US 82nd airborne

Thread: US 82nd airborne

Default US 82nd airborne

Had the pleasure of picking up an entire bringback lot from a veteran. Here are a few things from the lot, very interested to learn more about the 82nd!!! Guy said he walked for 25 miles at one point just to link back up with his unit. All the maps i have show all the places he fought. I will post a map of france.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200601_140048.jpg  

20200613_130136_HDR.jpg  

20200601_133004.jpg  

20200601_132957.jpg  

Very nice!

I will be picking up more maps and notes etc. The boots are just great

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Very nice, I have a jump jacket my Uncle gave me from his best friend who was in the 82nd and made the jumps in the ETO.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Bet those boots are Corcorans, much prized then and in my time on AD fifty years ago, still well thought of as a considerable improvement on US Army issue or other brands. I had a pair I bought when I was a Cadet in 1961, and wore until I was no longer on active duty 16 years later. Disappeared in a move (when you hear "three moves equal a fire", believe it).
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

They are corcoran. Sounds like they had been a hot item back then and now

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtruppe303 View Post
    They are corcoran. Sounds like they had been a hot item back then and now
    Were hard to find then. Easier now, just takes a moderate amount of money (apparently around $180, real world suppliers). Won't get asked the sort of questions in a fashion that could lead to a bit fight as was known to occur during the war, especially if you encountered somebody from the 82nd or One Oh Worst.

Clyde thanks for the reply,These things are built very nicely, very solid ! Why would these guys get into fights ?

Quote Originally Posted by sturmtruppe303 View Post
    Clyde thanks for the reply,These things are built very nicely, very solid ! Why would these guys get into fights ?
    The paratroopers were the only people (in their minds) who ought to be wearing real jump-boots. Pride thing - I and my buddies had to EARN these and it was hard; other people didn't. See somebody wearing a pair who wasn't also sporting jump wings and an 82nd or 101st patch, and words could pass and fight happen. Or so various accounts from then suggest (Bill Mauldin, who sported a pair courtesy of some paratroopers, mentions the matter in UP FRONT! - I think UP FRONT!).

It isn't about Corcoran jump boots, but the attitude is captured in Barry Sadler's song GARRITROOPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    The paratroopers were the only people (in their minds) who ought to be wearing real jump-boots. Pride thing - I and my buddies had to EARN these and it was hard; other people didn't. See somebody wearing a pair who wasn't also sporting jump wings and an 82nd or 101st patch, and words could pass and fight happen. Or so various accounts from then suggest (Bill Mauldin, who sported a pair courtesy of some paratroopers, mentions the matter in UP FRONT! - I think UP FRONT!).

It isn't about Corcoran jump boots, but the attitude is captured in Barry Sadler's song GARRITROOPER.

5 Jump Chump... seeing how I had a hell of a time getting away from Bragg... I wonder who they knew at DA
    ALSO Jump Boots are private purchase, Army doesn't pay jack, and it's mandatory, well, if you showed up without, Top would nicely send you to S1 for a pay advance. They're mostly for parades and such, only knew a few who'd actually wear them daily, only one who wore them in the field. Current issue boots are like tennis shoes compared to my 'leg' boots issued in basic.
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

I was in the 505th from 98-01, and even then Corcoran jump boots (in black, though) were de rigeur on paydays. I’m curious to find out whether the move back to pinks and greens are leading back to brown boots...

Everyone in the Division had to buy their own pair, which I’d imagine gives Corcoran a great many assured sales each year.

I was working the Infantry Conference at Bldg 4, on Fort Benning, the year Corcoran brought out their exact reproduction of the brown WWII jump boot. Students at the Infantry Center, look at the displays between classes and at lunch time. Other times it is vendors talking to other vendors. I walk over to the Corcoran booth and am talking to their representative. They are very proud of the reproduction of the WWII boot. I ask him if it is a "exact reproduction" why does it have the conventional vertically cut heel, instead of the paratrooper angled cut heel? The representative spins around and sure enough the display boot has the wrong heel. I came by on the next break, and they had found a pair of boots with the right style heel. John

I am sure under the long established tradition of Nothing Is Too Good For The Troops, and That Is Exactly What They Get, the added expense of purchasing brown Corcoran boots will be suffered along with the new mandatory Pinks & Greens (called new Army Greens for some obtuse reason) Class A Uniform. In an era when the troops need a new battle rifle , what do they get....a new Class A uniform that batters their wallet needlessly.

Today, Army and Marines have outstanding boots but truthfully from WWII to 1990's nothing much changed. We had boots not much better (if at all)) than issued in 1940. The Corcoran jump boots was a huge improvement in WWII but in truth, an adequate boot at best in dry weather. The only advancement in boots after WWII was the Vietnam jungle boot which were ideal for conditions of SE Asia. We wore them all the time in the 70's thru 2000 in Special Forces. Dig out the pungi stake metal plate out of them and they became as comfortable as New Balance running shoes.

, especially if you encountered somebody from the 82nd or One Oh Worst.
    Never ever heard 101st referred to in this manner during my 30 yrs active service, had tour in 82nd, two tours in 101st and rest in SF. 101st and 82nd have distinct cultures. Neither unit has ever been found wanting in combat..ever.

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Never ever heard 101st referred to in this manner during my 30 yrs active service, had tour in 82nd, two tours in 101st and rest in SF. 101st and 82nd have distinct cultures. Neither unit has ever been found wanting in combat..ever.
    Don't disagree with your evaluation of the two Airborne Divisions. Truly, still and always, elite units that can and will get it done. With panache That said, heard the 101st called "One Oh Worst" more than once. usually by a straight-leg (and once by a guy with an AA patch) looking for a fight - and generally finding it. Surprised you never did, but there you are.

Don't disagree with your evaluation of the two Airborne Divisions. Truly, still and always, elite units that can and will get it done. With panache That said, heard the 101st called "One Oh Worst" more than once. usually by a straight-leg (and once by a guy with an AA patch) looking for a fight - and generally finding it. Surprised you never did, but there you are.
    Puking chicken... screaming... etc.
    Then again, 82nd has the world's fittest drunks, so proud they put it on their shoulder...
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

As a guy who just got out of the 82nd this year, can confirm. 101 v 82 is alive and well. it's actually a lot worse now between the units than it was in recent times, since the 101 is no longer an airborne unit on jump status for those that weren't aware.
    So, if you just got assigned to the 101 in the past few years, never jumped, don't have your wings, and haven't deployed yet, you haven't earned the right to tout your patch around some real paratroopers because you might as previously stated find yourself a fight, from what i understand from a buddy in basic that went there, the old school 101 guys with wings feel the same way towards their new soldiers.
    More commonly ridiculed however are the personnel assigned to bragg that aren't airborne. Imagine being one of the only legs in a unit of 17k+ paras. Sucks to suck.
    Can also confirm it is still the same way with the boots, only really used for parades/payday activities, CoC ceremonies, and the like. All troopers must buy their own jump boots, something that was revealed to me in the form a smoke sesh when i first arrived to the unit, and unless you buy them secondhand they are 100$+ then of course they have to be stripped, shined, and pretty for inspection. We'd typically use them for payday activities and try to essentially duck walk as to not create scuffs, and creases. Then we'd wrap them up in a plastic wal mart bag or the like until next time so they'd stay inspection status on the cheap. Joe gets crafty when trying to save a few bucks here and there. lol
    -STR

Guys i am enjoying this thread. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot The Refurbs View Post
    As a guy who just got out of the 82nd this year, can confirm. 101 v 82 is alive and well. it's actually a lot worse now between the units than it was in recent times, since the 101 is no longer an airborne unit on jump status for those that weren't aware.
    So, if you just got assigned to the 101 in the past few years, never jumped, don't have your wings, and haven't deployed yet, you haven't earned the right to tout your patch around some real paratroopers because you might as previously stated find yourself a fight, from what i understand from a buddy in basic that went there, the old school 101 guys with wings feel the same way towards their new soldiers.
    More commonly ridiculed however are the personnel assigned to bragg that aren't airborne. Imagine being one of the only legs in a unit of 17k+ paras. Sucks to suck.
    Can also confirm it is still the same way with the boots, only really used for parades/payday activities, CoC ceremonies, and the like. All troopers must buy their own jump boots, something that was revealed to me in the form a smoke sesh when i first arrived to the unit, and unless you buy them secondhand they are 100$+ then of course they have to be stripped, shined, and pretty for inspection. We'd typically use them for payday activities and try to essentially duck walk as to not create scuffs, and creases. Then we'd wrap them up in a plastic wal mart bag or the like until next time so they'd stay inspection status on the cheap. Joe gets crafty when trying to save a few bucks here and there. lol
    -STR
    GI-issue combat boots when I was in had switched to a style without the capped toes. Actually a good, durable and if properly sized comfortable boot. First encounter was ROTC summer camp in 1964, and found them not bad. Preferred my Corcorans, though.

Had a pair of low quarters I bought at Holick's (also, then, the sole "Authorized" maker & seller of Senior boots, if you could afford a new pair), no recollection of maker, but touted as "Genuine Shell Cordovan" and "Navy Last". Fit RIGHT, took a shine like a quality mirror, and wore well. Finally gave up while I was at Fort Hood over a decade later. If I knew where to get another pair, I would, I think.

Co P, 2nd Training Regiment, Ft Dix, NJ, Feb 1961 being issued our gear and I get a pair of brown boots, the ones with the toe cap but a vertical heel. I am the only one who gets a pair of brown boots, something to do with the size, but I am also given a bottle of Kiwi black shoe dye and told to get them dyed ASAP. My good friend, now gone CSM Dick Noble, was in the 101st Airborne, when they switched from brown to black Corcorans. It was not a popular move, so the troops resisted. Dick told me his brand new Lieutenant stopped him and asked why his boots were still brown? Dick insisted they were black. After spit shinning them brown, he would put one coat of black polish on, not enough to change the color, but when he bent over and ran his finger across the boot, then stood up to show the Lieutenant, his finger would have black polish on it, proving he had changed the color. John

Side bar: 82nd nonsense we lived

In my day in 1/504 / 82nd ABN DIV, you stood formation at 0630 for Physical Training in fresh starched fatiques and spit shinned jump boots. Ran up and down Ardennes Street singing Jody Calls. That was in the winter, then in April to October , you reported in for PT formation in freshly starched fatique trousers, spit shinned boots and wearing the Company T Shirt (mandatory purchase out of your pocket). The love here got better, if it was the Friday 1/504 Battalion Run, you had to wear the 1/504 Devils In Baggy Pants T shirt (you got it..pay for that T Shirt out of your pocket. Big Joy was once a month 1st Brigade Run which saw us all wearing the 1st Brigade T Shirt which was another good deal you had to buy.

It did not take long till some Commander changed command, new T shirt was invented and we had to buy that. Another good deal.

82nd Pay Day: You got paid in cash , then progressed down the line of NCO's breaking your nuts to buy a savings bond , membership in Airborne Association, contribute to United Fund, contribute to Army Relief Fund, buy current unit T shirt which later in winter became a sweat shirt. Yeah...company sweat shirt spawned battalion sweat shirt and brigade sweatshirt. Payday was an ambush on your pay and every unit "had to have 100% contributions" as officer report cards rested on making this happen.

I am sure under the long established tradition of Nothing Is Too Good For The Troops, and That Is Exactly What They Get, the added expense of purchasing brown Corcoran boots will be suffered along with the new mandatory Pinks & Greens (called new Army Greens for some obtuse reason) Class A Uniform. In an era when the troops need a new battle rifle , what do they get....a new Class A uniform that batters their wallet needlessly.

Today, Army and Marines have outstanding boots but truthfully from WWII to 1990's nothing much changed. We had boots not much better (if at all)) than issued in 1940. The Corcoran jump boots was a huge improvement in WWII but in truth, an adequate boot at best in dry weather. The only advancement in boots after WWII was the Vietnam jungle boot which were ideal for conditions of SE Asia. We wore them all the time in the 70's thru 2000 in Special Forces. Dig out the pungi stake metal plate out of them and they became as comfortable as New Balance running shoes.
    Well, certainly agree about the need for a new battle rifle, which the troops probably won't get (even via private purchase), but unless things have changed a new, mandatory, uniform item will either be issued or a uniform allowance for purchase will show up. Actually, even officers (who get a "once in a lifetime", sort of theoretically, uniform allowance) get some money help for a new mandatory uniform. Will even pay for it if you go to QM sales store...

PS - hope they do replace the black shoes with the brown ones from the WWII era. That uniform looks better with brown shoes (and so does khaki or Suntan - maybe Suntans will come back for summer wear).

WW II Troops were issued short boots and leggings. Not much ankle support, hence the jump boot. Became a status symbol. Paratroopers considered themselves the elite. Naturally, we had to inform them that the only two things that fell from the sky were fools and bird s**t, and that they were always 3 rounds short of being overrun when a mechanized unit showed up to pull their fat out of the fire. All in good fun. Never saw anyone get into a fight over it. Besides, when tracers are going over your head, it doesn't much matter what kind of patch the guy in the next hole is wearing.

Pretty common for young NCOs to buy a pair of jump boots (or Ft. Lewis boots, if you had a rich uncle), back in my day. Shiny jump boots and starched cotton fatigues were just the thing for impressing FNGs. Mine were hand-made in Korea, with an extra thick toe cap. Damn, they were pretty! Older NCOs were usually fine with issue boots and E-8 blouses. A lot more comfortable, and they weren't out to impress anybody.

I always thought that the M16A2 was a fine battle rifle (and yes, the A1 sucked). Could be improved, but not much out there that works better. I think that the M4 is a step down (not even a battle rifle any more). Even the 62 gr is too light of a projectile, and when you cripple it with a 14 in. barrel, it is certainly not going wow you.

Guys thanks for all the replies and such. I am currently working on getting the rest of the bringback items in this lot. There are alot of photos , daggers, guns, letters maps etc. I will update soon

Wishing I was in Texas & still trying to get back there...

I got my Corcoran's at a boot shop just outside Reilly Road gate; used - they had been sitting unclaimed and were a bargain. A GI has to spend nickels wisely. I had 'em re-soled with Vibrams cuz the aggressive tread looks cool. Did similar with all my jungle boots; took out the plate and put sawtooth treds on em for better cushion and up/down hill traction. Still keep my Jump boots wrapped in the closet just like in the B's. Gonna be buried with 'em.
    I miss some of the camaraderie of unit shuffle runs and cadence but not the slow as molasses pace. The whole area around Smoke Bomb hill/Ardennes/Zabitowsky is all tore up with renovations/new construction. It's gonna look sharp when complete, even the new JFK SOF museum.
    I don't miss some of the Bad 'Ole Days of barracks life and the pay day gauntlet was one of them. Fortunately, the BOSS initiatives solved most of those shenanigans associated with the financial snares. Past 200m, the M4 has lost alot of thump. Witness the resurgence of 762NATO and the 'new' 6mm caliber. 101st (and all its nicknames) shoulda been re-badged to 'Air Assault'; that it wasn't was due to historical lineage issues so that's understandable but still a bit silly if the division is not actually "Airborne". But that's Uncle Sam Logic so go figure. I got some of the same crud when briefly posted to 18th ABN Corps and if someone noticed the patch with ABN tab above the dragon...inevitably led to, 'where's your jump wings?' Argh. 3 hot weeks at Benning solved that.
    Last edited by Shooter5; 06-24-2020 at 12:28 AM.

Side bar: 82nd nonsense we lived

In my day in 1/504 / 82nd ABN DIV, you stood formation at 0630 for Physical Training in fresh starched fatiques and spit shinned jump boots. Ran up and down Ardennes Street singing Jody Calls. That was in the winter, then in April to October , you reported in for PT formation in freshly starched fatique trousers, spit shinned boots and wearing the Company T Shirt (mandatory purchase out of your pocket). The love here got better, if it was the Friday 1/504 Battalion Run, you had to wear the 1/504 Devils In Baggy Pants T shirt (you got it..pay for that T Shirt out of your pocket. Big Joy was once a month 1st Brigade Run which saw us all wearing the 1st Brigade T Shirt which was another good deal you had to buy.

It did not take long till some Commander changed command, new T shirt was invented and we had to buy that. Another good deal.

82nd Pay Day: You got paid in cash , then progressed down the line of NCO's breaking your nuts to buy a savings bond , membership in Airborne Association, contribute to United Fund, contribute to Army Relief Fund, buy current unit T shirt which later in winter became a sweat shirt. Yeah...company sweat shirt spawned battalion sweat shirt and brigade sweatshirt. Payday was an ambush on your pay and every unit "had to have 100% contributions" as officer report cards rested on making this happen.

Ground your blouses.....(in formation properly folded in front of your right foot.)...and you ran your PT test in combat boots.