Cimarron P. Jr.

Thread: Cimarron P. Jr.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Default Cimarron P. Jr.

Anybody have any real-world experience with Cimarron's P Jr. (small frame guns) or the variant with Birds-head grips? One variation is a 32-20 and second .32 H&R cylinder, and I find myself thinking "I just might like one of those".
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Clyde --- I don't have experience with either the Cimarron pieces you mention above but I do have a pair of Cimarron model P in .45 Colt, with 4 3/4" barrels I use in my SASS matches. They are some of the smoothest revolvers I own. I'd encourage you to pick up P Jr's. and I'm sure you won't be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Coulee View Post
    Clyde --- I don't have experience with either the Cimarron pieces you mention above but I do have a pair of Cimarron model P in .45 Colt, with 4 3/4" barrels I use in my SASS matches. They are some of the smoothest revolvers I own. I'd encourage you to pick up P Jr's. and I'm sure you won't be sorry.
    They are (roughly) the size of a Single Six - a 3/4-size Model P, roughly. About the size of the 1877 SA guns (but are 100% single action). Got the P Jr. with plough-handle grips and then a companion with bird's-head grips. I've handled them, and they feel nice enough in the hand (BTW - the real 1877 SA feels really nice in the hand, balances well and works smooth; and fits a Jordan style holster intended for a K-frame - who'd have thought that?). And unlike real 1877s, probably aren't apt to get out of order if shot a reasonable amount.

But - thought would be nice to know if anybody has had experience with them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Cimmaron did a run of those small frames years ago, there was also a .38-40 with an extra cylinder. My local gun shop is Cimmaron agent and will see if they have a 2019 catalogue tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by chester View Post
    Cimmaron did a run of those small frames years ago, there was also a .38-40 with an extra cylinder. My local gun shop is Cimmaron agent and will see if they have a 2019 catalogue tomorrow.
    Cimarron on-line catalog indicates the dual cylinder 32s are to be had currently. Not, however, 38-40. dual cylinder .22LR/.22 Mag; dual cylinder 32-20/32 H&R Mag; .38 Spl; .41 LC (this may be a 5-shooter).

I have seven of them, all in 38 Special. Five with bird heads and two standard grip guns. I bought them for the family members with small hands. I would reccomend full size guns if you intend to shoot them a lot. The best gunsmith for these Jr's and Lightening's is Lonnie Ammon in Bryan Texas. He is Cimarron's factory gunsmith.

Quote Originally Posted by broncobirnbaum View Post
    I have seven of them, all in 38 Special. Five with bird heads and two standard grip guns. I bought them for the family members with small hands. I would reccomend full size guns if you intend to shoot them a lot. The best gunsmith for these Jr's and Lightening's is Lonnie Ammon in Bryan Texas. He is Cimarron's factory gunsmith.
    My hands are average size, though fingers are long enough that that I can use S&W N-frame guns with target grips, and have a Herrett Shooting Star set on my Blackhawk. At the same time, I have no discomfort with a Single Six. In any case will not be shooting a P Jr. (or "Lightning") a lot. Appreciate the advice, including about Mr. Ammon.

I am a 32-20 shooter, have three Colt SAA, S&W and several Winchester 92 & 73 Carbine and rifles in that caliber. Shoot all of them. My friend bought the small Cimarron for his wife for cowboy shooting but found he needed a third as with all the shooting one of the pistols was in constant need of repair. I would suggest a full sized pistol if you intend to shoot it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmikey View Post
    I am a 32-20 shooter, have three Colt SAA, S&W and several Winchester 92 & 73 Carbine and rifles in that caliber. Shoot all of them. My friend bought the small Cimarron for his wife for cowboy shooting but found he needed a third as with all the shooting one of the pistols was in constant need of repair. I would suggest a full sized pistol if you intend to shoot it.
    All my guns get shot, but few get shot a lot these days. I have several 32-20 revolvers (all DA, Colt except one Spanish; on the look-out for an S&W Hand Ejector and some additional Colts), and shoot them all, none a lot.

There is a auction coming up that has a Cimerron .45 SAA in it BBL is 7 1/2"I have always wanted a .45 SAA and I think this is the closest I'm going to get. Are these good guns? What would be a good starting bid?
    Guns, Guts and Rock 'n' Roll.
    If you don't like the way I'm living, you just leave this long haired country boy alone!

Quote Originally Posted by frogbert View Post
    There is a auction coming up that has a Cimerron .45 SAA in it BBL is 7 1/2"I have always wanted a .45 SAA and I think this is the closest I'm going to get. Are these good guns? What would be a good starting bid?
    They are Uberti-made I believe, and are of good quality as best I can tell, but that is from examining examples and comments from owners. At the moment, I don't own any Cimarrons. Dunno what a good bid on one would be.