New gun buyers are increasing in number.
Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: New gun buyers are increasing in number.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,089

    Default New gun buyers are increasing in number.

    Gun sales are "spiking" nationwide in view of the unrest in our nation. Fortunately, our gardens are planted and the lawns are mowed, so we can accommodate all the newbies sent to us by the local gun shops. These intelligent, middle age people are both aspiring CCW folks, as well as NEW gun owners wanting to be checked out on handguns, shotguns and rifles.

    We easily handle the influx of people and I see some interesting findings: About 30% of my students were already (non-shooting) gun owners because they had inherited guns from older, deceased family members. Many inherited guns were of WWII pedigree or old hunting shotguns and rifles "used by grandad" relegated to a closet or attic until the current situation. We evaluate all old guns for safety and function. I have seen both nice stuff and terrible relics. Some ancient ammo associated with many arms was not suitable for safe firing.

    My main finding is how few folks today are really gun savvy. We gently educate all.

    Webley

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,441

    Default

    2 Million First-Time Gun Owners in First Half of 2020 Alone
    Breitbart ^ | June 04 2020 | AWR HAWKINS
    Posted on 6/4/2020, 12:26:34 PM by knighthawk
    As concerns over self-defense became more pronounced in 2020, initially during the cornonavirus hysteria and then during the current spate of protests and riots, two million Americans became first-time gun owners.



    On Wednesday the NRA tweeted:


    Earlier this week Breitbart News reported that May 2020 shattered the record for the number of National Instant Criminal Background System (NICS) checks performed in a given May. FBI numbers show 3,091,455 NICS checks were conducted in May 2020, easily surpassing the previous record of 2,349,309 checks set in May 2019 and dominating the numbers from any other May since records began to be kept in May 1999.

    (Excerpt) Read more at breitbart.com ...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Montana,

    Dealing with "Pilgrims" is an education unto itself. I regret I left my Vest behind when I retired. I ask students to not bring Loaded guns to class. Most comply except for those who do not, or CANNOT! There are many stories for another day. All turned out Well.

    Webley

  4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    5,441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webley One View Post
    Montana,

    Dealing with "Pilgrims" is an education unto itself. I regret I left my Vest behind when I retired. I ask students to not bring Loaded guns to class. Most comply except for those who do not, or CANNOT! There are many stories for another day. All turned out Well.

    Webley
    GULP!

    One Pilgrim to another, "How can I tell if this gun is loaded?"

    Second Pilgrim, "Dunno, maybe pull the trigger? If it's loaded, it will go off?"

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WVA free state mind distancing!
    Posts
    47,428

    Default

    Democrats sale more guns than being afraid of criminals!
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Democrats sale more guns than being afraid of criminals!
    DK, can you reiterate that, don't quite understand.

    That said I guess I'm going to hold off buying a 1911 for at least a couple years now until things settle down and they want to sell. Heck, not even buying ammo either. Price to high.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Democrats sale more guns than being afraid of criminals!
    You are absolutely right. The incompetence and inability to govern the Democrats are displaying is driving gun sales as people feel afraid with calls to defund the police. Also on striking display is the hypocrisy of the Gun Control lobby screaming that guns are dangerous whilst Democratic Party endorses organizations that riot, loot, burn, and murder openly carrying the very weapons Democrats wanted to take from the law abiding.

  9. #8
    Clyde's Avatar
    Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    92,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Estaban View Post
    DK, can you reiterate that, don't quite understand.

    That said I guess I'm going to hold off buying a 1911 for at least a couple years now until things settle down and they want to sell. Heck, not even buying ammo either. Price to high.
    "More people buy guns because they are afraid of Democrats than those who buy guns because they are afraid of criminals".
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Estaban View Post
    ...That said I guess I'm going to hold off buying a 1911 for at least a couple years now until things settle down and they want to sell. Heck, not even buying ammo either. Price to high.
    "Don't need to fix the leak in the roof because it not raining."

    (OK, the unstated bit was probably, "Not adding to the already bulging arms chest either...")

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WVA free state mind distancing!
    Posts
    47,428

    Default

    Thanks Clyde.

    all these criminals they been letting out everywhere..

    all, I mean all the credit,
    Is given to Democrats politically driven unsureness ..
    increasing sales of guns across The board Each election and at other times.., makes no difference the parties, nor being non gun enthusiast!....
    ANNY GET YOU GUNS..! While availability Lasts..
    A NEW NORMAL REACHED PEAKED to new numbers EACH ELECTION!
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

  12. #11
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    56,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Estaban View Post
    DK, can you reiterate that, don't quite understand.

    That said I guess I'm going to hold off buying a 1911 for at least a couple years now until things settle down and they want to sell. Heck, not even buying ammo either. Price to high.
    Don't know about the price of ammo, as I have not purchased any for some time now. Some 22lr - standard velocity was recently recommended for me but with the panic I am not going to buy (already have a bunch). Firearms - well been in the mode that it must be a good deal.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WVA free state mind distancing!
    Posts
    47,428

    Default

    Looked at ammo prices when I bought my bp rifle other day..
    Prices jumped by less than half More!
    limited availably in popular cals.
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Had the chance recently to buy a used winchester lever action in 30-30 at a fair price. But I've had two of them in the past. I'd buy a lever action in .357 to go with my blackhawk. That would make a fine pairing. Just checked and the price on Henry wasn't to bad. Never had a Henry though. Birthday coming up near the 4th of July.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

  15. #14
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    56,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Looked at ammo prices when I bought my bp rifle other day..
    Prices jumped by less than half More!
    limited availably in popular cals.
    Should have stocked up when prices were cheaper.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Well stocked up on ammo the last couple years when cheap, (see ammo bunker post) but I don't really want to try and buy a couple thousand rnds of .45 right now as much as i'm dying to get a 1911. A good .357 lever gun would fit right in without the added expense.
    Don't Violate My Airspace

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WVA free state mind distancing!
    Posts
    47,428

    Default

    I don’t need any years now...just said I looked..
    I did buy 38’s other day nocked the dust of the can Been there two years..no price change..400 pmc rounds!
    had plenty but got another 38 so I buy Ammo for each gun..
    now a days I buy on the cheep only...
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

  18. #17
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    198

    Default

    I'm seeing expensive but not shocking prices in big distributor ads for 200, 500, 1000 round etc. quantities of the big three modern semi calibers, .223, .308 and 7.62x39, plus 9mm, .40, etc. Nothing I would hesitate to pay were I in stocking-up mode. I now must question when it will ever get cheaper.

    At a certain age you don't want to leave a bigger burden for your survivors, like thousands of old 'bullets.' I'm not quite there yet but do think about it.

    ETA. Seeing ".38s" in the previous post suggests I should change that to "I'm not in stocking up mode except for a few niches." ;-) (Chief's Airweight :-) ). (Probably good on .22 mags.) (.380 for old Beretta? Meh.)

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Guys,

    We are seeing many nice WWII "Bring Backs" at our classes. I have seen several 9mm Lugers, a couple P-38s and a few M1911A1 .45 pistols. The one I liked the best was a 1943 Ithaca M1911A1 in MINT condition carried by a WWII veteran who lived nearby. It is now his grandson's house gun.

    The first thing I do is collect up the WWII corrosive ammo and ditch it! Modern non-corrosive ammo is recommended for many nice guns. The people wanting instruction are now exploring a world they never considered on New Year's Eve 2020! My how times have changed.....

    Webley

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WVA free state mind distancing!
    Posts
    47,428

    Default

    After thinking about ammo..
    I started filling the new ammo boxes with the estate I bought ammo..
    took hours..grouping, near sames..
    all shotgun ammo..12,20,16, 410, pistol and shotgun...
    all kinds of shot sizes, slugs, buckshot in all of them too!
    some steel duck, and magnums, regular lengths too.
    skeet..100 round boxs..20# boxs....Steel shot..
    all on top of what I already had....moving all that and open my stuff...still got more up stairs to take down I’ve caught in yard sales, flea markets, pawn shops, ect...

    now I can buy other secondary shotguns in more cals.
    With out feeling I can’t feed them...Or paying new higher prices!

    you be surprised how people needing money Have ammo,
    not having a gun in that Cal. Any more?
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

  21. #20

    Default

    Web,

    It is a testament to the quality of WWI and II era firearms that 75-100+ years later they are still being used as home defense weapons. They are perhaps not ideal for the job compared to what one can buy today, but the 1911 remains popular in modern builds of all calibers for good reason, while the Lugers and P.38s utilize the ever effective 9mm round. That said, I would highly recommend something newer to suit their purposes for many reasons.

    Those intending to use a Luger as a home defense weapon or CCW weapon really ought to learn how to clean it on a monthly basis. They are more sensitive to corrosion that comes with being thrown in an uncontrolled climate environment, like a sock drawer, and forgotten about. And do not forget, they are capable of discharging while disassembled if a round is chambered. While I do keep a few of my Mec Gar Luger mags loaded just in case, I am in deep trouble if I have reached the point where I need to load one of my Lugers for self defense purposes as I would have already emptied all magazines for at least 3 other weapons first.

  22. #21
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    56,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest2 View Post
    I'm seeing expensive but not shocking prices in big distributor ads for 200, 500, 1000 round etc. quantities of the big three modern semi calibers, .223, .308 and 7.62x39, plus 9mm, .40, etc. Nothing I would hesitate to pay were I in stocking-up mode. I now must question when it will ever get cheaper.

    At a certain age you don't want to leave a bigger burden for your survivors, like thousands of old 'bullets.'
    I'm not quite there yet but do think about it.

    ETA. Seeing ".38s" in the previous post suggests I should change that to "I'm not in stocking up mode except for a few niches." ;-) (Chief's Airweight :-) ). (Probably good on .22 mags.) (.380 for old Beretta? Meh.)
    It helps when one has a daughter, her husband and one of their kids, plus another daughter, husband and their son & daughter - who could and would use up the ammo. The problem will be with the accessories & firearms - where they will keep a few & sell the rest,
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  23. #22
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    56,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaiser View Post
    Web,

    It is a testament to the quality of WWI and II era firearms that 75-100+ years later they are still being used as home defense weapons. They are perhaps not ideal for the job compared to what one can buy today, but the 1911 remains popular in modern builds of all calibers for good reason, while the Lugers and P.38s utilize the ever effective 9mm round. That said, I would highly recommend something newer to suit their purposes for many reasons.

    Those intending to use a Luger as a home defense weapon or CCW weapon really ought to learn how to clean it on a monthly basis. They are more sensitive to corrosion that comes with being thrown in an uncontrolled climate environment, like a sock drawer, and forgotten about. And do not forget, they are capable of discharging while disassembled if a round is chambered. While I do keep a few of my Mec Gar Luger mags loaded just in case, I am in deep trouble if I have reached the point where I need to load one of my Lugers for self defense purposes as I would have already emptied all magazines for at least 3 other weapons first.
    Kind of hard to do a trace on those firearms.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  24. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    Kind of hard to do a trace on those firearms.
    Would have to imagine it would frustrate a lot of ATF agents as well as collectors to trace a Luger SN, lets use 1111 as our example. Having to explain that there could have been double digit Lugers per year with that number combo including their possible suffix letter-not including any foreign contracts that had separate serial ranges, multiplied by 32 years of production, across multiple makers, etc...you get the point. Nigh impossible to trace an individual gun, as you mentioned.

  25. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    Kind of hard to do a trace on those firearms.
    cpw,

    WHAT IS the NEED to trace any WWII firearm? What is the "Track Record" of BATFE Tracing CRIMINAL Guns?

    WWII bring backs NEVER made USA less safe????

    Be Well.

    Webley

  26. #25
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    56,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webley One View Post
    cpw,

    WHAT IS the NEED to trace any WWII firearm? What is the "Track Record" of BATFE Tracing CRIMINAL Guns?

    WWII bring backs NEVER made USA less safe????

    Be Well.

    Webley
    The need to trace WWII firearms would be the same need as there is for later guns.

    I have been involved in several traces. But the result of the trace was not revealed, Just like the result of many investigations by the police department.

    By the way, you have an over use of capital letters.

    Take care.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    The need to trace WWII firearms would be the same need as there is for later guns.

    I have been involved in several traces. But the result of the trace was not revealed, Just like the result of many investigations by the police department.

    By the way, you have an over use of capital letters.

    Take care.
    cpw,

    Tracing a gun had never solved any crime I investigated in 26 years. With the many "Straw Purchases" that DOJ only prosecuted 15 last year, what is any good about tracing a gun? Criminals do not fill out Forms 4473s, so tracing only leads back to the relative or friend who bought the criminal's gun. Also, most criminal guns are Black Market stolen guns which TRACE Only back to the last legal gun owner and not to the Bad Guy.

    I think we would better expend resources on tracing criminals. I think we should focus on the criminal rather than the means used. I never had any gun "trace back" to any criminal. If tracing solved crimes, please send us a few examples and give us a few cases that Prevented any crime?

    Be Well.

    Webley

  28. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    WVA free state mind distancing!
    Posts
    47,428

    Default

    Finish: reorganization of new ammo and grouping all inventory..two straight days.
    Whole work bench underneath full and one more rocket box can to fIll!
    moving all opening and refilling..my back hurting second day..

    I checked all cals..243 is the weakest ..7mag..two cals.
    I have a don’t shoot as much of at aall.
    so flea market, gun shows, traders, be looking for more cheep 7mag. 243!
    im out of here bath resT.
    "Christís Grace + being constitutionally solvently Give strength resistant To Marxism!

  29. #28
    cpw's Avatar
    cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    56,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Webley One View Post
    cpw,

    Tracing a gun had never solved any crime I investigated in 26 years. With the many "Straw Purchases" that DOJ only prosecuted 15 last year, what is any good about tracing a gun? Criminals do not fill out Forms 4473s, so tracing only leads back to the relative or friend who bought the criminal's gun. Also, most criminal guns are Black Market stolen guns which TRACE Only back to the last legal gun owner and not to the Bad Guy.

    I think we would better expend resources on tracing criminals. I think we should focus on the criminal rather than the means used. I never had any gun "trace back" to any criminal. If tracing solved crimes, please send us a few examples and give us a few cases that Prevented any crime?

    Be Well.

    Webley
    As I mentioned, I have never been informed of why the trace is being done and what the ultimate outcome is.

    I have set up at gun shows. You might be surprised of the number of couples that come to the table where the guy looks at the firearms and the female (wife or girlfriend) does the paper work. Of course, my practice is to dial (on the smart phone) my office, then go thru the question sequence, then tell them that they are delayed.
    Charlie
    II Thessalonians 3:10
    Romans 1:26-32
    I Corinthians 6:9

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cpw View Post
    As I mentioned, I have never been informed of why the trace is being done and what the ultimate outcome is.

    I have set up at gun shows. You might be surprised of the number of couples that come to the table where the guy looks at the firearms and the female (wife or girlfriend) does the paper work. Of course, my practice is to dial (on the smart phone) my office, then go thru the question sequence, then tell them that they are delayed.
    cpw,

    Are you an FFL Licensed Dealer? I was once and what you described about the couple and the "guy looking at a gun the girlfriend does the paperwork on" is probably the TYPICAL "Straw Purchase" occurring in your presence! Bad Guys are savvy enough to go around the Form 4473 much like underage kids having a wino go buy them beer and pay enough for the wino to get his own 6-pack.

    So much for tracing guns. The DOJ has the 4473 on "Straw Purchase" guns that police determine ended up in criminal hands, but check with the DOJ prosecutions of how FEW are ever prosecuted? It is an open and shut case as the recent purchaser has provided name, address, DOB, SSN, etc., to buy the gun. So we uselessly run 2+/- MILLION NCIC checks monthly and end up with nothing for the most part. About 95% of the background check rescreen honest citizens and the other 5% law violators are not prosecuted. Why?

    Webley
    Last edited by Webley One; 06-26-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •