8MM Nambu Reloading (Powder Drop)

Thread: 8MM Nambu Reloading (Powder Drop)

Default 8MM Nambu Reloading (Powder Drop)

I知 looking to reload 8mm Nambu on a progressive loader (Lee Loadmaster) and have a powder drop issue. I have always used Lee dies but had to get a set of CH4D dies. The CH4D case expander die has a rod in the center to expand the case and I知 accustom to Lee dies where powder drops through the center of the expander die.

Is there any comparable Lee die I can use to expand a case for powder drop? The loadmaster has 5 stations and I知 stuck priming on station 2 so I also size on #2 and use a universal decapper on #1. If I use station 3 for expanding with the CH4D die, I壇 have to powder drop on station 4 and bullet seat in station 5 and lose my factory crimp station.

So....if there is a Lee die I can 殿d hoc to get a small case expansion, So I can reload 8mm Nambu all at once.

Any one have experience or advice to share? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you can do and I have done. Is run your cases through the loading process. Then when you are done. Do all your crimping in a single stage press like a rock chucker. It's another step. But not a great big deal I feel.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

I'd probably reconfigure are suggested to crimp offline. Then if you really want to get trick, figure out how to do an original style 3-point dimpled crimp.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
    What you can do and I have done. Is run your cases through the loading process. Then when you are done. Do all your crimping in a single stage press like a rock chucker. It's another step. But not a great big deal I feel.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I do have a rock chucker I can setup to crimp. What did you use for the powder drop? Thanks.

I have an RCBS turret press. I do my cases then put my cleaned, primed, trimmed for length cases in one of those loading trays. Put the powder in using one of the many powder dispensers. Then back to the turret press to seat the bullet and crimp. I'm not after accuracy. I'm after volume. I mainly use 7.7mm in my LMG. I might add. All these dies are in the turret part of the press. Each turret hold multiple dies. A quick twist and your onto whatever die you decide. You never have to re-index.
    Preserving history. One rifle at a time.

Okay, I think I have a solution to my 8mm Nambu powder drop. Let me know what you think!

Using a Lee Lodmaster:
    #1 - CH4D decap and size die
    #2 - CH4D expander and prime cartridge
    #3 - Lee powder through expander die for 7.62 x 25 Tokarev
    #4 - CH4D bullet seat die
    #5 - CH4D crimp die

As for a powder drop, if I case expand with the 8mm Nambu CH4D expander die, I 都hould be able to powder drop with a Lee powder through expander for 7.62 x 25 Tokarev. The Nambu case mouth will be larger and allow powder to drop inside the case without spilling powder (Tokarev bullet is .011 smaller). As long as the Nambu case doesn稚 contact the inner wall of the die, it should allow the Nambu case to lift the expander enough to activate the powder drop. I plan on adjusting the depth to only allow enough pressure to lift the powder drop without changing the case dimension so it only acts as a funnel.

The only down side I can see is priming with the expander ball in the case. It 都hould center and hold the case firm when priming.

This 都hould allow me to knock out rounds in a true progressive manner without having to size/prime on the press, manually powder elsewhere, then back to the press to individually load primed/powdered cases to seat and crimp....if I had to do this, it would probably be easier to use my single stage press.

Sorry for the long read....thoughts??

I think the only way to confirm if it will work is to try it, but I've got to wonder if it wouldn't just be easier to work up a batch on a single stage. I guess that comes down to the volume you expect to shoot. My Nambu only gets light workouts on the rare occasions when I shoot it. A box of 50 rounds will last me several years at the rate I shoot it.

Well...this worked like a champ! The Lee Tokarev powder drop die had to be drilled out a bit so the case could clear the die housing to lift the powder drop cylinder. It fits nicely inside the expanded case...no leaky powder...nice smooth lift.

I used 100gr bullets from HDS, 4.6gr of HP-38, OAL varies between 1.240-1.245. I ran two magazines and it cycled perfect. It did shoot a little high at 25 yards so I will probably try 4.2gr on paper vs my backyard dinger so I can see exactly where they hit.

When I can find 8mm Nambu on the interwebs, it runs around $1.15 a round + shipping. Now I can reload for 25 cents, in 1/10th the time...all I need to do is chase down my brass.

All I need now is more brass!

Keep your powder charge at 4.6 for proper cycling of the action. Thanks for your post. I also have the CH dies. I’ve been forming my cases from 357 Sig. A little bit of a pain but far cheaper than purchased brass.

I shot 21 rounds of my original batch of 4.6gn of HP-38 and it was more accurate than I initially thought. I was able to keep a 4-5 grouping on paper at 15 yards...with a few fliers. I think I値l keep this setup.

I guess I値l look into resizing 357 Sig and see if it痴 worth the pain of saving on HDS Nambu brass.

Thanks for the suggestion.