Gunboards Forums banner

type I in 7.7

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  htshot 
#1 ·
Good morning,
My stepdaughter asked me to help her find some 7.7 ammo for the rifle her grandfather (a marine) broght home at the end of WW2. I asked her to snd me some pictures of the rifle, and was surprised to see a type I carcano. I thought that al of them were made in 6.5.
I did find a brief reference online about 300 being converted to 7.7 for trials, does anyone here know more about those? She tells me that she has shot this rifle before with 7.7 ammo, but I don't have any more information on it, and her grandfather has passed on.
Below are the pictures she sent me.

y'all have a good day,

Keith

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I asked about that, she insists she shot it with her grandfather when she was growing up and they used 7.7. Absolutely no idea if it might have been converted stateside, but I might have a chance to look at it in August, we'll be going to visit because one of her daughters is getting married.

Keith

#7 ·
The Carcano is a large ring action made from good steel , it is plenty strong enough . I have no idea who deemed it unsafe for 8x57mm , or why they would , or if they even know what they are talking about . Also the factory loadings of 7.7mm are loaded lighter than the 8mm military 154 or 198 loads . I have built many custom rifles with Carcano actions . Back to the rifle in question , it looks to have the original barrel on it . So it is 6.5mm unless someone bored it out and re-rifled it . Also even a one eyed person should be able to look and tell a .264 hole from a .312 one .

#13 ·
I'm not sure what you are talking about. A 30 cal bullet with sit into the muzzle of a 7. 7 pretty deep. 30 cal is 308 7.7 is between 310 and 312 diameter and 6.5 is around 256 diameter. Using a 30 cal bullet as suggested makes the difference pretty obvious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Some actual facts . First you list the land dia for the 6.5mm , but the groove dia for the 7.7mm . I just took a standard .308 165 grain sp bullet and put it in the muzzle of a T-38 , it protruded .690 . When the same bullet was put into the 7.7mm it protruded .570 . .120 will really show up to the naked eye of someone how can not tell 6.5mm from 7.7mm .

#16 ·
Some actual facts I gave bullet diameters. You do not load 7.7 with 308 bullets. I thank everyone else understands and for some reason you have to be right or prove you know more. You do what you want but for the average person taking a 30 cal bullet or round and placing it in the muzzle will tell you if its 6.5 (25 cal) or 7.7 (32 cal).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Russo is right, you can easily use this trick to tell which caliber the rifle is. I stuck a 30-06 round in the muzzle of my Type I in 6.5 and my Type 99 in 7.7. Very easy to tell the difference in caliber this way. I’m attaching pictures to prove it.

Attachments

#17 ·
I just told you it would not , and why . You also do not understand bullet diameters . The 6.5mm is NOT a .256 bullet , it is NOT a 25 cal , it is 26 cal . The 7.7mm is NOT a 32 cal , it is 31 cal . It is not knowing more , more than knowing what is correct . Everything you said is incorrect and needs to be corrected .

#20 ·
You did not round off , A .256 bullet is what is used in a 25 cal rifle . A .264 bullet is used in a 6.5mm rifle . A 8mm is a 32 cal and uses a .323 bullet and has a .311 land . If you take a .308 bullet it will drop down a 8mm barrel . That is just incorrect info .

#24 ·
Why do you make things so complicated ? I have a trick I've used before , but not recommended, put a shell in it in it, if it chambers up ,your close . Tie a long string to the trigger, get behind a tree. pull string . if gun blows up , wrong caliber. Are you sure you have a type I ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.