Sighting in PU Sniper

Thread: Sighting in PU Sniper

Default Sighting in PU Sniper

Hello all,

I posted about my Hungarian M52 in the Collector’s Forum the other day asking for information on the piece.

I am taking her out to the range tomorrow and figured I would ask for any and all advice on sighting in a PU scope. I noticed when looking through the reticle that it is somewhat off-center and out of line with the iron sights. Is this fairly normal?

I found a decent page on the Rifles of the Red Star website that gives a good description of the process. I understand though that this is only supplemental to people who have done actual sighting in.

I may actually post this in the Mosin Nagant forum as well to get more words of insight on it.

If anyone has anything to add, please don’t hesitate!

Start by looking down the bore at an object about 100yds away and compare that to the scope post while not moving the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBelarussian View Post
    Hello all,

I posted about my Hungarian M52 in the Collectorís Forum the other day asking for information on the piece.

I am taking her out to the range tomorrow and figured I would ask for any and all advice on sighting in a PU scope. I noticed when looking through the reticle that it is somewhat off-center and out of line with the iron sights. Is this fairly normal?

I found a decent page on the Rifles of the Red Star website that gives a good description of the process. I understand though that this is only supplemental to people who have done actual sighting in.

I may actually post this in the Mosin Nagant forum as well to get more words of insight on it.

If anyone has anything to add, please donít hesitate!
    Before you fire a round.

Put it on something, that will hold it steady, I use bench shooting bags.

THEN look through the barrel (with the bolt removed of course), at something out there.

I use a tin disk, nailed to a pine tree, 100 yards away from my window.

Then without bumping the rifle, move your eyes, so that you can see, what your iron sights are "looking" at.

Then without bumping the rifle, move your eyes, so that you can see, what your scope is "looking" at.

All three, should be looking at pretty much, the same place.

IF NOT.

The scope is the quickest, easiest thing to adjust, just twist the knobs till the tippy point of the recital, is in the middle of what you see looking through the bore.

That will get you on paper, at fifty yards for sure, and you can go from there.

First shots.

MAKE SURE ALL YOUR ACTION SCREWS, AND SCOPE MOUNT SCREWS ARE TIGHT.

I'd shoot using the irons first, and see if it shoots true. Just three slow, careful shots.

Then I'd try the scope, go slow, three very careful shots, DON'T TILT THE RIFLE EVEN SLIGHTLY.

How I avoid doing that, is when I'm putting up my Mangy Moose target, I use a carpenter's level,to perfectly level the target.

Then when I shoot, I use the horizontal, and vertical post in my scope, and line them up precisely, with the cross on the boarders of the center diamond, on the target.

That way I know I've got the rifle/scope level too.

Now, I've never yet met a Mosin that shot well when hot.

Don't let it get HOT.

They can handle warm, but they hate being hot.

Then look where your shots went.

One index mark on the scopes windage, will move your POI, about 3.5 inches. Ronbo 6 is expert on this, and helped me zero my scope.

Your irons, .33mm shift of the front sight will move your POI, about an inch at fifty yards, and two inches at 100 yards.

I'm sure I forgot something important, but I'm done for now.

Good luck!

Oh, look at that target, see that nice 3/4 inch group, in the upper right?

My son shot that with his Classic Arms, Tulsky PU.

He was tilting the rifle just very slightly to the left, so with the tip of the recital on the bulls eye, his shots were going high and right, because of the nearly two inch difference between the center of the bore's axis, versus the center of the scopes axis. Understand all that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1217[1].JPG  

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Montana, this seems like a pretty solid way to substitute for a boresight tool or laser. I unfortunately do not have one for 7.62x54r, so your technique is going to hopefully come in handy. I look at it like doing a complex algebra problem, everything has to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBelarussian View Post
    Montana, this seems like a pretty solid way to substitute for a boresight tool or laser. I unfortunately do not have one for 7.62x54r, so your technique is going to hopefully come in handy. I look at it like doing a complex algebra problem, everything has to agree.
    Yes that boresight and laser tool sure come in handy but I have tried dozens of them and none fit tightly into a Mosin bore. They all wiggle some more than others. Reason being they fall under the one size fits all category. Like one size cheap ball cap will fit all, No not really. You find things like for a 30.06 but will work on 7.62x54r WRONG! Some I tried on my rifles had thin sleeves enabling them to supposedly work with my Mosin. WRONG! If they wobble around in the bore they are one wobble away from even getting on paper at 100 yards or so I figure.

So I tried the sight down the bore with bolt removed trick and got no where. I let my buddy WVChuck do it the same day and he got it on paper immediately. Now Chuck wears real thick glasses and he could do the bore sight trick yet I couldn't ? I don't know what the answer is there frankly? I have found I don't shoot well with a PU scope post and reticle type scope. Give me a mildot cross hair scope and I do well. Also my eyes have changed over the years from not doing well at all with a peep sight to loving them now at 76. Now knowing and admitting I am not Carlos Hathcock's other white feather has helped tremendously with accepting the results with scoped rifles. I shoot much better with old open iron sights than I ever did in my life and have real good days and ones I should have stayed home from the range too. This is all part of learning what life has in store for you and excepting it. Try different types of ammo for sure, even different batches of the same ammo make for differences. Many younger people like to quote learning to live with the new normal in life for our current situation. Wrong! I will learn to triumph and return to my old normal one way or the other! So get the blank out of my way or get run over you old fart! Or young whippersnapper which ever it may be. Just keep trying new ways and methods till that antique Russian scope works for you and you are having fun at the range again or shoot meat for Winter like Montana does! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Good to see you are still posting Zee!

You get to go out to your favorite restaurant yet?

I think bore sighting, is in a way, like learning how to use your mirrors, when backing up the truck.

It's more of, your brain learning to correctly interpret the image, your eyes are giving it.

Zeebill, thanks for the words of advice and hear, hear, I say to getting back to normal. I had to go on hiatus because my school’s campus shutdown, and both my jobs were laid off until further notice. I’m able to hunt thank God, but what really chaps my posterior is our lame brain governor has shut down our public shooting ranges on state land. And many more anticipate that she will extend the lockdown period. I can’t even take anything out for a few plinks. Lots of yard work and house maintenance is the cure here.

Man, I got a laser-bullet for the caliber and it stood right on with my iron sights.
    Sure-enough, that was where it hit at 50.

Might start there, yet tomorrow is the day.
    It may be helpful tonight to do the look-through the barrel bore sight (described above) indoors with much light tonight at the longest distance you can achieve. A place to begin? A light switch down the hall and not too far will be better than starting out dry.
    It has been very helpful to me in the past.

Have fun and bust some caps! Feel some recoil!