Hand load ?

Thread: Hand load ?

Default Hand load ?

Got problem!.
    If shot column doesn’t come up far enough for good crimp with tss load info, is it ok to add a felt disk in bottom of wad?

Thanks in advance

Ummm, find a slightly longer wad...........??????

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Fish View Post
    Got problem!.
    If shot column doesn’t come up far enough for good crimp with tss load info, is it ok to add a felt disk in bottom of wad?

Thanks in advance
    Wait, do you mean under the shot, not under the whole wad?
    If so, I should think it would be OK.
    I'm currently messing around with full brass shells and change up the felt and card stock wad stack to accommodate different shot loads with no issue.
    Just don't put it under the whole wad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Bob! It will be OK.
    Once again thanks your help is appreciated
    Will do.

If it's a 12ga load and you're using one piece plastic wads, a 20ga paper or card wad commonly used in BP reloading/shooting will drop right in nicely into the 12ga wad and take up space inside the cup. Dump the shot in on top of it.

Some people punch their own wads out of thin styrofoam like a meat packing tray.
    It can all be a bit tedious making wads and assembling them if you are doing a large number. Clay target shooters going out for an afternoon with 200+ rounds is not uncommon.

For something a little easier to do,
    When I have a bit extra room in the case and need some filler to get a good crimp I place a few kernels of Dollar Store Rice Crispys right on top of the shot. You can fill it right to the top of the case if you want to.
    It's light and crunches down when crimped and makes a beautiful crimp on the shell.
    It just blows out the muzzle when fired and the birds love it.
    How Green is that!

Others use stuff like popped-popcorn,,usually one popped kernel will fill and top off the case for you. Crimps nicely just like above.
    Most any cereal will do. Cheerios seem to be popular for this among the shotgunners that shoot light payload rounds and need some filler in the hull.

Stale stuff works fine too, sometimes even better as it's somewhat 'spongy' to handle and doesn't break up when handled.

It can get a bit messy around the loading press with all that filler being handled and dropped into the charged case each time. But it's light weight and dry. It sweeps right up or blows away. It's never jammed up any of my presses and two are Progressives.
    I've used this for reloading for Skeet and SC now for the last 35yrs. Never a problem. 12, 20 & 410

Oh the science of shotshell filler from the kitchen & pantry shelves

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Fish View Post
    Got problem!.

Thanks in advance
    Yes.
    Felt spacer, Nitro Card, Cheerio cereal, overshot card, whatever is light and fragile as needed to make up a small bit of height difference for the crimp to rest on is fine.
    I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.

Sounds like you’re using less shot than the wad is supposed to hold. You can always add a card spacer [under the shot] of some sort to build a lighter load if that is what you’re doing. I like using Claybuster wads, they carry a wide variety of wads.
    ‘Give’em hell, Pike’

Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoreed View Post
    Sounds like you’re using less shot than the wad is supposed to hold. You can always add a card spacer [under the shot] of some sort to build a lighter load if that is what you’re doing. I like using Claybuster wads, they carry a wide variety of wads.
    It IS best, yes indeed, to use the "right capacity" wad.

However, there are people over on SGW that use Cheerios in loads FOR YEARS instead of actually buying The Right Wad.............. Gads.
    I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is hunting season, and I carry a Browning. Stay hungry my friends.

Sometimes we have 10's of thousands of one kind of wad and use it for all kinds of different payloads.
    Mostly lighter loads now that lead has gotten so $$ and we have gotten older.
    A Cheerio or 2 does the trick.

It works fine and saves buying more 'stuff'. I'll probably never use up all the reloading supplies I already have and I still shoot twice a week all year.

Use the kids air soft pellets one or two on top of shot to help make a good crimp.....

Default Recycling.

Before I gave up reloading..
    same type things happened now worse..prices went up..
    I started loading 2 oz of lead..
    moving closer 15 or so feet made clean kills, precise dependable patterns..At no Real loss to Distance, density?
    mixed 5# and 4# shot sizes..once when both bags were needed to use them up and nothing available!( like those rem. Turkey loads..
    Boredom nothing leftover...
    even took old spent primers from every thing I loaded..
    loaded them into a filling line I had, weighed..
    for snake rat loads..like razors ..for one of my single Barrel Iver Johnson..full choke..didn’t matter..
    With full powder or much less closed the patterns, if I remember a k to Clinton’s..
    yes .flying shrapnel/ razors nasty burnt powder resins..”.SNAKKBOB”!
    caution this is not recognized as a recommendation...
    I didn’t do much more got some shot..
    thinking back..I have maybe 12# ivers..set one at each inside door..loaded with this nasty stuff shooting down,
    Spreading the whole path, wall to ceilings...Intruder shredded Open skin?
    not with death wounds !
    !
    shot plywood once splintered shredded, stuck into..not through.
    “Grace+constitutional solvently strength, resistances to Chaos!”

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    Before I gave up reloading..
    same type things happened now worse..prices went up..
    I started loading 2 oz of lead..
    moving closer 15 or so feet made clean kills, precise dependable patterns..At no Real loss to Distance, density?
    mixed 5# and 4# shot sizes..once when both bags were needed to use them up and nothing available!( like those rem. Turkey loads..
    Boredom nothing leftover...
    even took old spent primers from every thing I loaded..
    for snake rat loads..like razors ..for one of my single Barrel Iver Johnson..full choke..didn’t matter..
    With full powder or much less closed the patterns, if I remember a k to Clinton’s..
    yes .flying shrapnel/ razors nasty burnt powder resins..”.SNAKKBOB”!
    caution this is not recognized as a recommendation...
    I didn’t do much more got some shot..
    thinking back..I have maybe 12# ivers..set one at each inside door..loaded with this nasty stuff shooting down,
    Spreading the whole path, wall to ceilings...Intruder shredded Open skin?

not with death wounds !
    !
    shot plywood once splintered shredded, stuck into..not through.
    So,,, deliberate MAIMIMG shells..............

And people think DA's will have a field day prosecuting for my Hornady XTP/HP handgun loads, or a 12ga handload of buckshot.................................

Quote by DKphillips "even took old spent primers from every thing I loaded..
    for snake rat loads..like razors"

Does the old primer anvils made of steel harm the barrel of your gun.? {I would think that they would}

Put a 20 ga fiber wad IN the shot cup.

Quote Originally Posted by packrat1 View Post
    Quote by DKphillips "even took old spent primers from every thing I loaded..
    for snake rat loads..like razors"

Does the old primer anvils made of steel harm the barrel of your gun.? {I would think that they would}
    If it gets to the barrel on the ride down it, YES.

There softer than steel copper..mild ..Never hurts my excellent polished match guns barrels..
    I would not shoot in chrome lines barrels or stainless..l?
    hard steel barrel..ivers are slowly choked chambers out..no scratches ..noted ..Copper colored streaks came out easy..
    lot held in cup?

wink2

Your honor I was just recycling, The primers..
    Democratic's Plans suggest, said to do...
    I let the criminal go freeLy afterwards to hospital..
    to be unshitthreaded!

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    There softer than steel copper..mild ..Never hurts my excellent polished match guns barrels..
    I would not shoot in chrome lines barrels or stainless..l?
    hard steel barrel..ivers are slowly choked chambers out..no scratches ..noted ..Copper colored streaks came out easy..
    lot held in cup?
    You DO realize,, that Chromium lining, is FAR HARDER, and FAR MORE scratch-resistant, than plain Ordinance Steel is,,,,, right???

Chromium is nothing at all like Cadmium plating, except that both begin with a C.

Oh yes...I never suggested shootIng in a nicer gun..
    which could be chromed line..?

its it conveniently a thing to do...
    just out of shot...recycling...nasty!

"Chrome barrel lining" is most assuredly NOT a major indicator of "gun quality", it is, in fact, most common on LESS EXPENSIVE "working guns", because of it's ease in cleaning BUT MAINLY for it's corrosion-resistance.

You basically NEVER find "stainless" barrels on "really nice" shotguns either.
    They, again, are on cheaper "working" guns, again, for corrosion resistance.