Hungarian PU BC0006 at Cabela's

Thread: Hungarian PU BC0006 at Cabela's

Default Hungarian PU BC0006 at Cabela's

I'm cross posting this from Facebook because despite the issues it's a cool rifle and the price isn't totally outrageous...

Anyone want a Hungarian PU, 1952, BC0006? Cabela's in Grandville MI has one for $1049. Presumably the sixth Hungarian PU made. No import marks and quite a lot of patina.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/LlsL1bA

Issues:
    No cleaning rod
    front band spring missing
    stateside buttstock repair that cracked the stock
    stock has been varnished
    reproduction mount
    Soviet scope
    bolt handle weld repair (battle damage to bolt handle and original optic/mount?
    pitted crown and the last few inches of the bore look pretty bad

Otherwise the bolt, receiver (barrel), buttplate, and mag floorplate all match, Hungarian marked stock. Base is original. Somehow the price jumped when I had it transferred up here.
    Oh and apparently none of their mosins are C&R eligible because Cabelas internal compliance dept has determined the Soviet 91/30 postwar refurbishment means the guns are modified and no longer C&R eligible. Yes, including this Hungarian rifle....
    Last edited by Miller Tyme; 04-29-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Almost certainly a Vietnam bringback. The missing original scope and mount bothers me less than the cleaned the refinished wood.

If the piece were original I would advise the owner to remove the added scope assembly and appreciate it for what it is. More than a few sniper rifles lost their scopes and remained in service by the VC/NVA.
    Last edited by Richard in NY*; 04-29-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Almost certainly a Vietnam bringback. The missing original scope and mount bothers me less than the cleaned and the refinished wood.

If the piece were original I would advise the owner to remove the added scope assembly and appreciate it for what it is. More than a few sniper rifles lost their scopes and remained in service by the VC/NVA.
    Yea I knew the scope and mount were not original when trying to purchase on the phone but when I got it in hand the refinished wood killed the deal for me. And agreed, almost certainly a Vietnam bringback.

I think it would pair nicely with a well worn PU optic and original mount. I bet the damage to the bolt handle probably destroyed the scope and mount.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bodie221 View Post
    Yea I knew the scope and mount were not original
    Just to be clear the scope is original, it's just that it's not correct scope for a Hungarian PU.
    Mounts is in fact reproduction

If it's Made in Russia and original, I'll buy it)

Quote Originally Posted by pavlin View Post
    Just to be clear the scope is original, it's just that it's not correct scope for a Hungarian PU.
    Mounts is in fact reproduction
    Yep! I have owned a few real PU's and shoot mine regularly.

One of my earliest gun experiences of any kind was learning why the [SA] marked PU rifle at a Gander Mountain was incorrect... 30's receiver, that one also had a real Soviet PU optic.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    Almost certainly a Vietnam bringback. The missing original scope and mount bothers me less than the cleaned the refinished wood.

i concur, smells vietnam. the sprucing it up was common among gi's when they got it home, as i am sure you are aware. the need to make things better sometimes overwhelms a grunts better judgement lol

i could show you mine with 20 coats of gloss poly

Quote Originally Posted by mjmd View Post
    i concur, smells vietnam. the sprucing it up was common among gi's when they got it home, as i am sure you are aware. the need to make things better sometimes overwhelms a grunts better judgement lol

i could show you mine with 20 coats of gloss poly
    I agree, smells of Nam. I am also tempted but that stock hurts my eyes. At least the O2 shows. I have an original mount. Soviet scopes were common on these. Traditional wisdom is that many left the factory with soviet optics since scope production was low and inadequate. My Nam gun has Soviet scope and mount and a VN mud colored finished stock. Everything else matches.

Unlikely to be a good shooter unless counterbore would fix it.

Stupid Cabelas thinks C&R requires original. Replica PUs were sold as C&R.