Papered Bringback Femaru 37M

Thread: Papered Bringback Femaru 37M

Default Papered Bringback Femaru 37M

Picked this up yesterday at a show in Gettysburg, PA. Apparently it recently came out of an estate. I've never dealt with Femaru's much (as my earlier thread showed
    ), so it was more of an impluse buy.

Seller had a decent Mannlicher M.88/90 that I missed out on because some guy bought it right after I put it down to look at the Femaru. Same guy walked over and wanted to buy the Femaru but I snagged it first. Kicking myself over the M.88/90 but I don't think I did bad.

I probably paid a tad too much at $899, but I hardly ever see these, especially with the original holster and bringback paperwork.

Finish is a tad bit worn (looks better in person than in the pictures). Holster and paperwork are in pretty good shape too. Field stripped it and cleaned out a tiny bit of grime but other than that it's spotless.

Paperwork looks like it has two names on it. One is a "PFC Charlie C. Phillips" which was crossed out and another PFC's name written above it. I can't really make out what the name says though. Paperwork looks to be signed by Captain Robert L. Plank Jr. of what might be the "199th F. FL Bn.". Somebody else might be able to make out the letters better than me though.

Let me know what you guys think!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails qubXNdX.jpg  

gRo6wTE.jpg  

IMG_0840.jpg  

IMG_0842.jpg  

IMG_0850.jpg  

IMG_0858.jpg  

IMG_0863.jpg  

IMG_0862.jpg  

Outstanding. It’s not too uncommon to see 2 names on papers, I have a Beretta with a “bill of sale” between two soldiers written on the back of the paper. I have seen ones like yours, with names crossed out.

To me it looks like the Captain was from the 199th Field Artillery Battalion. The Fl also looks like a blocky capital A.

This may be the signing authority, CPT Plunk

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...obert-l_-plunk

Quote Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
    Outstanding. It’s not too uncommon to see 2 names on papers, I have a Beretta with a “bill of sale” between two soldiers written on the back of the paper. I have seen ones like yours, with names crossed out.

To me it looks like the Captain was from the 199th Field Artillery Battalion. The Fl also looks like a blocky capital A.

This may be the signing authority, CPT Plunk

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...obert-l_-plunk
    Awesome! Looks like this is the fella who’s name is on top. Ircel L Jellison. Sadly he passed away in 2001.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...cel-l-jellison

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations on a great find and purchase. I'm glad you didn't have this one snatched away because it's a gem.

Btw, I just posted a few photos of my Royal Hungarian Army Model 37M and of some Royal Hungarian Army troops carrying and shooting 37M's on your earlier thread that you may want to look at. (Also, some info on the difference between the Hungarian Army contract and German Army contract pistols that you may be interested in reading since you mention you're new to the Femaru 37M.)
    Last edited by Quiet 1; 06-14-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - Hunter S. Thompson -

Happy the man and happy he alone, He who can call today his own. He who secure within can say, Tomorrow, do thy worst for I have lived today
    - John Dryden -

One Life, Live It.

Did it come with any extra mags by chance?

Any papered bring back rigs are selling in the range you paid or more. I think you did well.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Ben Uzi View Post
    Did it come with any extra mags by chance?

Any papered bring back rigs are selling in the range you paid or more. I think you did well.

Dave
    It did not unfortunately. Only came with one magazine

Congrats that a nice one. I really like the holster too. I sent you a PM about my Facebook group on bringbacks.

That was a nice find. Is that a comercial/police proofed gun? It kind of looks like it. I have one like it in the 91,5xx range serial. Holster is definitely worth something as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric213 View Post
    That was a nice find. Is that a comercial/police proofed gun? It kind of looks like it. I have one like it in the 91,5xx range serial. Holster is definitely worth something as well.
    I’m not exactly sure. It’s got the Saint Stephen’s crown on the trigger guard. I wasn’t exactly sure if they only used that on commercial guns, or if they appeared on earlier production pistols.

Nice catch and nice rig!

Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do with the capture papers? I was thinking about getting it laminated, but I don’t know if that would mess it up or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MilsurpDan View Post
    Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do with the capture papers? I was thinking about getting it laminated, but I don’t know if that would mess it up or not.
    Please do not laminate it. Preservation of paperwork is another realm of its own. I keep mine in acid free document sleeves in a binder. Keep the paper safe and store it in a place where it will not be handled much such as a sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by 81turbota View Post
    Please do not laminate it. Preservation of paperwork is another realm of its own. I keep mine in acid free document sleeves in a binder. Keep the paper safe and store it in a place where it will not be handled much such as a sleeve.
    This, please DO NOT laminate, that will ruin it.

Best way to store historical documents is in acid free document sleeves, away from sunlight, in a place with a stable reasonable temperature and controlled humidity (paper can and will get moldy under humid conditions)

Also, don't handle it without wearing gloves, even standard cotton gloves will prevent oils, dirt, etc, from your fingers from getting onto the paper.

Very nice pistol btw, congrats!

As others have said definitely an acid free doc sleeve, or if you plan to display it with the gun you could do a small “floating” frame. Any decent framing shop can put together a floating frame with two pieces of museum/archival grade glass for you.

very nice Femaru. You do not see the Hungarian military issued guns as much as the German ones. They don't command the same price as the German ones but I think you still did well, considering the holster. Thanks for posting.
    Sam

Thanks guys! I’ll get an acid free document sleeved, put it in that and keep it in the safe. Last thing I want is for it to get ruined.

Great job, congratulations!

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.