Mosin sniper - real or fake?

Thread: Mosin sniper - real or fake?

Default Mosin sniper - real or fake?

Hi, I bought this from a seemingly trustworthy seller who claims this is a real, arsenal refurb. I believe he would refund me if it was proven to be fake. To me this looks like bubba hacked together a real scope and mount with a sniper grade CH rifle, but I could be completely wrong, I'm not that knowledgeable. The bolt has been welded on, the stock has been cut for the mount with a hacksaw, and the metal was covered with thick BBQ paint while still in the stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200610_102306_1591810397565.jpg  

IMG_20200610_102324_1591810412917.jpg  

IMG_20200610_102341_1591810427198.jpg  

IMG_20200610_102359_1591810486796.jpg  

It looks an awful lot, like a "Classic Zeebill Fake PU", to me.

Where are the import marks, and whose are they?

It could be something else, but it sure looks like an ex-PU that was "restored".

I'm in Canada, no import marks

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I agree with montana bearbait. Definitely is a fake PU or an ill attempt resnipering an ex-PU.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana Bearbait View Post
    It looks an awful lot, like a "Classic Zeebill Fake PU", to me.

Where are the import marks, and whose are they?

It could be something else, but it sure looks like an ex-PU that was "restored".

Looks like a rifle someone has resnipered. Not worth as much as a legit refurb PU but certainly worth more than a repro. That spray paint or whatever they used to coat it is terrible along with that bent bolt job..
    Jack of all milsurps, master of none.

Yep, it's either a resniper or (much less likely) an "accuracy rifle" to which someone added a scope.

Gawdawful bolt conversion, but the scope and mount look to be real, so that's a plus.

I agree it was done by somebody and not an Arsenal.....what does the inside of the receiver look like...the screw holes...I have a Tula and the screw holes go thru but not the recoil pins...I've heard that this is common on Tula's but not Izhevsk. This may not be an absolute as many Soviet practices were rarely that....but would be interested to see it and the scope base sans mount/scope.
    Hard to believe someone would think that bolt 'original' in any capacity.

Scope and mount look real, but as for the rifle, the cuts in the wood never look like that, all the corners should be 90 degrees. And lets not get started on the bolt lol

Just hit that sucker with a "SA" proof and many here will be losing bowel control
    about a "Finned" PU sniper. LOL.. but on a far more serious note, more of this kind
    of rifle to surface as faked PU snipers successfully sell for high money.

trunks: Show a few more photos. Your serial # is only a hundred or so away from my '43 Tula refurb PU. It has a finish on the metal that is quite black looking but it appears to be from some sort of tank-"bluing" process. The refurbs metal finish never looks like the original bluing. If your rifle has been "re-snipered" from a refurbed former Sniper, and if the person doing it was careful, it may be a perfectly good range gun. Being in Canada, I would suggest such a rifle represents somebody's hobby project as opposed to a deliberate fake. Only a few years ago we had quite a glut of refurbed PU's up here and I bought my '43 for a mere $475.00 (US). So, not a lot of motivation to try to build/ sell fakes. I also have a couple of non-refurb PU's but we won't talk about what I payed for those!

Ruprecht

I would buy a real sniper bolt and use it as a shooter. As said, a re-snipered Tula with a funky bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by mike radford View Post
    I would buy a real sniper bolt and use it as a shooter. As said, a re-snipered Tula with a funky bolt.
    Agree....btw...what 'trustworthy seller' would think that bolt anything but a Bubba job? OTOH, there is a difference between trustworthy and knowledgeable so he may have an out....if he'd never seen a MN sniper in his life.