Value of 43 long branch No4 that was FTR 73

Thread: Value of 43 long branch No4 that was FTR 73

Default Value of 43 long branch No4 that was FTR 73

Saw one earlier today and although i have one already, i'm tempted. Light wood, black paint on metal like proper FTR rifles. Faint x on the barrel where it meets the receiver, so I'm assuming it was marked for rust sometime. Overall good condition thou.

What's a fair price?

depends,

where are you?

FTR'ed No 4 in like new (ish) FTR condition in the mid atlantic would be $6-700+
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    depends,

where are you?

FTR'ed No 4 in like new (ish) FTR condition in the mid atlantic would be $6-700+
    PNW and this one was $400

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I would have bought it in a second, providing condition was as described,

Quote Originally Posted by waw44 View Post
    Saw one earlier today and although i have one already, i'm tempted. Light wood, black paint on metal like proper FTR rifles. Faint x on the barrel where it meets the receiver, so I'm assuming it was marked for rust sometime. Overall good condition thou.

What's a fair price?
    Sounds Indian.
    Some people would be turned off by that.
    For $400 I'd go for it!!!!
    "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."
    - Jebediah Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterDog View Post
    Sounds Indian.
    Some people would be turned off by that.
    For $400 I'd go for it!!!!
    Indian? 43 Long Branch No4, with a 73 FTR stamp? They went to India? I thought India used No1 pattern rifles , then went to the 2A1.

Indian? 43 Long Branch No4, with a 73 FTR stamp? They went to India? I thought India used No1 pattern rifles , then went to the 2A1.
    Not suggesting your rifle is one, but :

The BSA No4 manufacturing machinery was sold to pakistan in 1955 and Pakistan started production of No4s. They had previously been supplied wirh No4's by the UK (so would have had a variety of manufacturers No4's)

The Border wars between Pakistan & India in 1945 and 'the mid 60's' meant that many captured No4 rifles ended up in India and were refurbished by Ishapore, and although Ishapore manufactured No1 Mk3 and 2A's they did a good job of FRing No4's.

Just for information - Ishapore actually manufactured both No1 Mk3 and 2A / 2A1's concurrently, and in fact when 2A / 2A1 production ceased, they were still manufacturing No1 Mk3 late into the '80s.
    They are still manufacturing a version of the No1 Mk3 today in calibre .315 for Civilian Sporting use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1987 Ishapore.jpg  

When I'm gone, tell my wife to sell my 'toys' for what they are worth, NOT what I said I paid for them.

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever".

Pictures!
    - Jebediah Springfield

I think the pricing Waw44 suggested is a bit low (or should I say, simply slightly out of date). I see really nice No.4 Mk2's that are still pristine, but out of the wrap going for $850. right now. No end in sight.

Pictures. I'm having it held for me, but I'm still on the fence. What am I looking at here? Same question as before, what's a fair value? I have a 43 Long Branch already, so this is a nice to have if I pick it up and may use it toward a trade for a WZ.29 I am looking for.

Edit : I now understand that it's not a 73 FTR, but rather a conversion to /3 rifle while it went through FTR.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Receiver1.JPG  

Left1.JPG  

Left2.JPG  

Left3.JPG  

Last edited by waw44; 06-14-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Pictures. I'm having it held for me, but I'm still on the fence. What am I looking at here?
    A picture speaks 1000 words.

Looks Ok to me. No sign of any Indian work.
    FTR was done by RoF Fazakerley (Liverpool England)

Upgraded to a No4 Mk1/3 with the body hung trigger in 1951 (NOT 1973 - the 1/3 is part of the model Number)

I have a Savage which had the same work done by Fazakerley in 1952
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200504_081315 (3).jpg  

When I'm gone, tell my wife to sell my 'toys' for what they are worth, NOT what I said I paid for them.

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever".

I'm seeing wood that looks like it was stripped using Oven Off and refinished. Oven cleaner leaves that greenish ting. It also destroys fiber of the wood.

I thought it was a typical Fazakerley beech stock used in FTR process from 49 on. No?

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    I'm seeing wood that looks like it was stripped using Oven Off and refinished. Oven cleaner leaves that greenish ting. It also destroys fiber of the wood.
    doubt it,

I think it is just the lighting and camera, picking up the backdrop/countertop

still a good buy at $400

Picked her up, what the hell, why not.

Nice pick for 4 bills I'd say.

Here she is with my Long Branch 1943 No4 Mk1*

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no4s.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	3671595

Score!
    Fazakerly FTRd to a Mk1/3 in 1951.
    Legit.
    - Jebediah Springfield

400 is about what Enfields sell for around here in the PNW. Too many years of them drifting down from Canada.

Even at 400, most go for the 350 dollar range.
    "Is there something up your butt? 'Cause that's dirty and now I gotta touch it."

"By now the fighting will be close at hand. There's a gun and ammunition, tucked in by the doorway, use it only in emergency". Looks like those days have arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    400 is about what Enfields sell for around here in the PNW. Too many years of them drifting down from Canada.

Even at 400, most go for the 350 dollar range.
    If I can find a good condition British or Australian No1 in that price range, I would be very happy.