Gunboards Forums banner

ruger new model 9.5" bbl single six serial number

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  cpt-t 
#1 ·
Some years ago I purchased a Ruger New Model Convertable Single Six and now I would like to find out when it was made. The serial number 260-0100 does not show up on any of Ruger's date of manufacture lists. The closest is 260-23867=1984 so I am thinking this gun might have been built prior to 1984 but would like something a little more definitive. Does anyone have any clues that might help.

#2 ·
Looking at the Ruger s/n chart for that model. The switch from two digit prefix to three digit happened between 1983 and 84. The listed starting s/n for 84 was as you stated. I assume the 260 prefix switch started at some point during 1983 and yours looks to be number 100 of that prefix in 1983.

#3 ·
Your reasoning seems sound to me. If I have the 100th single six produced in 1983, there would seem to be 99 more ahead of it and several thousand following up to #23867 in 1984. Curious that none have shown up after my inquiry. I guess I can peddle this one as "Unique". Thanks for your insight.

#5 ·
Super scarce in the 9.5" configuration. I remember ordering a couple way back then, just to have in stock, and they were back ordered forever. When notifications finally came as to the availability of ONE only, I declined. Figured it would be a hard sell and I would probably still have it. Something that only an OCD collector would "have to have" Kind of a "Silhouette Special", but I bet it would be a dandy at that game.

#6 ·
More good info, it was on my table at the Lewiston show this past weekend and had no lookers or any expressed interest in the gun. It was priced at $500 with the unfired mag cylinder, which I thought was a fair price. Now I just have to go with the flow and address the fact that I may have priced it too low and potential buyers were warned off thinking there was something drastically wrong with it. The gun is in near mint condition with adjustable rear sight so maybe it will be a keeper--I have yet to shoot it and it has been in my accumulation for more than 15 years. As a side note, one individual told me that if it had a 6 inch barrel he would definitely be interested--hacksaw handy?

#7 ·
Vintage Smith: I almost ordered a NIB 9 1/2 inch Ruger New Model Convertible Single Six 22LR about a year ago. Out at the Mcconnell Air Force Base Exchange in Wichita Ks. The price was $500 to $550 I believe. I have two friends that have them, and they both shoot very well for me. So I have always wanted one of them. I bought a 9 1/2 inch Nickel Plated Colt Scout 22LR in 1971 and have always really enjoyed shooting & hunting with it when I had the eyes years ago. But it does not have adjustable sights and my eyes have gotten old just like the rest of me. I still intend to buying a 9 1/2 inch Ruger New Model Convertible Single Six in the very near future. For I am getting Old and am very recoil sensitive now, and I find my self shooting a lot more 22LR`s than my harding kicking center fires anymore. I have always had a love affair with long barreled Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns every since I was a young kid.
ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.