Ziess Zielmultar

Thread: Ziess Zielmultar

Default Ziess Zielmultar

I found this scope in the back of the safe. I think I purchased it years ago just because. It has a 1.385 tube and claw mounts . It is in very good condition. I'm sure it is a hunting scope but I may be wrong . Anyone have a guess what it was used for and what the value would be. Thanks. Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0819[1].jpg  

IMG_0818[1].jpg  

Not sure if it was a typo or you wrongly read the name, but the company reads ZEISS and not ZIESS. I'm mentioning this not to play teacher, but in case you used the wrong company name a research would not give you the same results as with the correct company name.

This is a scope model from the series of variable power scopes Zeiss started manufacturing around 1925. The large lever atop the elevation adjustment changes the magnification of the scope. This replaces the usually found focal adjustment that was atop the elevation adjustment; the focal adjustment was moved to the eyepiece.

While not necessarily rare, they are not common either and most aren't even aware of them. These command a premium to collectors that are looking for these scopes. Since they represent the very first variable power scopes these are interesting from a technical point of view.

I am not aware of any military usage of these scopes. This does not outrule the chance that whichever state ordered a handful to trial these scopes on military rifles, but none that I am aware of officially introduced this scope into service in larger scales. The scope rings found on your scope would support this for them being (what looks like) Suhler Claw Mount, what is a commercial hunting type scope mount. It could as well also be Mauser Square Bridge rings, but I'd need to see the claws on bottom to be able to tell this.

Thank you for your reply . My fault on the spelling. I'm sure that is why I could not find any Info. The claw mounts are numbered 285 on the bottom. The rear one almost looks like a square post with a hole in it , and the windage adjusts from the right side of the rear post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0821[1].jpg  

IMG_0822[1].jpg  

Last edited by edwardc; 05-26-2020 at 12:19 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

This mount is the Mauser Square Bridge mount. This makes it obvious your scope originally was sitting on a Mauser factory sporter rifle and therefore being of commercial origin. This mount is very rare by itself. This however does not mean a scope with these rings is expensive - only if you have a rifle lacking a scope it makes it a tough job to find one, but on the other hand if you have one you'll most likely be not able to find a rifle for it as well..

Thank You for the all your help with this scope, Is there anyone that makes the base plates? If not I will put it in a display case as it is a work of art. Thanks again for your help. Ed

I have one of those myself, also having bought it “just because”. I have searched for a rifle to fit it to but so far no luck given those claw mounts.

It has particularly nice glass and besides being the first practical zoom, it is amazingly first focal plane!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
    Thank You for the all your help with this scope, Is there anyone that makes the base plates? If not I will put it in a display case as it is a work of art. Thanks again for your help. Ed
    I remember a few years back seeing scope bases available online with a US custom gun shop specialized for Mauser rifles. Unfortunately however I couldn't find it again. Please be aware that the rear scope base is quite complicated and usually an integral part of the receiver bridge of the rifle. Soldered or welded on rear bases are third party produced parts.

Right on both counts. New England Custom Guns make very nice bases but not for the rear because as you have stated the rear bridge is the rear mount, machined to fit the ring. So back in the display case unless a benevolent collector cannot live with out it. Or maybe wants to take it in on trade for a Nedinsco marked scope for my 1909 Argentine Sniper.

Hello,

The name of the company was clawmounts.com but I recently looked them up and they appear to be no longer in the Mauser mount business anymore. They make some AR-15 mount last I checked that is a quick release type deal. They made solder and screw on versions of the original 1 piece double square bridge receiver assemblies as I picked a set up and they were pricey but glad I got a set as you just don't see them available any wheres. I will have to look it up but I believe Goerz (Tricertar 3.33-5.66x and a 4-7.5x), Emil Busch (Variovisar), And Voigtlander (Panskopar) beat Zeiss to the variable power scope before WWI with Voigtlander just after 1919ish as Zeiss didn't start making rifle scopes till 1921.

The OP can you post a clear pics of the serial?? is it 9857? 9837? 9657? 9637? 9357? 9337?

Thanks
    Vaughn
    Last edited by vaughn99; 06-02-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vaughn99 View Post
    Zeiss didn't start making rifle scopes till 1921.
    So the Zeiss G.Z., G.Z. II and G.Z. III prism scopes for rifles date to post 1921? ;-)

9857 is the number of my scope. Thank You for the help

Hello,

Riflescopes and Prism Riflescopes are 2 different things. We are talking about Riflescopes so the info is correct.

Later
    Vaughn

Yes, the difference is one has the word "Prism" in the name, still both are intended for rifles and therefore may be consolidated under the name "riflescope" or even "scopes" as we were originally talking upon ;-).