No 1 Mk 3 Magazine Follower Stuck After Loading 6-7 Rounds

Thread: No 1 Mk 3 Magazine Follower Stuck After Loading 6-7 Rounds

Default No 1 Mk 3 Magazine Follower Stuck After Loading 6-7 Rounds

As the title states, now that I have a decent stockpile of .303 British, I was practicing loading the magazine with the chargers. I did notice that my magazine follower gets "stuck" on the side walls of the magazine after loading 6-7 rounds. I was able to repeat the same issue just by pushing down the follower with a finger. Smacking the magazine doesn't free up the follower, and I need to pry the magazine walls out slightly to cause it to spring back.

I disassembled the magazine and sanded down the edges of the follower in case there were any burrs causing "hot spots". I also used sandpaper to brush off any rust or buildup on the inside walls of the magazine that may cause this hang up. I lubricated everything and gave it another attempt, but the issue persists.

I am open to any suggestions to remedy this issue before I take circlip expander pliers to try and "bend" out the magazine walls. If nothing else, I could just try a different magazine sourced online.

No responses to this thread, so either I am missing something obvious or its a headscratcher. Anyway, I found a relatively inexpensive SMLE magazine online. Should be coming in Monday and hopefully can load more than 7 rounds into it without getting stuck.

Hard to tell without having the mag in hand but I’m guessing either a dented mag or possibly a 7.62/.308 mag.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Look for a ding in the side wall ,may just be squeezed in from both sides. The armourers had a suitable shaped sized steel piece to rectify this issue.

Default Body shop

You could try fabricating a small hardwood dolly which will fit through the magazine opening and then be used to gently iron out the sidewalls. From the inside. Slowly and gently. Good luck.
    “Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks I will go over the walls for dents and see if anything can be rectified.

Sometimes there are not even visible dents, the mag has just gotten "squeezed" somehow, and you have to reverse the process (if possible). There have been instances when I have just thrown in the towel, and got another mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexei View Post
    Sometimes there are not even visible dents, the mag has just gotten "squeezed" somehow, and you have to reverse the process (if possible). There have been instances when I have just thrown in the towel, and got another mag.

What I did was use a set of expanding pliers to "massage" the magazine walls in all areas a bit in a pattern, enough to seemingly make a difference without hampering fitment into the magazine well of the receiver. This seems to have worked. Time will tell if it will hold up. If it doesn't there is always the spare magazine to try out!

Replacement magazine from Liberty Tree Collectors came in the mail finally (after doing a couple of unnecessary laps around the midwest thanks to USPS). Thankfully it had a lot of original bluing and fits very snugly into the magazine well. It loads 10 rounds with extreme ease compared to my re-bent original magazine. I will keep the original one in the safe for record, but will be running this replacement at the range.

Here is a technique for distorted magazines. If you have access to a workshop vice. Mount it front to back and gently tighten, watch for the sides to move outward. Often this is all it takes for any mag.

That's a trick I'm afraid to tell people about. I have a friend who's interpretation of 'gently' means less than gorilla force applied.

But it is a trick that works.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    That's a trick I'm afraid to tell people about. I have a friend who's interpretation of 'gently' means less than gorilla force applied.

But it is a trick that works.

You mean he takes off the 6' cheater bar and just uses a 3' one ?
    When I'm gone, tell my wife to sell my 'toys' for what they are worth, NOT what I said I paid for them.

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever".

Quote Originally Posted by Alan De Enfield View Post
    You mean he takes off the 6' cheater bar and just uses a 3' one ?
    Something like that. Can't figure out why he strips more brass fittings and breaks more bolts than anyone else. The locking rings on reloading dies? I stopped counting his replacements back in the 80's.
    Heart of gold though. If you broke down out on the road at 3am, he'd be the one to call.

Ontario's Near North, near Algonquin Park.

Liberty. The problem that I found with squeezing the mag lengthwise to open the sides is that the mag might now be loose in the mag well on the release catch and rattle front to back. In extreme condition, it might no longer seat properly and the bolt might not pick up all the rounds, especially the last one.

An armourer would have a solid mandrel to slip the mag body over and a precision hammer to beat it true.
    Look to your front, mark your target when it comes!

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman_ca View Post
    Liberty. The problem that I found with squeezing the mag lengthwise to open the sides is that the mag might now be loose in the mag well on the release catch and rattle front to back. In extreme condition, it might no longer seat properly and the bolt might not pick up all the rounds, especially the last one.

An armourer would have a solid mandrel to slip the mag body over and a precision hammer to beat it true.
    That's the part where the word gently is most misunderstood. Hand pressure is enough but the vise applies it more evenly.
    The way it was explained to me in a nutshell, use a block of wood to ever-so-slightly open the sides a tad. Then, only use a padded vise to help the deflection take a set. If you begin to feel the vise tighten then you're going too far.
    I concur you most certainly don't want to crush the mag lengthwise.

I have used it in the past as an almost last ditch effort to save an otherwise FUBAR mag. The wood block itself is a safer method and sliding sheet metal or brass shim stock in along the side if it needs to go a RCH further.