Eddystone M1917 from CMP North Store

Thread: Eddystone M1917 from CMP North Store

Default Eddystone M1917 from CMP North Store

Hi all!
    I picked up this Eddystone M1917 this morning. It was a service grade. Great bore and stock. $749 otd. Serial number is 156822 and the barrel is 11-17 so I am thinking original.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated! I am not sure if she is rebuilt? All parts I can see are Eddystone, including the stock (which is beautiful and still has cartouches). I can't find any markings on the trigger guard. The receiver looks like it could have been bead blasted and parked? I also can't tell if the finish is bluing or parkerizing.

https://imgur.com/a/EwIzYpV

I think this will complement my earlier Winchester M1917 nicely! Now to pick up a Remington some day...

Thanks all!

If the stock has cartouches (I didn't see any photos of them) that's a sign it went through a refurbishment process at some point. Doesn't necessarily mean it would have been rebuilt.

With a 1917 barrel date, it would have stayed stateside, and not been sent to France.

Thanks! Yes it has the wwi eagle on the underside and a "9k" cartouche near the rear trigger guard screw head.

A little bummed though...I should have brushed up again on dates to look for. I was hoping for one with a high chance of being sent overseas since I already have a Winchester that in all likelihood stayed stateside. Oh well! I will just have to pick a good Remington some day I guess! Haha. At least this one is in very nice shape and should make a good shooter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=With a 1917 barrel date, it would have stayed stateside, and not been sent to France.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say a rifle with a barrel dated 1917 would have remained stateside?

Only applied to Winchesters with 1917 barrel dates.

Quote Originally Posted by andyman View Post
    Thanks! Yes it has the wwi eagle on the underside and a "9k" cartouche near the rear trigger guard screw head.
    Those aren't the type cartouches I was referring to. They would be on the stock flat, on the opposite side from the bolt handle.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya74 View Post
    Why do you say a rifle with a barrel dated 1917 would have remained stateside?
    An adequate degree of interchangeability between all three manufacturers was determined to have existed covering all production since January 1,1918. The only way to determine the date of manufacture was the barrel date. Rifles with barrel dates prior to 1-18 were not eligible for issue in France

Quote Originally Posted by tenthfla View Post
    Only applied to Winchesters with 1917 barrel dates.
    It applied to all manufacturers. No 1917 rifles were approved for service in France until March, 1918. Satisfactory interchangeability between manufacturers was recognized to exist at that time, for all production since 1/1/1918. All rifles made since that date were approved for service in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungles View Post
    It applied to all manufacturers. No 1917 rifles were approved for service in France until March, 1918. Satisfactory interchangeability between manufacturers was recognized to exist at that time, for all production since 1/1/1918. All rifles made since that date were approved for service in France.

What you say is true - until it wasn't true anymore. The policy you describe changed at least as early as June 29, 1918, and was retroactive. Keyword: retroactive. Are you saying you have evidence that 1917 barrel dated rifles continued to be restricted beyond late June - either by policy or practice?

As an aside: the best I can tell, looking at embarkation dates of divisions, no M1917s of any date arrived in France before May anyway, making part of the question moot.

I would have snapped it up in a
    heart beat Decent 1917s have gone into the high grass. I remember when they were very much under appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Jungles View Post

Still waiting.

Thanks guys!! Is there a primary source anywhere of these decrees that were made? It is all very interesting to me-would love to learn more.

I love this rifle so far. Also, I am on the lookout for a Remington 1917 made between January and May of 1918. Let me know if you got something that would help me round out my collection!

Quote Originally Posted by andyman View Post
    Thanks guys!! Is there a primary source anywhere of these decrees that were made? It is all very interesting to me-would love to learn more.

I love this rifle so far. Also, I am on the lookout for a Remington 1917 made between January and May of 1918. Let me know if you got something that would help me round out my collection!
    A few Primary documents in this thread.......

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...went-to-France

Quote Originally Posted by fernleaf View Post
    A few Primary documents in this thread.......

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...went-to-France
    That is precisely what I was looking for. Thanks! Also, I just ordered the Ferris book on the Model of 1917. Excited to learn more!

Looks great to me. There were many nice rifles there last weekend. A Rock Island with correct barrel and finger groove stock followed me home.

Quote Originally Posted by damorealan696 View Post
    I would have snapped it up in a
    heart beat Decent 1917s have gone into the high grass. I remember when they were very much under appreciated
    Any idea what an Exc 1917 Winchester (ser # is in the 42,000 range)with all orig Win parts and correct Winchester 1917 bayonet goes for now...???
    Free men own guns- Slaves don't
    RIP- my dear dog Jake- 1998-3/11/2011 (pictured in Avatar)
    RIP- my dear dog Bosco- 12/30/2007-08/22/2019
    Welcome my new dog- Diesel 08/27/2016-
    Molon Labe....