SVT mount value?

Thread: SVT mount value?

Default SVT mount value?

What is the value of an original SVT mount? I know they are rare and plenty of repo out there. Just trying to figure out a ballpark for original.

I saw them sold from around $400 up to $2000 depending on condition.

Quote Originally Posted by mywifesgunakillme View Post
    What is the value of an original SVT mount? I know they are rare and plenty of repo out there. Just trying to figure out a ballpark for original.
    If you are asking because you saw one for 3K on one known online auction site-don't bother, it's fake.

If it's Made in Russia and original, I'll buy it)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ignatandr View Post
    I saw them sold from around $400 up to $2000 depending on condition.

about right

I did see the one posted on an auction site recently, but I have never seen an original for sale and had no idea if that kind of price is reasonable, great deal or out of their minds. I don't collect USSR sniper items, so it's just for my own awareness. Scary to hear that that mount is fake. It looks very good to an untrained eye for sure.

It's one of the "Finnbear" mounts that has been artificially aged. Lot's of details on that one that are not like the originals.

Sadly it is also missing the plunger (the spring is pictured but the plunger is oddly missing). Finnbear certainly made much better mounts than the typical $150-200 mount but not sure what kind of premium that may bring (especially missing the plunger).

I've been looking for an original SVT40 mount for a while now with no luck so far... just have to be more patient I guess to find a nice one.

Personally, I think the Finnbear mounts (complete) are worth $400-$500 as they do look way better than the other options.

Quote Originally Posted by jjjxlr8 View Post
    Personally, I think the Finnbear mounts (complete) are worth $400-$500 as they do look way better than the other options.

Make your own conclusion. This is not the first time I see FinnBear sold for way more than everyone expected. I guess more, and more people want to buy while supply is very limited.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinnBear.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	3641067

Here is the description, it was listed as an original with "some controversy" in the description

"There is some controversy about this mount, as a small batch of mounts was sold in the 1990s by a dealer who claimed them to be authentic (though they may not be) that this matches up with. Even so, these mounts he sold are HIGHLY desirable because even if they are not authentic, they are the closest thing to it that you will find!"

I bought a reproduction M4 bayonet in the repop M8A1 scabbard made by Camillus in the '90s, and it had a similar description saying I have been told it is fake, and been told it is real, make your own decision before bidding. I sent him a kindly worded email with a link to a website that describes the differences between the reproduction and original Camillus M4 bayonets, he thanked me and sent me an offer that I could not refuse, even for a reproduction. Sometimes they are honest, he told me he did not know if it was real or not, and was glad that somebody took the time to show him how to find out. A couple weeks later I watched another repop Camillus in a real M8A1 scabbard sell for $180, and felt a little bad for whoever spent that kind of money to get a reproduction. But it looked really good to the untrained eye as well

Quote Originally Posted by ignatandr View Post
    Make your own conclusion. This is not the first time I see FinnBear sold for way more than everyone expected. I guess more, and more people want to buy while supply is very limited.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FinnBear.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	3641067
    WOW!!! I can guarantee you the buyer was absolutely sure it's the real deal

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by pavlin View Post
    WOW!!! I can guarantee you the buyer was absolutely sure it's the real deal
    Why do you say the buyer was sure it was real ? The seller clearly stated it could not be considered correct and the buyer should be aware it was not!!

Quote Originally Posted by pop63 View Post
    Why do you say the buyer was sure it was real ? The seller clearly stated it could not be considered correct and the buyer should be aware it was not!!
    The initial listing was priced at $3000 buy now and didn’t say anything about authenticity. Honestly I wasn’t watching it when it got relisted at $1600. In this case i just don’t see the logic here. Why would anyone pay the price of almost what original would cost for reproduction?
    Me personally I would take a $500 fair grade dug out condition original over excellent grade $1600 repro any day. But that just me I guess.
    As long as the buyer aware of what he got and happy with the price nothing else matters)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pavlin; 05-01-2020 at 10:06 PM.

I have a very nice FINNBEAR SVT 40 scope mount that Vic ,when asked by me back in the 1990's , said it was original and very correct and go head and buy it from his friend Finnbear. It now seems the current selling price is double what I paid for it , thank you very much

I have a very nice FINNBEAR SVT 40 scope mount that Vic ,when asked by me back in the 1990's , said it was original and very correct and go head and buy it from his friend Finnbear. It now seems the current selling price is double what I paid for it , thank you very much
    It doesn't matter what someone said at some point, the reality is that the Finnbear mounts are fakes. Period.

This particular listing is very dishonest, it was listed as a ww2 original item, in the ww2 original items category.

The seller listed it as an original, later editing the ad to say there is "some controversy" about them.

Finnbear mounts are not worth that much, whoever bought it thought it was real and was getting a bargain (wow, it went down from $3000 to $1600!)

List a Finnbear mount, with an honest descritpion, clearly saying that it's a reproduction that's made out of spec (compared to originals), with fantasy made up markings (using cyrillic that doesn't exists), by a dishonest scammer at $0.01 starting price, that'll show you the market value

Quote Originally Posted by Jimja View Post
    It doesn't matter what someone said at some point, the reality is that the Finnbear mounts are fakes. Period.

This particular listing is very dishonest, it was listed as a ww2 original item, in the ww2 original items category.

The seller listed it as an original, later editing the ad to say there is "some controversy" about them.

Finnbear mounts are not worth that much, whoever bought it thought it was real and was getting a bargain (wow, it went down from $3000 to $1600!)

List a Finnbear mount, with an honest descritpion, clearly saying that it's a reproduction that's made out of spec (compared to originals), with fantasy made up markings (using cyrillic that doesn't exists), by a dishonest scammer at $0.01 starting price, that'll show you the market value
    Spot on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, if I list it will be listed as one of the best reproduction mounts made to date and at a staring price at $750,00 and the let bidders have at it . You Know that the going price for a Chinese after market copy is $175.00 more or less plus shipping. FIINBEAR's copy is a much better buy in the long run If you do not want to spend $2000.00 or more for a real mount !

My story is worse that that. I had 3 Finnbear mounts at one time. I bought another rifle that came with a mount, but sold off the mount since it wasn't "original" like my others. You guessed it, it was a real mount.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    My story is worse that that. I had 3 Finnbear mounts at one time. I bought another rifle that came with a mount, but sold off the mount since it wasn't "original" like my others. You guessed it, it was a real mount.

Cass
    Now that's a one hell of a BURN!!!

Cass
    Ouch!

Dave

If you can use a repo SVT 40 sniper scope mount Numrich has one on sale @ $ 100.00. But they are closed for now due to New York State left wing Govenor!! However they are taking orders over the internet.

Cass
    I also had three at one time, before we figured out they were fake/repo. I have one or two left? Got a couple of decent dug originals, which I prefer for the two snipers that I kept.