parts kits. I went over and loaded 2 or3 shipments from there.
    SteveK

These used to be known as "FrankenFAL"s, or "Inchtric" as in built from a random assortment of parts, some inch some metric. If it shoots to POA you're probably OK.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. The rifle is surprisingly accurate and a blast to shoot. Steve, what kind of condition were the kits in? Was it just a mish mash of parts etc? I'm interested to hear how many kits you think we're ultimately available. Thanks

Sorry for the late reply but I just got back from Florida where I was fishing and skeet shooting for the last 4 months (limited internet).

The rifles I bought in Zim. were in poor/fair condition. They were well used! Don't remember the numbers but I think 5000/7500 would be a good guess.
    SteveK

Congratulations on your new to you FrankenFAL, or Mutt or whatever you choose to call it.
    As it is a mixture of various parts from various countries and versions you can feel free to make any further changes you might like without having to be concerned about being referred to as "Bubba" for violating something original.
    Shoot the Heck out of it and enjoy !

I've finally been able to get out and do some serious shooting with the rifle. Got the sights adjusted and zeroed at 25yds and then shot at 200yds. The rifle does really well. Now if the front post didn't completely cover the target I might get better groups. I've attached a photo of the 200yd target.

Name:	0621201337.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	3676025

Nice shooting! I love FAL's. Did you get to use those mags I traded you?
    In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.
    ~FDR (1936)