PU Mount Base Screws – Indexing Cutouts

Thread: PU Mount Base Screws – Indexing Cutouts

Default PU Mount Base Screws – Indexing Cutouts

So I figure with all this time at home I'd revisit a couple of PU sniper rifles I had re-snipered about 15 years ago by putting correct Tula and Izhevsk bases on the proper rifles. The challenge is figuring out the base screws and getting them nice and tight but still index with the locking screws. As far as I can tell (and I'm not a gunsmith), there is no real way to get them to index unless you get really lucky so I'm figuring that it is best to get some un-notched screws and just redo them from scratch. If there is some trick to getting already notched screws to index please share that secret.

Otherwise, does anyone know where I can get 2-3 sets of un-notched screws? Originals would be great but that is probably a long shot so really authentic repros are also good.

Lastly, is there a special drill press bit for doing the notching so that it doesn't notch the whole side of the screw and leaves that small "shelf" on the bottom edge of the screw like original screws?

Thanks

Default PU Mount Base Screws – Indexing Cutouts

There’s a way to use already indexed originals.
    I never did PUs resnipering but plenty pe and pems and would use original screws if i can get them even if it’s one or two.

The trick is to chuck the head of the screw in the drill press, run it at 200-300 rpms, there’s not enough meat for a firm grip so if you run at higher rpm the chances are it’ll get loose and fly out where you won’t find it. Then slowly remove material underneath the head with a precision file periodically checking if it clocks correctly when tightening in the rifle. Takes 5-10 min for each screw depending on how much material needs to be removed.

If using new unindexed reproductions just tighten them then notch with a 7mm square end mill. Drill press with cross slide vise will do the job just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's Made in Russia and original, I'll buy it)

Wow... that all looks surprising easy. I was thinking about shaving the underside but wasn't really sure of myself. Thanks so much for the tech tips. I'll have to pick up a cross slide vise this weekend which I assume is just to allow for some real precision positioning and locking things down versus trying to clamp things to the drill press table.

Some of my screws are a tad buggered so I may pick up some new screws so they are nice and clean. Is there anyone out there selling original screws? I just don't trust most of the eBay sellers.

Thanks again... great stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

If the threads are chewed up on originals just get the proper size die. It’ll clean it up. If they are completely destroyed then i guess reproduction is the only choices. Leonid (ostfront.militaria) on ebay sells good reproductions. Original PE or PEMs screws that are available for sale basically don’t exist, the only times i was able to have them is when they came with the base. PUs on the other hand come up for sale pretty often, check ebay or gunbroker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's Made in Russia and original, I'll buy it)

It's the heads/screw slots on a couple of these PU main screws that are pretty chewed. I see a few sets of PU screws on eBay but it is so hard to tell if they actually are original or not. I guess I just don't trust a lot of sellers on eBay which is probably a good thing.

Thanks