WTB/WTT NCO sword scabbard

Thread: WTB/WTT NCO sword scabbard

Default WTB/WTT NCO sword scabbard

I got this nice Type 95 NCO sword the other day. It's a Suya Shoten made sword so that's nice, but strangely, the scabbard is not numbered.
    Does anyone have a scabbard with a serial number of 52143? It's probably a long shot, but figured I would ask. Thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200604_144641.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	3665913

I own a copper-handled 95 with an un-numbered saya. It's not unusual. I think it is from factory, or field repair units. Good luck, though, doesn't hurt to ask!
    Bruce

Thats interesting, I never considered that.
    The scabbard does appear to have been repaired at one time. About 2/3 toward the end there looks like a dent was removed. Maybe it was field repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pennington View Post
    I own a copper-handled 95 with an un-numbered saya. It's not unusual. I think it is from factory, or field repair units. Good luck, though, doesn't hurt to ask!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Pennington View Post

Bruce,

Don't the copper hilted 95's have scabbards with no drag combs ? Was that standard for all makers of the copper handle 95's or just a variation between makers?

Quote Originally Posted by Pphillips View Post
    Thats interesting, I never considered that.
    The scabbard does appear to have been repaired at one time. About 2/3 toward the end there looks like a dent was removed. Maybe it was field repaired?
    It's possible. There were repair teams in the field, so they like carried repacement supplies. An interesting article (wish I could remember where it is) from one of those teams said they had repaired 15,000 blades!
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by panzerfaust44 View Post
    Bruce,

Don't the copper hilted 95's have scabbards with no drag combs ? Was that standard for all makers of the copper handle 95's or just a variation between makers?
    Suya Shoten was the only maker for the coppers, and they were only made for almost 1 year. Yes, they all had heavy saya, no drag. They came with matching numbers, but mine has no number at all, so I think it was a replacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2144.JPG  

IMG_2171.jpg  

Bruce

I had a NCO Sword with a numbered blade but a NON numbered Scabbard with the ser. number of 52180. The scabbard looks like it was never numbered from the factory. Is it possible that this was the norm for that particular production run?

rlc_hntr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_0920.JPG  

101_0919.JPG  

101_0944.JPG  

101_0946.jpg  

101_0907.JPG  

Now this is a very interesting development! I’m going to pass this on to a guy who specializes in Type 95s. I’ll let you know what he says.

edit: I just noticed the Nagoya stamp on the saya, yet the blade is a Tokyo arsenal blade. Hmmmm. The two arsenals were completely separate. Yet the closeness of the serial numbers is intriguing. I’ll see what Shamsy says, though.
    Bruce

rlc_hntr
    Your Type 95 sword was made in Tokyo arsenal, but the scabbard is from Nagoya Arsenal. I assume it was a replacement.
    Trystan

rlc,
    I checked with Shamsy. He's bothered by the fresh, new-looking end of the saya throat, like someone sanded or ground the end in an attempt to remove the number. I'm going to write back because the side of the throat where the "Na" stamp is, still has paint, and this is where the number would be. Can you tell if the paint looks original? Or is it a different shade than the rest of the saya paint? Mine has the same ground down look, but the patina shows that it is old.
    Bruce