Caution: USMC MC-1 Griffin & Howe Mounts for MC1952 Garand Sniper Rifle

Thread: Caution: USMC MC-1 Griffin & Howe Mounts for MC1952 Garand Sniper Rifle

Default Caution: USMC MC-1 Griffin & Howe Mounts for MC1952 Garand Sniper Rifle

If you plan to spend big money on USMC MC-1 mounts for the MC1952 Garand sniper, please educate yourselves on the details. There have recently and currently been some commercial Griffin & Howe mounts represented as original USMC mounts. They are very different and the values of the commercial mounts are a fraction of the USMC mounts.

Here is a link to a post I made a few years ago on the CMP forum that shows pictures of the original MC-1 scopes and mounts.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=109995

I don't want to see anyone burned on a misrepresented mount. If anyone needs larger pictures I can send them when I am back to my computer.

Thanks,
    Cass
    Last edited by Cass; 06-05-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Yeah I've seen that too.

There's a M1903A1 Unertl Sniper currently selling for a huge amount of money that isn't real either. It seems this kind of stuff happens a lot to people and I always feel terrible for the buyer.

The Marine Corps Sniper rifles and scopes command a big premium and are very rare. It's very important buyers heavily research these rifles and scopes before they make a commitment to buy one.

Here are a few larger pictures of the first and second type mounts. The first type mount also has the squared off levers and also has T4 marked rings.

Cass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2017e1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	3665497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2013e1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	3665499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2027e1.jpg 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	3665495

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Hope you dont mind if I drad this thread in a slightly different direstion.

What is the quality of the repro M1C/MC-1 scope mounts out there???

Few years back I bought someone's repro M1C sniper rifle for the real parts it had - a M1C scope&mount, cheekpad, and flash-hider. Had what I'm pretty sure was a repro base on the receiver. Paid $2700 for the whole deal which I believe was a steal! Unfortunately someone butchered a real nice NFR rifle to make it. Its original barrel gauges less than a 1.

Anyhow all those parts now rest on my CMP M1C.

That however leaves me with a pretty nice fake/faux M1C without a mount. Would really like to fix that situation and do some real shooting with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN9853.jpg  

DSCN9210.jpg  

DSCN9205.jpg  

DSCN9199.a.jpg  

DSCN9073.jpg  

Last edited by Tom-M; 06-07-2020 at 11:10 PM.
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

Cass, that’s a good side by side... do we know why the release latches were changed, and rings made slighter?
    andy

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Here are a few larger pictures of the first and second type mounts. The first type mount also has the squared off levers and also has T4 marked rings.

Cass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2017e1.jpg 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	3665497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2013e1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	3665499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2027e1.jpg 
Size:	215.7 KB 
ID:	3665495

Quote Originally Posted by alund View Post
    Cass, that’s a good side by side... do we know why the release latches were changed, and rings made slighter?
    andy
    Andy:

There was a good article about these a few years ago (2013) in the GCA Journal by Bob Seijas and Dave McClain. I provided a few pictures that they used there too. They reported meeting with G&H and asking similar questions. They were told that the drawings were actually lost between the first and second orders and had to be redrawn. The military nomenclature requirements also changed around that time (you see that on other items in the late 50's too). The earlier M1C levers were rounded, so for whatever reason they went with those.

The rings are actually the same dimensions, there is a lot of perspective in the pictures. I apparently didn't take a shot from the top, but this shot of them from the bottom shows them in the same plane.

Cass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2022e1.jpg  

Here is a shot of the first type (bottom) and second type (top) mounts and scopes mounted on two rifles.

Cass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2314e.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Here is a shot of the first type (bottom) and second type (top) mounts and scopes mounted on two rifles.

Cass
    very very nice... not one but two Marine Corps Garand snipers.... and ever so different... I am afraid to shoot mine.

Excellent post Cass. Thank you.

Are the bases/brackets slightly longer than M1C as Johnny B. in Tx tells me. My stuff largely came from him quite a few years back.

Alund, I have shot mine a couple times. I have a put together M1C that shoots better. Both have minty bores. I love the scope though.

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    Excellent post Cass. Thank you.

Are the bases/brackets slightly longer than M1C as Johnny B. in Tx tells me. My stuff largely came from him quite a few years back.

Alund, I have shot mine a couple times. I have a put together M1C that shoots better. Both have minty bores. I love the scope though.
    Mike:

Johnny had it right. The picture above was actually cropped out of a larger picture. Here is it showing an M1C mount and M82 scope alongside the MC-1 mounts and Kollmorgen scopes.

The MC-1 is considerably longer.

Cass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2314e3.jpg  

Thanks Cass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-M View Post
    Hope you dont mind if I drad this thread in a slightly different direstion.

What is the quality of the repro M1C/MC-1 scope mounts out there???

Few years back I bought someone's repro M1C sniper rifle for the real parts it had - a M1C scope&mount, cheekpad, and flash-hider. Had what I'm pretty sure was a repro base on the receiver. Paid $2700 for the whole deal which I believe was a steal! Unfortunately someone butchered a real nice NFR rifle to make it. Its original barrel gauges less than a 1.

Anyhow all those parts now rest on my CMP M1C.

That however leaves me with a pretty nice fake/faux M1C without a mount. Would really like to fix that situation and do some real shooting with it.
    I put together a MC-1 sniper clone using one of the French repro mounts that are now for sale on Ebay. Overall the quality of the mount is fair. The two locking levers tend to over close a little on the Numrich repro base that I used, and they tend to try to work loose after a number of rounds. I just have to remember to check them occasionally. It might fit better on a real GI base. My only other problem was with the hex screws for the scope brackets tend to strip pretty easily. It still makes a pretty fun to shoot MC-1 clone and I don't have to worry about messing up an expensive scope or rifle. I've got a Kollmorgen 4X commercial scope on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails i-QHc2rLd-XL.jpg