British Headstamp on 30-06 cartridge

Thread: British Headstamp on 30-06 cartridge

Default British Headstamp on 30-06 cartridge

I was going through ammo and found some old 30-06 cartridges. The headstamp on several has a " T H " which I believe is the Royal Ordnance Factory at Thorpe Arch, Yorkshire? I am also guessing the date is April 1954 mfg. Can anyone confirm from the picture below? Also had separate ring around the primer?

I knew England was making 303 british but never knew they would also make 30-06 for us yanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200614_165917.jpg  

If it is confirmed that this round was produced at "Royal Ordnance Factory at Thorpe Arch" or ROFTA for short then this may explain it " ROFTA reopened in 1951 to provide war materials for the Korean War [1950-1953]. over 500 workers transferred from the MOS and the labour force was gradually increased to just over 2000." "At the time it was rumoured that at the time American money financed the reopening"

Download the .pdf file here:
    https://www.thorparchestate.co.uk/the-estate/history
    Our Government "If we didn't have mis-management, We wouldn't have any management at all"

Thanks for the confirmation and the info/history on the ROF Thorpe Arch!

p.s. "labour"...."rumoured"....me thinks you might be british?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

That one looks like French 30-06 to me.

NOT BRITISH! That ammo is 150% French. TH is the manufacturer, and S is the metal supplier. VERY corrosive ammo.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Quote Originally Posted by jonny c. View Post
    NOT BRITISH! That ammo is 150% French. TH is the manufacturer, and S is the metal supplier. VERY corrosive ammo.
    Johnny,

OK. What french factory is it? There was a TH in cartridge collectors website that said "unknown french"?

I am going to pull the bullets, fertilize the garden and dump the brass.

thanks.

PS Never heard from Doc AV on the Italian ammo factory production numbers on the 7.35 carcano?

Looks French to me. I've had other French 30-06 in the past and it looked like that. 7.62mm modele 1949 they call it.
    The reference book I've here says Cartoucherie de la Seine (Groupement des Trefileries du Havre)

Well thanks to Liberty, Jonny c & MkVII for the answer. I put it in British section thinking it was UK stuff ...but shows that this stuff can be difficult to identify.

I did see on page 161 of attachment a french headstamp with similar markings and orientation, etc.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a165896.pdf

First source I grabbed confirms Mk VII's info.
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

Should they move this thread to the 'french" section?

Merci

In 1954 Britain was using traditional inch measurements for most cartridges and had not yet gone for the metrical measurement of “7.62”

Well in keeping with the spirit of the OP's original intent, I have some British 30-06 stamped K 69. I am electronically challenged so cannot post pics. Frank