Gunboards Forums banner

Best War Movies

7K views 101 replies 44 participants last post by  badash5946 
#1 ·
Discussing with my son the top war movies. We set the criteria as:

1. Accuracy in the environment, if not the actual characters
2. Accuracy in weaponry and equipment
3. The intangible of the movie actually “touching” the audience.

Our list
1 Saving Private Ryan
2 We were soldiers (once and young)
3 Blackhawk Down

I also pushed for Gettysburg

Suggestions?

#89 ·
Two excellent recent releases are the Danish production of "9.April"-released in English as "April 9th"-and the Norwwegian movie "Kongens Nei"-released in English as "The King's Choice". Both have very high production values, very careful attention to period details, the scene where the Bluecher attempts to pass Oscarsborg-I'll let you watch it.

#92 ·
The German made “Stalingrad” is one of the better Eastern Front ones for capturing the hardships of regular troops. Although the overall tone is typical for German made war movies that are on the preachy side. Unfortunately Germans have been kinda shamed (somewhat deservedly so) for their martial history and tradition.

“Fury” gets a plus for authentic vehicles. The Tiger used is the Bovington museum’s piece that still runs and I think one of only 5 left in the world.

There’s an obscure Australian movie about an action they had in VN called “Danger Close”. The premise of it is this rogue NCO goes off and the Bde commander is a bit of a dick and leaves him and his unit hanging. Aussie mate of mine had a relative who was a track commander in the mech platoon that went in to get them out says it’s spot on.

#93 ·
There’s an obscure Australian movie about an action they had in VN called “Danger Close”. The premise of it is this rogue NCO goes off and the Bde commander is a bit of a dick and leaves him and his unit hanging. Aussie mate of mine had a relative who was a track commander in the mech platoon that went in to get them out says it’s spot on.
The flick is currently on Netflix and is not too bad

#97 ·
a couple of new ones "A last full Measure" ( 2020 ) want to say it could trigger some PTSD

and "Resistance" also (2020) a very different kind of war movie / story but lets just say being a true movie ( well both are based on real events and people) "Resistance" the movie, starts with Patton hold a big unit formation so the troops can hear the story , supposed to have really happened )

haven't fact checked either one , but found both very good

I found them on amazon

#98 ·
The Winter War (1989) is IMO by far the best Finnish war movie. As per Rooinek's 3 points, environment is pretty much authentic. Main characters are fictional, but the regiment commader lt-col Laurila is based on real person (https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fi&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Ffi.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FMatti_Laurila). Weapons and equipment are spot on.

The movie is available in English subs in Finnish National Audiovisual Institute site in full HD (original theater version) https://elonet.finna.fi/Record/kavi.elonet_elokuva_126330 and less officially (5 part miniseries version, English subs) in https://www.dailymotion.com/outsiderstop/videos

Can anyone confirm if the National Audiovisual institute link is working internationally?

Some scenes and behind the scenes shots from the movie, featuring the director Pekka Parikka in 2nd and 4th photos.

#99 · (Edited)
Apocalypse Now 1979 Francis Ford Coppola

April 9th 2015 Roni Ezra

The Battle of Algiers 1966 Gilo Pontecorvo

The Boat / Das Boot 1981 Wolfgang Petersen

The Bridge/ Die Brücke 1959 Bernhard Wicki

The Bridge on the River Kwai 1957 David Lean

A Bridge Too Far 1977 Richard Attenborough

Ché 2008 Steven Soderbergh

Come and See 1985 Elem Klimov

Culloden 1964 Peter Watkins

Dr. Strangelove, or: How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb 1964 Stanley Kubrick

Downfall / Der Untergang 2004 Oliver Hirschbiegel

Elite Squad / Tropa de Elite 2007 José Padilha

Full Metal Jacket 1987 Stanley Kubrick

Glory 1989 Edward Zwick

The Guns of Navarone 1961 J. Lee Thompson

Hearts & Minds 1974 Peter Davis

Letters from Iwo Jima 2006 Clint Eastwood

The Longest Day 1962

Many Wars Ago / Uomini Contro 1970 Francesco Rosi

Midway 1976 Jack Smight

Paths of Glory 1957 Stanley Kubrick

Pork Chop Hill 1958 Lewis Milestone

Seven Samurai 1954 Akira Kurosawa

Stalingrad 1993 Josef Vilsmaier

State of Siege 1972 Costa-Gavras

Tae Guk Gi The Brotherhood of War 2008 Kang Je-gyu

Thin Red Line 1998 Terrence Malick

Unknown Soldier / Tuntematon Sotilas 2017 (the original black and white is OK too) Aku Louhimies

A Very Long Engagement 2001Jean-Pierre Jeunet

The Wind that Shakes the Barley 2007 Ken Loach

The War Game 1965 Peter Watkins

Zulu 1964 Cy Endfield

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.