Gunboards Forums banner

MAS 49/56 Professionally re-finished

3K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  raubvogel 
#1 ·
I was wondering what are y’all’s take on the Classic MAS 49/56 for sale that have been refurbished by James River Armory?
With a 1k price tag, not a bad idea with some rough imports from Africa. I wish I could do a review comparing them to a few of my MAS 49/56 rifles I have that were refurbished and stored before being imported. If anyone has purchased any of these recent MAS 49/56’s please post. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The one pictured on their website looks just like the one in my basement. I wonder what work they actually did on these rifles. Did they 're blue them? Or just oil them up so they look good. BTW, I bought mine 20 yrs ago and it's in really good condition. Most 49/56 that I've seen were in g-vg condition though I've seen pics of some rough ones on the internet. It is amazing how this rifle has increased in price lately. You still get a nicer rifle for the same money as a Garand. ( do wish I had a Garand in the basement also).

#3 ·
The majority of the rifles that show up on Gunbroker (or really anywhere) are in far better condition than what Classic has. I guess Classic feeds off instant gratification.

#8 ·
Yep. With a little patience and diligence nice rifles can still be located. People paying for the over priced trash coming out of Ethiopia will learn the hard way. I get tired of hearing people say, "this stuff will never be available again" or "get it now before its to late". There are a load of these rifles in the US and they will continue to show up at auctions and gun shows as older collectors begin to sell off and pass away.

#4 ·
Dealing with gunbroker or buying off of the boards here can be scary for a lot of folks.
I read something not that long ago that less than 50% of Americans regularly purchase things online which means those less technologically savvy may be more wary about trying to communicate/manage a non streamlined process.

Many people also do not want to deal with the hassle of sending a MO through the mail now days and people will pay a premium to be able to just enter a card number on a website. That’s why gunbrokers CC checkout process has been getting improved so much. Maybe it’s a generational thing, but just prefer the instant feedback of knowing payment has been received. Plus the hassle of dealing with a lost MO will make you pull you’re hair out.

As someone who had bought plenty of firearms using USPS MOs, I have to say that I’m guilty of paying a premium for certain firearms in the past so that I didn’t have to deal with a MO. Most of the time you’ll get at least 1% back with the card with rewards and you get “free” insurance in case someone doesn’t follow through on their side.

Not saying these are priced right, but they seem to have cornered the market recently on online bulk milsurp sales.

#5 ·
A good way to take an otherwise useless firearm (assuming these had worn barrels) and make it functional and sellable, assuming the process includes rebarreling. Otherwise it seems like a commercialized unnecessary bubba-izing. If someone wants a nice looking MAS 49/56, Ethiopia isn't the place to go shopping.

On a side note, I'm surprised they haven't done the same thing with the worst of the SMLE's and given them 308 barrels either by boreing out the existing worn out barrels or rebarreling with new production.

#6 ·
Here is what CF calls refurbishment: All metal surfaces were professionally cleaned, completely stripped, and re-blued, and all of the wood furniture had a light refinishing. They were then professionally reassembled ensuring proper tolerances and given a final test fire. The result is a fully refurbished rifle that retains its charm and collectibility as a piece of military history

This price seems to be about the same as you find the French Arsenal refurbished MAS 49-56s selling for. The upside is that CF's rifles have not been converted to .308 and they are available and easy to order. Personally, I like my arsenal refurbished MAS 49-56 (original 7.5 French) I picked up a few months ago on Gunbroker for $1300 including the APX scope and case all complete and in perfect condition. It does appear that the MAS 49-56s in 7.5 French are drying up on Gunbroker though.

#12 ·
Here is what CF calls refurbishment: All metal surfaces were professionally cleaned, completely stripped, and re-blued, and all of the wood furniture had a light refinishing. They were then professionally reassembled ensuring proper tolerances and given a final test fire. The result is a fully refurbished rifle that retains its charm and collectibility as a piece of military history
When I read that, the first thing I think of is the C96s and P08s which were "professionally refurbished" in the US. Or Martini Henrys and K43s which had their stocks sanded and coated so now they look brand new and shiny. Collector items to be sold at collector prices?

It's surreal we're to the point where pickings are so slim on Mas availability that a $1k import sounds like a good idea.
Why surreal?

#9 ·
Majority of the 49/56 rifles you will find will be in very good to excellent condition. The rifles were used, arsenal refurbished, and stored until sold as surplus. I don't know why someone would buy a non arsenal refurb for the same money as an actual French arsenal refurb. If you're going to buy one of the Ethiopian guns, buy them for what they are, a warhorse that was treated like such. That's cooler than a glorified sporter in my opinion. JRA guns are just about the same as a mitchells mausers before the fake stamps and lying. They are what they are but not collectible if you ask me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.