What so special about this Chinese Mauser?

Thread: What so special about this Chinese Mauser?

Default What so special about this Chinese Mauser?

A Chinese Zongzheng Shi rifle, Chiang Kai-Shek rifle has been auctioned off for a little over $600 before shipping. Since the auction has ended, I can post the link, right?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/868851162
    Is this particular rifle anything special that I didn't see? Is that because the combination of the arsenal and year of manufacturing?

Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Well......it does have a import mark. LOL!

I'm guessing because it is mostly matching?!? Still seems on the high side.
    Last edited by Spartan301; 06-12-2020 at 10:19 PM.
    U.S. Army/SGT/67N (Aviation/1st CAV DIV, FT. HOOD/2nd INF DIV, S. KOREA/NTC FLT DET, FT. IRWIN) Veteran '81-'86
    NRA Lifetime Member
    AZCDL Member
    Front Sight FTI First Family "Ambassador" Member
    1911 Snob, Lol!
    C&R Milsurplus Bolt Action and Bayonet nut!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

$600 for such a condition rifle with wrong stock and very worn rifling, didn't see any trace of rifling from the muzzle photo...too expensive for a wall hanger or strip for parts. Is Chinese themed market so hot now? Broomhandles, "CH" series Inglis Hi Power are all beyond $1000 now.

It does have a nice crest.

These were $20 when i bothered to even look at one. Still a $20 rifle and not worth a look. Sheesh! The grey blanket must impart some sort of powerful narcotic/hallucinogenic.

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon

Wrong stock and wrong bolt on that rifle. A bidding war from $350 to $605 between two clueless newbies, both of whom have a record of 3 Gunbroker purchases, Kuluo119 A+(3)
    and sf22ster A+(3).
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

All my Mausers (half of my collection) are here (Index is in post #1):
    https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?144316-Mausers-Only-Mausers

Quote Originally Posted by geladen View Post
    Wrong stock and wrong bolt on that rifle. A bidding war from $350 to $605 between two clueless newbies, both of whom have a record of 3 Gunbroker purchases, Kuluo119 A+(3)
    and sf22ster A+(3).
    Seems like the same K***9 A+(3) won this Hanyang rifle for $806?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/871064302

Quote Originally Posted by HenryLeverBoy View Post
    Seems like the same K***9 A+(3) won this Hanyang rifle for $806?
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/871064302
    The only explanation that makes sense is that the bidders have deep pockets and empty brains. Some people have so much money that they have little understanding of and appreciation for concepts of value. They are playing with what they treat like Monopoly money that the rest of us consider real.

The one thing that money seems unable to buy is good taste. At least that’s what those of us who don’t have unlimited funds tell ourselves. Which brings up an interesting question: would you rather be a wealthy rube or your wise and enlightened regular guy self?
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    The only explanation that makes sense is that the bidders have deep pockets and empty brains. Some people have so much money that they have little understanding of and appreciation for concepts of value. They are playing with what they treat like Monopoly money that the rest of us consider real.

The one thing that money seems unable to buy is good taste. At least that’s what those of us who don’t have unlimited funds tell ourselves. Which brings up an interesting question: would you rather be a wealthy rube or your wise and enlightened regular guy self?
    If that rifle is an example of what the wealthy rubes end up with, I would rather be my poor enlightened regular guy self.

Instead of looking at the rifle, you also need to look at the seller.

sreisel can always get higher than normal prices on most of the rifles he sells.

Quote Originally Posted by MuppetDestroyer View Post

sreisel can always get higher than normal prices on most of the rifles he sells.
    That's nonsense. There's no magic to it. Try it yourself. All it takes is brass and a strong resistance to nausea, something that turkey buzzards learned eons ago.

M

With so many sales and positives, negatives are overwhelmed. I question the authenticity of many of the positives anf never even look/bid at any of his listings

In my parts Chinese items are in hot demand by Chinese people. They want these items that I guess provide a connection for them. No other non-chines will touch it.

I just recently sold a Chinese rifle for a friend (dont remember what it was). Beat to crap, counterbored, cracked stock, mis-matched. Consensus was, that it wasn't worth anything really. Buddy paid a $100, wanted to eke out $250-300. I told him i can get him more than that. 3 guys (all Chinese) contacted me. One low balled and 2 offered in the $750 range. University student got it. Smile from ear to ear. The low baller was pissed, saying why didn't I counter, he would have gladly paid anything for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MuppetDestroyer View Post

That's nonsense. There's no magic to it. Try it yourself. All it takes is brass and a strong resistance to nausea, something that turkey buzzards learned eons ago.

M
    A couple years ago, I sold a Spanish Model 1891 carbine. As it so happens, sreisel had one listed at the same time. Mine was in better condition and all matching. His was mismatched. His went for 50% more than mine. Same guy won both carbines. In the last hour of the auction, one of sreisel’s frequent bidders (but not frequent winners) came in and bid the eventual winner of the auction up. That got me to looking at a lot of his auctions and the same small group of bidders commonly come in at the end and bid his items up, but seldom win.

Interestingly, sreisel often bids in their auctions, too.

There are a variety of reasons the gray blanket has magic to it. One is a huge following after doing it a long time. Another seems to be less innocent.

Greyblanket shill bids. End of story.

Sorry HenryLeverBoy, due to no fault of your own, the thread has gone foolishly off-topic so it is closed.