Virginian Dragoon in .357 timing problems

Thread: Virginian Dragoon in .357 timing problems

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Virginian Dragoon in .357 timing problems

Hi, all...

I have a beautiful pair of Virginian Dragoons in stainless (.44 mag and .45 LC). I recently chanced upon a rarer blued .357 on Gunbroker, and it's home with me now. I know there's a lot of scammers there, but I thought I did alright until the FFL called me and said "I got your gun in, but I wouldn't shoot it." The cylinder moved all around, stopping occasionally, but when I'd cock it would lock up tight. Pull the trigger, and the cylinder rotates maybe a quarter turn counterclockwise before the hammer is all the way down. Timing is all screwed up.

The first problem was a broken bolt/hammer spring. Replaced that. A bit tighter but still misbehaving with that cylinder rotation. I replaced the bolt (cylinder stop next). A bit better but still scary. I don't even think half cock exists any more. I don't know what could cause the cylinder to "relax" back when I pull the trigger.

I'm open to any of you folks with greater experience than I making suggestions. New hammer, hand, or trigger?

I am grateful for your time.

Thanks and best regards...

...Jamesy

Check if the hand spring and hand spring plunger are in place

Well, they pivot on the hammer and it protrudes through the frame slightly. Not sure what else to look for unless the "fingers" on the hand are worn down. These guns are hard to find parts for and they ain't cheap when I do. I'd love to find a disassembly manual, but I'm treating it pretty much like a Colt SAA except it has a coil hammer spring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

If you remove the cylinder and push rearward on the hand, is there spring tension on the hand?

Some, but it's gritty and inconsistent. Guess that's my next step. I've thoroughly cleaned all the parts so I'll keep you posted when I get under the hood again.

Best regards...

...Jamesy