This cartridge is whooping my butt...and I dont know why...

Thread: This cartridge is whooping my butt...and I dont know why...

Default This cartridge is whooping my butt...and I dont know why...

Hey all,

I bought a pile of cool 7.62x54r ammo on gunbroker recently for a cartridge board that I'm having a lot of fun putting together. (its cheaper than collecting more rifles) The seller and I set up payment, and chatted on the phone for a little bit - turns out we really got along pretty well and he thought my display board was coming along well. When I opened my package last week, I saw that he had stuck a few extras in with my order! In short I had around 2 dozen cartridges, and I've got all but 1 identified.

I'm kicking myself because I KNOW I have seen this headstamp somewhere, but I cant seem to re-discover it!

The closest I can think is that its the #61 factory in China, but those particular headstamps have numbers with curves, (I'm speaking specifically about the " 7 " here) while this one is pretty much block lettering.

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartridge.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	3669233

The slug is magnetic btw
    Last edited by PeanutCooker; 06-12-2020 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to add that thebullet is magnetic

I did a Google search and found a picture/post from a different site from a few years back. The headstamp was identical to yours, and was identified as Chinese light ball, factory 61 from 1979. Not too much else was said, maybe a variation of the regular headstamp? I didn't save the picture, since it wasn't mine, but searching "7.62x54r headstamp 61 79" got me to the pictures. Hope this helps.

Did you go here by chance?
    Plato:
    “Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool”

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Not sure where anyone went (no link), but it is PR China.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Well, the link was to the 7.62x54R cartridge section. Either I goofed and did not paste it or the forum gremlins ate it again. Anyhow it appears to be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    Not sure where anyone went (no link), but it is PR China.
    Plato:
    “Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school. And the person that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool”