Is a stock of K98 compatible on an M48?

Thread: Is a stock of K98 compatible on an M48?

Default Is a stock of K98 compatible on an M48?

Hi
    I am trying to put a scope with an ATI mounts on an m48 and I would like to know if I can change the stock
    Greetings

No, not interchangeable. Different action lengths and rear sight base.

That's why the Serbs had FN design the action shorter. That way they wouldn't become an instant spare parts store if they were invaded by the Germans.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Ok, thakns, i didn't know that info.

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by GOVTMOD View Post
    That's why the Serbs had FN design the action shorter. That way they wouldn't become an instant spare parts store if they were invaded by the Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro95 View Post
    Ok, thakns, i didn't know that info.
    What GOVTMOD said was supposed to be a joke (I hope). FN used their standard FN1924 design for the Yugo M24. The only change was the M24 had the enclosed cartridge head feature. Yugoslavia bought M24 rifles from FN with an intermediate length receiver (shorter than K98k) because that is what FN was making.

FN switched to the standard length receiver (G98/K98k style) with the FN1930.

And there never was an FN24/30 model. It was either the FN1924 or the FN1930 with different receiver lengths. You will find incorrect information on this in both MMROTW and Mauser Bolt Rifles. I think one copied the other. So, there are still those in 2020 who think that FN24/30 is a model of FN rifle.
    Last edited by geladen; 02-25-2020 at 12:53 AM.
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers (half of my collection) are here (Index is in post #1):
    https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    What GOVTMOD said was supposed to be a joke (I hope). FN used their standard FN1924 design for the Yugo M24. The only change was the M24 had the enclosed cartridge head feature. Yugoslavia bought M24 rifles from FN with an intermediate length receiver (shorter than K98k) because that is what FN was making.

FN switched to the standard length receiver (G98/K98k style) with the FN1930.

And there never was an FN24/30 model. It was either the FN1924 or the FN1930 with different receiver lengths. You will find incorrect information on this in both MMROTW and Mauser Bolt Rifles. I think one copied the other. So, there are still those in 2020 who think that FN24/30 is a model of FN rifle.
    i wasn't joking.

According to Anthony Vanderlinden in FN Mauser Rifles, Arming Belgium and the World the 1924 was designed at the request of The Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes for the purpose stated above. FN built and supplied the initial 100,000 rifles while they provided machinery and assisted in the design and construction of their own Kragujevac Arsenal for the production of the 1924 rifle which was then updated to the M48. If it had not been for the Serbs the 1924 would never have existed.

You are correct about the 24/30 misnomer.

What were the Turks thinking in 1903 when they ordered an intermediate length action?

i wasn't joking.

According to Anthony Vanderlinden in FN Mauser Rifles, Arming Belgium and the World the 1924 was designed at the request of The Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes for the purpose stated above. FN built and supplied the initial 100,000 rifles while they provided machinery and assisted in the design and construction of their own Kragujevac Arsenal for the production of the 1924 rifle which was then updated to the M48. If it had not been for the Serbs the 1924 would never have existed.

I have the book and page 170 does indeed make this statement. However, the German K98k (the model listed on that page as the reason) did not exist in 1924, and didn't exist for another ten years, so some erroneous info on that aspect at least. In any case, it seems a quite unusual criteria for that point in time, since Hitler, and his agenda was also mostly an unknown factor outside of Germany. Perhaps there are more documents to clarify that specification.

They and many other countries felt threatened by Germany before Hitler lol. They did have the Gew98 and other derivatives, not specifically the K98.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Perhaps that was the intent, but in any case, the Germans did make extensive use of the captured M1924 for police and other paramilitary units needing a rifle. The fact it was in the same caliber that the Germans used made it easier to adopt. The Yugoslavs also used plenty of standard length Mauser actions as well with WW1 Gew 98's (made into the M1924b) and the VZ 24. The Germans also put many captured weapons of all various calibers to the same use.
    Last edited by Stan61; 02-25-2020 at 10:43 AM.

i wasn't joking.

Not quite. Anthony wrote "The buyers allegedy wanted a rifle that was not compatible with the German K98k". There was no K98k in 1924. The recievers of the FN1922 and FN1924 were the same. What the Serbs wanted was a rifle with the already-in-production FN1922 receiver -- with a caliber change and the enclosed cartridge head feature added. The Yugo M24 was taken and used by the Germans without concern for the shorter receiver length; caliber was what was important to the Germans. When FN continued to make the FN1924 they dropped the enclosed cartridge head feature.
    Last edited by geladen; 02-25-2020 at 02:46 PM.

Regards,
    Bill

They and many other countries felt threatened by Germany before Hitler lol. They did have the Gew98 and other derivatives, not specifically the K98.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The K98 is a small ring Polish rifle. The K98k is German.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Real K98.jpg  

Regards,
    Bill

One must remember that the Kingdom of the South Slavs etc
    ( Serbia ceased to exist as a Sovreign state in 1919), when it asked FN for a Mauser style rifle, FN was already making the
    FN M.1922, in 7mm for Brazil as a Short Rifle. Why they went for an Intermediate Action may
    Be a strategic/political reason, not necessarily an Engineering
    Reason.
    7mm was suited for an intermediate lenght Action ( all the 90-96 actions were Intermediate, and the 1900s Mauser export Actions from Germany were also made in the Intermediate lenght (Turkey, some Latin American Mausers, pre 1914 Steyr Serbian )
    So for FN, an intermediate Action suited 7mm, 7,65mm, and eventually 7,9mm...all cartridges of COAL very similar,
    although the 7,9 did require ( in conversions from 7,65, a clearance slot in the rec. ring for
    Stripper clip loading ( see Turk 1903/30, 1893/33, 1888/05/35.

The FN 22 action was the first "98" design action after WWI, as FN had been stripped of its machinery by DWM ( the owner since 1897-8 Licence Court Case) during the German Occupation...the Liege plant became a German Hospital for Army Wounded.
    FN re-equipped with War Reparations, much the same type Loewe/DWM machine Tools it had in 1914, and began by 1921 to plan and produce in its own right ( now Belgian state and stock-holder owned, after the Versailles Treaty.).
    Finally, the decision in 1929-30, to replace the 1924 Intermediate Design with a standard Model 98 design was a purely commercial one, as competition from CZ (Brno), and Steyr-Solothurn, and the renascent Mauser plants, especially in the Export trade ( China, Middle East, Latin America) made the Standard 98
    Action imperative to compete on Equal Terms of interchangeability, quality and Price.

Doc AV

interesting, I finally realize that I barely know the history of this rifle ... I am also the owner of a radom (Polish) mauser that the communist government brought in 1936. What reading do you recommend to delve into the history of action 98 from gw98 until it reaches m48?
    Best regards
    best regards

interesting, I finally realize that I barely know the history of this rifle ... I am also the owner of a radom (Polish) mauser that the communist government brought in 1936. What reading do you recommend to delve into the history of action 98 from gw98 until it reaches m48?
    Best regards
    best regards
    Get the books Mauser Military Rifles of the World, 5th edition, and Mauser Bolt Rifles. Both are a bit confused about the nonexistent FN24/30 rifle, but both are excellent reference books. There is also the book FN Mauser Rifles which is excellent, but limited to FN. Generally, the more limited a book is, the more accurate and detailed it is. For Yugo rifles, get the book Serbian and Yugoslav Mauser Rifles.

The Yugo M48 was developed from the Yugo M24 which came from the FN design later labeled FN1924, which still later evolved into the FN1930. Polish Mausers came from the German G98 and K98a which had nothing directly connected to FN. But you could make a case that the FN1930 was a copy of the VZ24, which evolved from the G98 through the VZ98/22, VZ98/29, and VZ23.

. . . and the Polish government was not communist until after WWII.

Regards,
    Bill

Best regards
    best regards
    Thanks you. Sorry i did`t say that i am from Spain
    regards

Best regards
    best regards
    By "communist government", you must be referring to the Spanish Republic government under the Frente Popular.

I thought he may have been referring to the Spanish Republicans as well. Also, is the "K98" stock you ask about from the Polish rifle you own? It may be an actual K98 as opposed to a German K98k. So many people don't distinguish that it is assumed that a K98k is being asked about. In any case, the Polish K98 stock won't fit the Yugoslav M48 action either as it is also standard length, and a small ring action as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ryg View Post
    Best regards
    best regards
    By "communist government", you must be referring to the Spanish Republic government under the Frente Popular.
    Yes i do

Quote Originally Posted by Stan61 View Post
    I thought he may have been referring to the Spanish Republicans as well. Also, is the "K98" stock you ask about from the Polish rifle you own? It may be an actual K98 as opposed to a German K98k. So many people don't distinguish that it is assumed that a K98k is being asked about. In any case, the Polish K98 stock won't fit the Yugoslav M48 action either as it is also standard length, and a small ring action as well.
    No It is not. The k98k stock It os a diferent one from a friend of mine.
    Thanks for the info i didn't know that

I am also the owner of a radom (Polish) mauser that the communist government brought in 1936.
    Is your Polish Mauser marked "Radom" with the eagle crest?

Is your Polish Mauser marked "Radom" with the eagle crest?
    It is one of those Polish mauser that came with very different markings and without Polish marks due to the arms embargo that there was by the war.
    regards

Good words as usual from Doc Av. That cat must have a photographic memory and type 200 wpm.
    regards
    gil

Thanks you. Sorry i did`t say that i am from Spain
    regards

From Spain? I have a few guns used by Spain.

Ayra Duria Destroyer Spanish Spanish carbine 9X23 Largo 1968 B
    Ludwig Loewe M1891 German Spanish carbine 7.65X53.5 1894 B Spanish American War
    Oviedo Arsenal M1895 Spanish Spanish carbine 7X57 1899 B
    Oviedo Arsenal M1893 Spanish Spanish long rifle 7X57 1899 B
    Ludwig Loewe M1893 German Spanish long rifle 7X57 1896 B Spanish American War
    Ludwig Loewe M1893 German Spanish long rifle 7X57 1894 B Spanish Navy
    Oviedo Arsenal M1927 (Paraguayan) Spanish Spanish long rifle 7.92X57 1932 c. B was 7.65X53.5, made for Paraguay but kept in Spain
    Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken Gewehr 98M German Spanish long rifle 7.92X57 1918 B Spanish Civil War
    Ludwig Loewe M1893 German Spanish long rifle 7X57 1895 c. B Loewe crest, Spanish slider
    Fabrique Nationale M1893 Belgian Spanish long rifle 7X57 1896 B Spanish slider
    Fabrica Nacional de Armas M1910 Mexican Spanish long rifle 7X57 1934 B Spanish Civil War MP8 marked
    Astra 400 Spanish Spanish pistol 9X23 Largo 1925 S
    Star Super Spanish Spanish pistol 9X23 Largo 1951 S
    Llama IIIA Spanish Spanish pistol 9X17 (.380ACP) 1994 S commercial
    Republica Espanola RE Spanish Spanish pistol 9X23 1938 c. S Spanish Civil War Republican made
    La Coruna Arsenal M1943 Spanish Spanish short rifle 7.92X57 1946 B La Guardia Civil
    Radom Arsenal WZ29 Polish Spanish short rifle 7.92X57 1936 c. B Spanish Civil War
    Zbrojovka Brno (ZB) VZ24 Czech Spanish short rifle 7.92X57 1935 B Spanish Civil War
    La Coruna Arsenal M1944 Spanish Spanish short rifle 7.92X57 1950 c. B Spanish Air Force, made from Polish WZ29
    Oviedo Arsenal M1916 first pattern Spanish Spanish short rifle 7X57 1922 B
    Izhevsk Arsenal Mosin-Nagant M91/30 Soviet Spanish short rifle 7.62X54R 1936 B Spanish Civil War
    Industrias de Guerre de Cataluna M1916 Spanish Spanish short rifle 7X57 1938 B Republican made, Subsecretaria de Armamento 1938
    Waffenfabrik Mauser Standard Modell German Spanish short rifle 7.92X57 1934 B Spanish Civil War
    Industrias de Guerre de Cataluna M1916 Second Pattern Spanish Spanish short rifle 7X57 1937 B Spanish Civil War Republican made
    Oviedo Arsenal M1927 (Paraguayan) Spanish Spanish short rifle 7.65X53 1928 c. B
    Warsaw Arsenal (?) K98 Polish Spanish short rifle 7.92X57 1927 c. B Spanish Civil War "A" for Anarchist
    La Coruna Arsenal M1941/44 Spanish Spanish SMG 9X23 Largo (D) 1945 c. F dummy gun, La Guardia Civil

Regards,
    Bill

I have a Star PD from there, too.
    NRA Post Beyond the After Life Member -- Vertrouw op God en je Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    Good words as usual from Doc Av. That cat must have a photographic memory and type 200 wpm.
    regards
    gil
    wou... good collection

Wow, not only a nice collection but a great post! Thank you for the lessons learned here.
    But I'm confused, I'm thinking that a 1948 Yugo Mauser action would actually fit an FN 1924 Mauser stock.
    Am I correct in stating that, or did I miss something here?

Actually have a chance to buy a stock that comes from Mod. 1924/30 FN (short rifle large ring/inter. action), & advertised as such .
    I'm in need of a stock for my '48 Yugo Mauser, mine never came with a stock. Was told rifle was used as a battering ram on a door ...
    I did have the barrel and action checked out by a gunsmith, he found no issues. Except it needs a replacement stock & a good cleaning.
    Thus my question here, would hate to end up with a spare stock I may never use.
    Any advice or corrections are surely appreciated. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MyMalteseFalcon View Post
    Wow, not only a nice collection but a great post! Thank you for the lessons learned here.
    But I'm confused, I'm thinking that a 1948 Yugo Mauser action would actually fit an FN 1924 Mauser stock.
    Am I correct in stating that, or did I miss something here?

Actually have a chance to buy a stock that comes from Mod. 1924/30 FN (short rifle large ring/inter. action), & advertised as such .
    I'm in need of a stock for my '48 Yugo Mauser, mine never came with a stock. Was told rifle was used as a battering ram on a door ...
    I did have the barrel and action checked out by a gunsmith, he found no issues. Except it needs a replacement stock & a good cleaning.
    Thus my question here, would hate to end up with a spare stock I may never use.
    Any advice or corrections are surely appreciated. Thank you!

From post #5: And there never was an FN24/30 model. It was either the FN1924 or the FN1930 with different receiver lengths. You will find incorrect information on this in both MMROTW and Mauser Bolt Rifles. I think one copied the other. So, there are still those in 2020 who think that FN24/30 is a model of FN rifle.

If the stock for sale is an FN1924, it will fit a Yugo M48. If it is an FN1930, it will not.

Regards,
    Bill

this IS a good discussion! it should clarify the differences between the 'FN 1924' and the 'FN 1930'. perhaps a few more people will come to the realization that the term "FN 1924/30" is an 'ERROR'. just the same as some other errors that make it into a printed reference book.

Unfortunately, the reference books mentioned above came out before the FN 1924 vs FN 1930 differences were generally known. I believe it was discussions on this Forum that helped clarify the issue. There are a few other quibbles about those books, but they are the best out there at the moment covering so much.

Thank you geladen for clarifying things for me, "If the stock for sale is an FN1924, it will fit a Yugo M48. If it is an FN1930, it will not."

Turns out it's the latter, FN1924. Thank you everyone.

Unfortunately, the reference books mentioned above came out before the FN 1924 vs FN 1930 differences were generally known. I believe it was discussions on this Forum that helped clarify the issue. There are a few other quibbles about those books, but they are the best out there at the moment covering so much.

Yes, many older reference books refer to the 24/30 model. My old 10th edition of Small Arms of the World by Smith & Smith dates from the mid 1970's and has the error as well. It almost seems like there was an original reference somewhere to both the model 24 and 30 that somehow got interpreted as a single model, 24/30? Who knows how that designation got started.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan61 View Post
    Yes, many older reference books refer to the 24/30 model. My old 10th edition of Small Arms of the World by Smith & Smith dates from the mid 1970's and has the error as well. It almost seems like there was an original reference somewhere to both the model 24 and 30 that somehow got interpreted as a single model, 24/30? Who knows how that designation got started.

The word (or rumor) on that is that there were early FN catalogs which listed "FN24/30". They meant that the customer could buy FN1930 rifles or could choose FN1924 rifles (probably cheaper) instead, as long as the supply of FN1924 receivers lasted. I think Anthony talked about that in his book FN Mauser Rifles - but I am eating dinner at the moment and too lazy to check.

Regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    The word (or rumor) on that is that there were early FN catalogs which listed "FN24/30". They meant that the customer could buy FN1930 rifles or could choose FN1924 rifles (probably cheaper) instead, as long as the supply of FN1924 receivers lasted. I think Anthony talked about that in his book FN Mauser Rifles - but I am eating dinner at the moment and too lazy to check.

Thanks Bill! I figured something along those lines might explain that. Will look at that in Anthony's book when I get a chance.

I just had to drop in on this. Got a chuckle the other day, after reading this thread, when I found for sale at Simpson's - an FN 24/30....https://simpsonltd.com/fn-m1924-30-c47119/