What year and arsenal was Zaytsev's Mosins?

Thread: What year and arsenal was Zaytsev's Mosins?

Default What year and arsenal was Zaytsev's Mosins?

Having difficulty finding where it's spelled out exactly. PEM scope was used in '42 and later a PU. PEM scopes rifle should be late 30s as I recall.

Are the serials known?

Some of your answers can be found here.

https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...-Sticky-topics
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Miller Tyme View Post
    Some of your answers can be found here.

https://forums.gunboards.com/forumdi...-Sticky-topics
    Search only comes up with Vic's thread and that discussion is about the Igor mount.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by hardwired View Post
    Search only comes up with Vic's thread and that discussion is about the Igor mount.

When I click on it it brings up all the sticky topics, but you can also access at the top of the Sniper Forum under the heading Sub-Forum.
    "The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

If I remember correctly, before he was wounded in January 1943 he used 1942 Izhevsk PEM.
    Serial number of this rifle is unknown
    Since 1944, when he returned to service - 1943 Izhevsk PU with serial ВГ9135, this rifle is at the display in Museum of the Stalingrad battle

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vz4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	3648943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vz3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	3648945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vz2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	3648947

Here are pics of Zaitsev with the '42 PEM. Ratnik are these Zaitsev?
    The one with the SVT I think it's him as well...

Name:	General Vassili Chuikov & Gurov meet with Vassili Zaitsev (Far Right) - Stalingrad.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	3648993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zaitsev sniper.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	3648995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zaitsev color.jpg 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	3648997

Quote Originally Posted by Raspootyn View Post
    Here are pics of Zaitsev with the '42 PEM. Ratnik are these Zaitsev?
    The one with the SVT I think it's him as well...

Name:	General Vassili Chuikov & Gurov meet with Vassili Zaitsev (Far Right) - Stalingrad.jpg 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	3648993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zaitsev sniper.jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	3648995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zaitsev color.jpg 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	3648997
    Yes, that's him.
    And yes, I forgot about the SVT. So seems at some point he also used SVT. Besides, it is also 1942 production, like his PEM, bolt carreier is blued
    Zaitsev is in the white camo suit

Name:	imStalengrades-322.jpg 
Size:	872.4 KB 
ID:	3649005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General-Chujkov-s-vintovkoj-snajpera-V_Zajceva_Stalingrad_1943.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	3649007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	General-Chujkov_snaiper-Zaicev_author-G_Zelma.jpg 
Size:	940.7 KB 
ID:	3649009

Regarding his use of the SVT, he specifically mentions using that rifle in a specific action at Stalingrad in his memoirs. He describes his small group of snipers being tasked with slowing down a much larger group of Germans and you get the impression they were intentionally armed with the SVT for that particular mission (and with great success, assuming it's all true).

Ruprecht

Thanks all for the great info!

How many snipers were deployed at Stalingrad? The last Ost front book I Blood Red Snow, Guunter and his squad was attacked in the trenches outside the encircled 6th Army. Two of his komaraden were hit with what he called exploding bullets. The 1st was emotionally fatigued, got reckless and didn't keep his head down. The 2nd thought he had the cover of the misty fog, ah ah. I think later he found him in a hospital and had surprisingly survived.

Any information on these exploding bullets?

I assume the blued bolt was to avoid sun mirror-like reflections. I haven't come by one personally. Are these regular bolts? Are all parts blued? Anyone blue there "chrome" bolt carriers?
    Last edited by hardwired; 05-11-2020 at 02:18 PM.

There is a video done by the “In Range” TV guys a few years ago going over the exploding ammunition.

https://youtu.be/AXaaybiRiYY
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR EX PE AND PEM MOSIN 91/30'S (32-34 PE and 38,40,42 Tula PEM)***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT 4x90 AJACK SETS***

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    Regarding his use of the SVT, he specifically mentions using that rifle in a specific action at Stalingrad in his memoirs. He describes his small group of snipers being tasked with slowing down a much larger group of Germans and you get the impression they were intentionally armed with the SVT for that particular mission (and with great success, assuming it's all true).

Ruprecht
    Is it worth getting Vasily's sniper notes book? Saw a review he really didn't talk about the equipment - maybe censored. A later one references Stalingrad in the title - Which book versions is recommended? Any others on the battle a must read?

Were the auto loading SVts accurate for use in sniping?

Does this mean I need an SVT?

yes, it's worth reading! first hand experience is definitely worth absorbing.

also, didn't Doug Bowser mention shooting some exploding ammo in his "rifles of the white death"?

The one with the SVT-40 rifle is sniper Nikolai Ilyin.

Would the "exploding bullets" be the ZP ranging incendiary round?

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/displ...darticles=2752
    No ads in signature

Quote Originally Posted by Ratnik View Post
    If I remember correctly, before he was wounded in January 1943 he used 1942 Izhevsk PEM.
    Serial number of this rifle is unknown
    Since 1944, when he returned to service - 1943 Izhevsk PU with serial ВГ9135, this rifle is at the display in Museum of the Stalingrad battle

Name:	vz4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	270.5 KB 
ID:	3648943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vz3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	3648945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vz2.jpg 
Size:	302.6 KB 
ID:	3648947
    I have seen that one in the museum. Great place to visit. He verified that rifle years later at a ?? year celebration. He was wounded while using the PEM.

I saw this in an article that I read recently regarding the arsenal he used. I believe it was somewhere around 1942. Though, I would suggest visiting a museum to really confirm whether or not its true.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper40 View Post
    The one with the SVT-40 rifle is sniper Nikolai Ilyin.

Yes, agree...not Zaitsev... I don't know who he is but he is not VZ.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver1 View Post
    Yes, agree...not Zaitsev... I don't know who he is but he is not VZ.

Ilyin, Nikolai Yakovlevich (Hero of the Soviet Union)

Nikolai Yakovlevich Ilyin ( 1922 - June 25, 1943 [1] , p. Yastrebovo , Kursk region ) - Soviet sniper, Hero of the Soviet Union , foreman , deputy political instructor.

https://clever-geek.github.io/articl...889/index.html

An excellent video, in Russian, can be found here:

Ilyin Nikolai Yakovlevich, 1922-1943. [Video: electronic resource]: [video]. - Electronic data (1 video file). - (St. Petersburg: Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library, 2010). - (Heroes of Victory). -
    System requirements: 1 GHz or higher; RAM 512 MB or higher; Windows; Windows Media Player; video adapter; sound card.
    Access mode: the Internet portal of the Boris Yeltsin Presidential Library.
    The title from the screen.
    Duration: 6:40. Ch.-b. with color. episodes, sound
    Original resource: Ilin Nikolai Yakovlevich, 1922-1943 gg. [Video recording]: [video]. Moscow: OOO "Russian Historical Channel", 2010. The file in avi format on the hard disk. Location: Russian Historical Canal LLC.
    Copying by users is not allowed.
    Russian Historical Canal LLC.
    The movie from the series "Heroes of Victory" from the collection of documentary films of the Russian Historical Channel "Il'in Nikolai Yakovlevich, 1922 -1943. " tells about the Soviet sniper, Hero of the Soviet Union N.Ya. Ilyine .
    I. "Russian Historical Channel", Limited Liability Company (Moscow) .1. Ilyin, Nikolai Yakovlevich (1922 - 1943) - Documentary films. 2. The people (the collection). 3. Power (collection). 4. The Great Patriotic War - Heroes and heroism - 1941 - 1945 - Documentary films. 5. Documentaries.
    https://www.prlib.ru/en/node/413521
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

The Zaitsev book is a good read but...big but...it was written and deliverd at a time of serious censorship and Soviet authority of all communication.
    Vasily was a solid Communist and had been since childhood as a member of Communist youth organizations so there is that in his writing. Everyone is a patriot...everyone loves the State per se....
    At the time of his writing experience in Stalingrad there were serious desertions and failings that resulted in thousands of soviet soldier executions.... you will find none of this.
    I have no doubt he was a brave soldier and many of his experiences were portrayed realistically....otoh much is fabricated and it is hard to figure which is which....

If you really want to read a sniper fantasy try 'Lady Death' by Pavlichenko ...anyone who has been in combat will recognize this as a figment of imagination....and many Russian scholars have challenged the book too as make believe....she was a Soviet invention to impress and persuade the American Press and politicians.

I enjoyed 'Red Sniper on the Eastern Front' by Pilyushin…. still the same political 'Huzzah' that was required of authors but was written later so not as politically prolific....he was in the Leningrad pocket....his personal and family sacrifice were tremendous and consuming....but he soldiered on.

The Soviet Union was a cancer but many that served her were hero's of the first order....

The Zaitsev book is a good read but...big but...it was written and deliverd at a time of serious censorship and Soviet authority of all communication.
    Vasily was a solid Communist and had been since childhood as a member of Communist youth organizations so there is that in his writing. Everyone is a patriot...everyone loves the State per se....
    At the time of his writing experience in Stalingrad there were serious desertions and failings that resulted in thousands of soviet soldier executions.... you will find none of this.
    I have no doubt he was a brave soldier and many of his experiences were portrayed realistically....otoh much is fabricated and it is hard to figure which is which....

If you really want to read a sniper fantasy try 'Lady Death' by Pavlichenko ...anyone who has been in combat will recognize this as a figment of imagination....and many Russian scholars have challenged the book too as make believe....she was a Soviet invention to impress and persuade the American Press and politicians.

I enjoyed 'Red Sniper on the Eastern Front' by Pilyushin…. still the same political 'Huzzah' that was required of authors but was written later so not as politically prolific....he was in the Leningrad pocket....his personal and family sacrifice were tremendous and consuming....but he soldiered on.

The Soviet Union was a cancer but many that served her were hero's of the first order....
    I agree, I thought Pilyushin’s story was overshadowed by the others but his story was the most remarkable.
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR EX PE AND PEM MOSIN 91/30'S (32-34 PE and 38,40,42 Tula PEM)***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT 4x90 AJACK SETS***

Quote Originally Posted by Raupleminze View Post
    I agree, I thought Pilyushin’s story was overshadowed by the others but his story was the most remarkable.
    It was a remarkable time in the Leningrad siege. The only thing I find tedious in all of the books is the required soldier to soldier conversations about the wonderful Soviet state etc., the politically correct Communist stuff.....having been a combat Infantry and SF soldier it cracks me up....not exactly authentic.
    'Get on line...for the Constitution.... let's go Urra!'.....

Still, they are good reads and the sacrifice comes thru.....if read with valid history by Michael Jones/Anthony Beevor and Vassilly Grossman one can find the truth...Grossman is excellent...especially his notebook records hidden and then published out of the Soviet Union...his notes could have earned him a trip to the Gulag as he noted what he saw even tho he was a good and supportive Soviet Officer newsman.

It was a remarkable time in the Leningrad siege. The only thing I find tedious in all of the books is the required soldier to soldier conversations about the wonderful Soviet state etc., the politically correct Communist stuff.....having been a combat Infantry and SF soldier it cracks me up....not exactly authentic.
    'Get on line...for the Constitution.... let's go Urra!'.....

Still, they are good reads and the sacrifice comes thru.....if read with valid history by Michael Jones/Anthony Beevor and Vassilly Grossman one can find the truth...Grossman is excellent...especially his notebook records hidden and then published out of the Soviet Union...his notes could have earned him a trip to the Gulag as he noted what he saw even tho he was a good and supportive Soviet Officer newsman.
    ---Agreed. Grossman is Excellent. This is the book of the published notes...

I highly recommend it.

Name:	91Nner251HL.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	740.7 KB 
ID:	3669595