Rifles of the white death book

Thread: Rifles of the white death book

Default Rifles of the white death book

This is not a for sale add

I am in the process of cleaning out a ton of duplicate books in my library and have a copy of rifles of the white death by Doug bowser I can't find any for sale online except one on Amazon for 275 which seems way to high. Any one know what they go for? Please not a sale add just trying to get a idea so I can post it in trader. Not trying to break any rules

Quote Originally Posted by T99 View Post
    This is not a for sale add

I am in the process of cleaning out a ton of duplicate books in my library and have a copy of rifles of the white death by Doug bowser I can't find any for sale online except one on Amazon for 275 which seems way to high. Any one know what they go for? Please not a sale add just trying to get a idea so I can post it in trader. Not trying to break any rules
    Might check some other sites: suggested ones dealoz.com; alibris.com; abebooks.com and also try ebay.
    Theoretically dealoz.com compares several sites including the others I mentioned but doesn't appear to be foolproof.
    There's also an idsabooks.com that has never shown up on a dealoz search for me that you could check.
    Out of print used reference books can go for crazy high. Unfortunately, you can also find them on occasion later for fractions of the max price you may see. Of course, absolutely no guarantees on that and books may never be seen for sale again. Another thing that can happen is that a rare book gets reprinted or updated which could drop the price in a major way.

If you can remember what you paid and tack on a reasonable profit and/or inflation margin you might try that if some of those other sources see comparable to your amazon price experience.

If they have gun shows in your area, and if there are any book dealers that go there, sometimes you can make trades that way as well. Or you could try to sell your books to the dealer if he's interested.

Appears to me that used book dealers are a dying breed: like collectible firearms, many are on the internet now. But collectors die, or lose interest, and they or their spouses sometimes donate to the local thrift shop. Some bigger thrift shops are on the internet but seems like they are often the cheapest net sellers. (Of course, some are on amazon.com as well.)

The last one I saw for sale was well over 10 years ago and went quickly at $150. I haven't seen a copy of that book for sale in a long time. Is it autographed by Bowser on the front inside leaf? That would add value to it. Off hand a lot of the info in that book is now dated but the line drawings are very helpful at times to me. If I put it one a table at a gun show I would put $250 on it at the least. Good Luck! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I did not know that my copy of the book is so valuable !
    KH

I got in touch with Doug through a Facebook page about 2 years ago or so. He sold me 2 copies for I believe $64 plus shipping. So I would say about $35 per copy. If I can find out for sure I will update.

It was May 2018 and it was $56.70 shipped for 2 copies.

Is this the book you are talking about? I may sell mine!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3438.jpg  

Ah, but do you have "Rifles of the Snow," the previous edition?
    Dark Forces on the march...
    Angel's Glow is out! The Peacock Papers begin
    https://www.amazon.com/Angels-Glow-P...s=davis+riddle
    The Battle of Shiloh and a demonic disease spreads!

The Visitor, another story from the Peacock Papers!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011YLLQCE

I bought mine for $40 from Doug a few months back.

Can’t trust online bookseller prices these days. Ludwig Olson’s Mauser book is a classic. I recall prices were over the moon on Amazon. $275? Another undercutting them at $273.26, etc. Got a “great deal” on Ebay, less than a hundred bucks. Then I discovered I could buy it new on the Brownells website for a very reasonable price, like $45 at the time, if I recall.

The big websites allow and encourage the use of automated scripts. One computer will see that a book is available from a seller, and will list the book on another site for double or triple the price. If someone buys it, the first computer orders the book from the real seller, has it shipped to the buyer, and profits the difference. Then you have other computers that see the prices asked by these two and price their (real) copies at some point between them. Sometimes the scripts will get into bidding wars with each other, too.

Result: everybody knows the book is worth something, but when there’s only a single copy or two actually for sale at any given time, the prices quoted on the big sites are likely to be scammy and taken with grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaminboy View Post
    I got in touch with Doug through a Facebook page about 2 years ago or so. He sold me 2 copies for I believe $64 plus shipping. So I would say about $35 per copy. If I can find out for sure I will update.

It was May 2018 and it was $56.70 shipped for 2 copies.
    My word that is about what Doug charged me many long years ago!! I used a phone number I believe was written on a copy of the book a friend had. He is an exceedingly honest forthright man judging by what he charged then and now. I do have a copy of the earlier and much thinner book he had printed. Have no recollection of where I got that. Very knowledgeable man he has a book about shooting Swede Mausers floating around out there to I believe. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

I know Doug personally, even got to sit with him behind a table at a couple of gun shows. You should see his Mosin collection. At its height, there were more than a hundred Mosins of every kind in his building. I haven't been by in quite some time, but it was amazing when I saw it.
    Dark Forces on the march...
    Angel's Glow is out! The Peacock Papers begin
    https://www.amazon.com/Angels-Glow-P...s=davis+riddle
    The Battle of Shiloh and a demonic disease spreads!

The Visitor, another story from the Peacock Papers!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011YLLQCE

In response to zeebill and Davis, I too found Doug to be an exceedingly friendly gentleman. He could have easily made me pay handsomely for the book and I probably would have. I have nothing but nice things to say about the man. I am sure if people here reached out to him, he would probably still give them a more than fair deal.

I reading through mine tonight that Doug signed & sent to me many years ago. Thank you Doug!

What happened to the movie about "the white death" that was supposed to be made?
    Did it get made? Sources?

Thumbs up Rifles Of The White Death.......

This made me go dig out my first edition from 1998 that Doug so graciously signed for me.

Reading through it just now I happened upon a section of only one Italian Brescia rifle in 6.5 mm
    that Doug had seen that was SA marked. I knew I had a Brescia, so I had to go dig it out and of course it's Not SA marked.

His book is a good read and still helpful. Thanks Doug

AZB
    ~ Premium Beagle In Beagleland ~

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    I know Doug personally, even got to sit with him behind a table at a couple of gun shows. You should see his Mosin collection. At its height, there were more than a hundred Mosins of every kind in his building. I haven't been by in quite some time, but it was amazing when I saw it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark AP View Post
    I bought mine for $40 from Doug a few months back.
    Since other people have been successful in directly contacting him, what's the best way to reach out to Doug to buy this book?

Does anyone have the author's contact information available?
    Thanks

Mike O is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

"You mean to say you don't know me? I'm Antti Rokka. A farmer from the Isthmus. At the moment I sell bullets."

Thank you

Apparently, no longer a valid email address.

Try this. He may not pay any attention to this either though.

https://forums.gunboards.com/member....14-Doug-Bowser

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Ah, but do you have "Rifles of the Snow," the previous edition?
    That's the one I have, bought from Doug in the first weeks of publication, a very long time ago. I have one of his repro M39 bayonets, too.
    "No Anchovies? You got the wrong man, I spell my name Danger!" (Click)

Unfortunately, I think he is or has had health issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brasiliae120 View Post
    Apparently, no longer a valid email address.
    I contacted him via it last week and he sent me an address to mail a check to.

That one has typically worked. If not, try this one: [email protected]

He got back to me on the yahoo addy.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Got my book today 1 week to the day I sent the check.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Check out ebay.
    The aliens are here already are you going to save our planet?